Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just got the asus GTX970 4gb, and I'm having serious issues on the mac side.

The white apple loading screen just freezes. I have tried to put in my USB that has the installers for the hackintosh build, but no go.

Will add more information when asked, but I'm lost in the sauce right now ._.

GA-z87-HD3
i5 4670

It's a bug in the latest drivers. Use one monitor for startup, then attach the second.
If you only have one monitor I can't help you.

OK, got them downloaded and installed, but no files to work with. Got a link to a test file you want run - say one you have already run and know time results on for comparison to my system? I don't normally work with this type of app, but I enjoy learning.

CUDA is active and the GPU does show up properly:

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 7.24.09 AM.png

OK, got them downloaded and installed, but no files to work with. Got a link to a test file you want run - say one you have already run and know time results on for comparison to my system? I don't normally work with this type of app, but I enjoy learning.

CUDA is active and the GPU does show up properly:

View attachment 123347

I was able to get it up and running and see what you see as well. I've never used the standalone app. I found a sample file here and ran a batch render: https://render.otoy.com/downloads/OctaneRender_1_20_DemoSuite.zip

It looks like it was utilizing cuda in the bg. Even though it didn't render anything.

The issue I'm having with C4D (where I'm trying to use it), still isn't working though.

If you install the c4d demo and the octane plugin for c4d, under plugins, octane settings, there is a check box for GTX 980 that is deselected by default. You can select this, then go to c4d's render settings, select the octane render tab to activate, create a cube or a sphere (or anything for that matter) then hit command R to render the screen. I still get the error message that there is no cuda device. It also will deselect the GTX 980 in the settings if I close the window.

On the Windows side of things, I ran the same test and didn't even have to select the 980. It was already the default and rendered without error.

I'm wondering if there is a list file like with Adobe that keeps C4D or C4D Octane from recognizing the 980 on a Mac.

If you guys are able to help figure this out, you'd be a life saver!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 8.14.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 8.14.29 AM.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 8.05.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 8.05.06 AM.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 194
I gotta watch that octane tutorial. I've never been able to use GPU rendering in C4D due to my previous card not being able to keep up. GPU is used in C4D's Physical renderer, right? I gotta try this out. Part of my motivation for this build was to have a machine that could keep up with what I want to do in C4D. Now I've got some catching up to do.

For now, Octane Demo recognizes CUDA, but I don't have any project files to test out.
View attachment 123314

Jnelly, all of C4D's renderers (Advanced & Physical) are CPU based. The only available GPU based renderer for C4D is Octane, which is why it's so important that I figure out how to get it working with the Hackintosh and my GTX 980. That's the only reason why I bought such a powerful card. It works fine in Windows, but I'd hate to have it not work on Macs.

I'm wondering if there is a list file like with Adobe that keeps C4D or C4D Octane from recognizing the 980 on a Mac.

If you guys are able to help figure this out, you'd be a life saver!
I watched the demo video you linked. One thing is for sure - I don't have the patience to sit there and do that for a living.

OK, got the C4D installed and activated and copied the Octane plugin per the directions.

Dropped a teapot image in and opened the Octane plugin and the dialog and screen opened, but it went immediately to the beachball of death. Had to forcequit C4D. Any suggestions?

Or is it just not going to run on DDR4 and X99 platform?
Using the Octane demo and opening one of the files in the link above, this is what I see:
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 1.13.34 PM.png

Not sure if there should be anything in the top pane there or not.

I watched the demo video you linked. One thing is for sure - I don't have the patience to sit there and do that for a living.

OK, got the C4D installed and activated and copied the Octane plugin per the directions.

Dropped a teapot image in and opened the Octane plugin and the dialog and screen opened, but it went immediately to the beachball of death. Had to forcequit C4D. Any suggestions?

Or is it just not going to run on DDR4 and X99 platform?
Using the Octane demo and opening one of the files in the link above, this is what I see:
View attachment 123410

Not sure if there should be anything in the top pane there or not.

It definitely works with DDR 3. I have a Windows 8 Partition and octane runs flawlessly with the same hardware in C4D.

It's not crashing on my end in C4D, but I do get that error message. What I would suggest is creating a new C4D file, going to the create menu, object, sphere. Go to plugins, octane, settings, settings, and ensure that the GTX 980 is selected. Go to render, edit render settings, and under renderer there's a drop down tab for which type. Select octane. From this point on, hitting command R should render anything in the viewport with octane. That's where I get the message that there's no CUDA device. Let me know if you run into this same problem.

Behind patience is $$$$$$$ :)

It definitely works with DDR 3. I have a Windows 8 Partition and octane runs flawlessly with the same hardware in C4D.

It's not crashing on my end in C4D, but I do get that error message. What I would suggest is creating a new C4D file, going to the create menu, object, sphere. Go to plugins, octane, settings, settings, and ensure that the GTX 980 is selected. Go to render, edit render settings, and under renderer there's a drop down tab for which type. Select octane. From this point on, hitting command R should render anything in the viewport with octane. That's where I get the message that there's no CUDA device. Let me know if you run into this same problem.

Behind patience is $$$$$$$ :)

No error message. What I see is Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 2.07.42 PM.jpg

I notice clock countdown start rendering in bottom left corner. If I click on the sphere once this clock is counting I get the beachball of death and have to force quit to get out of C4D.

EDIT - OK, start C4D again, GTX980 is selected, Octane settings are correct, render is Octane,
file->new
create ->object->pyramid

I can move the figure around, modify the vertices to make it taller, make the base broader, etc.
Command+R and the clock in the lower left starts counting. How long does it take at this point where all that is changed is the basic shape to make it a bit larger? How do I know if anything is happening? Is there something else I should do before I hit Command+R?

No error message. What I see is View attachment 123416

I notice clock countdown start rendering in bottom left corner. If I click on the sphere once this clock is counting I get the beachball of death and have to force quit to get out of C4D.

EDIT - OK, start C4D again, GTX980 is selected, Octane settings are correct, render is Octane,
file->new
create ->object->pyramid

I can move the figure around, modify the vertices to make it taller, make the base broader, etc.
Command+R and the clock in the lower left starts counting. How long does it take at this point where all that is changed is the basic shape to make it a bit larger? How do I know if anything is happening? Is there something else I should do before I hit Command+R?

If you hit command R it should render into a beige box with watermarks on the top left of the viewer. I left out that Octane only renders polygons, so you have to take your object and hit C to make sure it's editable geo, but it sounds like you already got there if you were pulling vertices. See attached pic for how it looks in Windows.

Alternate to command C, shift C renders to the official renderer. You could try that as well. You're not doing anything wrong though. I did the same steps, but I get an error message and you get a beach ball. Which Nvidia and CUDA drivers are you on?

Attachments

• IMG_9889.JPG
    IMG_9889.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 149
So guys what about GTX 980 and dual monitors on Yosemite? Is it works or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back