Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. Cheers and thanks. I'm assuming the 970 is a card that will be usable in future endeavors?

...I was hoping I could disable the card and just use the integrated GPU from my i5 but now it sounds like that's not a thing?

Disabling is no problem if you're using Chimera/Chameleon, I've got a GTX-750 TI and a GTX-970 in my system and I'm running OSX with internal graphics as primary graphics.

1) Open UEFI settings and set internal graphics to be used first at boot
2) Install your Maxwell graphics card(s) if not done yet
2) In Chimera/Chameleon boot menu boot with the nv_diable=1 flag
3) In OS X put nv_disable=1 flag into your org.chameleon.boot.plist

With clover I've got no experience, but I it may work similar.

If this is with Mavericks, that is awesome news.

I have some good news for everyone but I can't talk about it yet. All I will say is it is good news on multiple levels of hardware.

Does your future news include the gtx 980? and, will this future news be applicable to my notherboard by any chance? GA-Z87X-UD7 TH... I ask this becauase I am still within the return/exchange period with my GTX770 4GB SC. Do you think I should return my current card and get the GTX 980?

My board had issues getting HDMI working becase it has a PCI bridge...

Also, If I can disable the GTX 980 and use onboard graphix for OSX and use the GTX980 in windows 8 that would be acceptable.

Please advise, Thanks so much :headbang:

I think he's talking about a rumored 4K iMac. Given that the 980m was released today and it's more than capable of pushing 4K (iMacs use mobile GPUs) it wouldn't surprise me.

If that happens that means Maxwell support in OS X, which would be pretty exciting.

Well if I was in your position and the price difference isn't to big I would do it since it performs in windows at the same level as a GTX 780ti with way less power draw and new software features such as DSR etc.

As for your motherboard I think there is a setting to use your iGPU over your PCIe GPU but I don't own a gigabyte board so I can't check for you.

Edit: http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/141637-gtx-970-gtx-980-here-6.html#post881867

I would PM you but I can't since my post count in under 75 :crazy:

I have some good news for everyone but I can't talk about it yet. All I will say is it is good news on multiple levels of hardware.

I'm excited for this news as well. Planning to upgrade my gtx 660ti to gtx 970 so hopefully your good news will include that. :mrgreen:

What I've read around the web I suppose it has to do something with a national park in California?! ;)

I got my GTX 970 today and will start testing as soon as I can in the next days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back