Contribute
Register

GTX 970 not being detected by OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really weird, I never downloaded a config from anywhere or anything, I just followed the guides. After installing OSX, I installed clover, clover config, and multibeast. I also tried generating a config with CC and the issue is still there with that. Maybe I should try a fresh install?

The reason I say it wasn't generated by either of those is because it contains lots of weird entries that I don't normally see. If it formatted wrong that could cause issues with Clover Configurator not being able to read it properly.

Before doing a fresh install, try setting up emulated NVRAM which should fix the issue with the driver defaulting to the OS X default driver. Follow the steps for Problem #6 here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

The reason I say it wasn't generated by either of those is because it contains lots of weird entries that I don't normally see. If it formatted wrong that could cause issues with Clover Configurator not being able to read it properly.

Before doing a fresh install, try setting up emulated NVRAM which should fix the issue with the driver defaulting to the OS X default driver. Follow the steps for Problem #6 here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

Will give a try in about an hour.

If I do a fresh install, the process to getting a working config is:

Install OSX>Boot OSX>Set up multibeast>Reboot>Install Clover>Open Clover Configurator and edit boot variables>Save config>reboot

Right?

Is there a specific step where I should install NVIDIA Web Drivers? Or should it matter?

After rebooting and selecting NVIDIA Web Drivers after this fix, the preference is now set to NVIDIA Web Driver, but the GPU still shows as NVIDIA Chip Model 5mb, and is not recognized by ECC or CUDA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 2.01.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 2.01.21 PM.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 82

Fresh install completed, web drivers installed, after changing boot variable to nvda_drv=1 and unchecking nv_disable=1, the system boots, but after loading (apple logo bar), the signal is lost from the GPU, but the computer is functional. What might that be?

Edit: When the Apple Logo screen finishes loading, the CPU fan also speeds up and gets loud for half a second or so.

UPDATE: I unplugged the DP from my GPU, then plugged it back in, and now getting signal! NDM still showing OS X Default Graphics Driver selected. Going to re-apply the fix you suggested to see if that helps. Will update post. Added screenshots.

UPDATE 2: Noticed that every time I reboot, the screen goes black after the apple screen, fan still gets nice and loud, and signal is cut until I unplug and replug in the DP. Similar problem now to a poster here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/el-capitan-gtx-970-displayport.175322/

Still reading through threads...

SUCCESS: Turns out my monitor (DELL U3415W) had DP 1.2 enabled in its settings. After disabling that, the computer now boots up fine with the GPU. Fan still goes loud for a half-second upon getting past the loading screen, but I can live with that.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.32.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.32.38 PM.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.33.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.33.07 PM.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
xaxa. :)
I have same problem on Sierra and can not resolve from 6 mount. Before GTX 970-4GB I have GTX760-2GB and I things the problem was coming from GTX760 and I bought a new GTX970 and still same problem. I resolve my problem like that.
Wen coming apple logo I power off monitor from button and wait 2 sec to switch power ON and everything are OK well after that. Sleep monitor ,deep sleep everything work just fine.
The problem coming not from DP cable, problem is from resolution I use LG 29" 2560x1080, If I use my TV 1920x1080 everything work.
other solution are if you use 2 monitor , wen I use DP for monitor and HDMI to TV bios and apple logo reload in TV and desktop reload on LG monitor, but there is other problem display can not sleep. they sleep for 20 sec and turn power on waiting 10 sec with sign no signal and again power off .... waiting more 20 sec and again repeat again and again.
So if you found any solution please write.
I remember right now one day I read some post with problem SwitchResX , but no success.
So not forget me if you find solution.
I wish you good luck.

Fresh install completed, web drivers installed, after changing boot variable to nvda_drv=1 and unchecking nv_disable=1, the system boots, but after loading (apple logo bar), the signal is lost from the GPU, but the computer is functional. What might that be?

Edit: When the Apple Logo screen finishes loading, the CPU fan also speeds up and gets loud for half a second or so.

UPDATE: I unplugged the DP from my GPU, then plugged it back in, and now getting signal! NDM still showing OS X Default Graphics Driver selected. Going to re-apply the fix you suggested to see if that helps. Will update post. Added screenshots.

UPDATE 2: Noticed that every time I reboot, the screen goes black after the apple screen, fan still gets nice and loud, and signal is cut until I unplug and replug in the DP. Similar problem now to a poster here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/el-capitan-gtx-970-displayport.175322/

Still reading through threads...

SUCCESS: Turns out my monitor (DELL U3415W) had DP 1.2 enabled in its settings. After disabling that, the computer now boots up fine with the GPU. Fan still goes loud for a half-second upon getting past the loading screen, but I can live with that.

The fans spinning up is normal. For some reason not all monitors work with DP1.2 enabled. My Dell U2415 works fine with 1.2 enabled.

FYI, the most recent config you posted looks normal.

Last edited:
The fans spinning up is normal. For some reason not all monitors work with DP1.2 enabled. My Dell U2415 works fine with 1.2 enabled.

FYI, the most recent config you posted looks normal.

Perfect. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back