Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
so ati has r9 290 for 199 for black friday..

um yea that kills the 970 imo.

The R9 290 will boost your monthly energy bill.

Thanks for the instructions! I'm going to follow them, as a first time builder.

Can I ask what motherboard you're using?

Does anyone know what the real differences are between the Z97X UD3h v UD5H? Is it just ports?
Which is more suited to video editing?

I hear the UD3H is harder to get working? Does anyone have any experience with that?

I am using a Gigabyte motherboard, GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT. I have a build thread up now with a bit more detail, it also covers the card in there as well. Here is a link.

As for the motherboards, the UD3H and UD5H are very similar, looks like the UD5H has a few more goodies and USB 3.0 ports than the UD3H, you'll have to decide if your build needs those now in or in the future. Both should be easy to get running, but if you've read about issues with the UD3H the extra 20 dollars may be worth it. I'm not sure either is more or less suited to video editing.

Best of luck with your decision of MB's!

Got a Gigabyte GTX 970 itx version working with 2 displays, 1 DVI and other thru DP to DVI adapter. The other DVI, HDMI and other 2 DP do not work, but I only need the 2. As the drivers get updated I'll be checking the other ports.

yea as excited as I am about the 970

black friday has me pointing towards the 290x ..

It works otb from what I can tell so far. Im also running 1440p so it will help with that more than a 970..

What I wana know is what plug and play amd cards did the mac pro bring? dude those firepros are tottaly proprietary and break my heart.

I want to know what cores EXACTLy are beeing used. since the 290x works otb I would gabmle that the d500 is same.

might even be like 7970. I have heard of softmoding a radeon card to run as firepro card.. would be neat to see this translated to hackintosh.

maybe if we find the retail version of the d300-700 and trick osx into thinking its the firepro it will do the soft moding for you.

EDIT. doing my own research the firepro d700 most closely resembles the FirePro W9000 (identical infact) which is a tahiti xt card.. so in theory any tahati xt card should work native?

r9 280 and 280x look like d300 d500. not exact just a guess. but from what I understand those do not work OTB with yosemite?

I've read a few times that specific ports on the graphics card are not working but I don't know which one.

I'd like to get the Asus STRIX 970 with 2xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xDP and my display only accepts HDMI and DP. Is there any problem? (I'd like to get the STRIX layout because I read that it's very silent and cools completely passive when not under load)

One last question: Will an DVI to DP adapter add input lag? :)

Hi guys

Apologies for dual posting in the post-install section, just wondering if someone can help me.

I've got everything up and running, and the card boots well into OS X 10.10.1. I'm using the web driver, as the native driver brings the system down to its knees. I've also got CUDA driver running, but not tested.

Problem I have, is that I only have 1080P as the maximum resolution I can select over HDMI. I'm connected into a Samsung 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0 ports and supports 4K/60P.

Is it possible that the card can detect the cable that I have and the cable is not capable? I assumed it would just try but fail or have artefacts. I can use the same cable with my MacBook Pro (late 2013) at 4K/30p.

Bit confused to be honest :).

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys

Apologies for dual posting in the post-install section, just wondering if someone can help me.

I've got everything up and running, and the card boots well into OS X 10.10.1. I'm using the web driver, as the native driver brings the system down to its knees. I've also got CUDA driver running, but not tested.

Problem I have, is that I only have 1080P as the maximum resolution I can select over HDMI. I'm connected into a Samsung 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0 ports and supports 4K/60P.

Is it possible that the card can detect the cable that I have and the cable is not capable? I assumed it would just try but fail or have artefacts. I can use the same cable with my MacBook Pro (late 2013) at 4K/30p.

Bit confused to be honest :).

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried a DP to HDMI Adapter?
People reported this works.

Have you tried a DP to HDMI Adapter?
People reported this works.

I was under the impression that DP to HDMI adapters didn't support 4k? That's what the consensus was when investigating my MacBook Pro GTX750M connected to the same panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back