Contribute
Register

GTX 970 / GTX 980 are here

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the novices out there who are trying to install these cards in an older Mac Pro, can anyone kindly suggest a simple step by step process? I've read this thread thoroughly and bounced from one link to another. After 3 days of no luck i will either have to return the cards i purchased or try and get a local shop to do the install, although some won't even touch the install, citing a software, not a hardware issue. I've installed all the latest drivers but am obviously missing some crucial step. Upon boot up i just get a black screen. I've installed a couple of ATI cards before and they worked immediately, didn't realize the process with the EVGA GeForce cards would be so complicated.

Here is my set up...

2010 Mac Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
AX860 power supply
Running Yosemite Version 10.10.1
Installed the latest Nvidia driver (343.01.02f01)
Cuba Driver 6.5.33

Tonymac's suggestions listed here seam simple enough, the first step anyways, but once there is mention of navigating to chameleon and adding strings of text, i'm at a loss as to how to do this.

Tonymacs instructions

I've also looked at spballer's #138 post and his build, guess i'm missing some steps because i can't get Tonymac's UniBeast/MultiBeast working and i'm assuming this is what i'm missing to have my cards be recognized?

Thanks for any of your help and or suggestions.
First, update to 10.10.1

Using older GPU in the MP, install the correct nVidia Web drivers. Repair perms and rebuild caches.
Reboot. You should see an nVidia icon in the command bar next to the clock. Open the nVidia control panel and select to use the nVidia drivers.
Shut down. Remove old GPU, install GTX980.
Boot.

Bad OpenCL performance

I have an EVGA GTX 980 Classified in my Hackintosh, running the latest Nvidia Web Driver 343.02.01f01. However, I only got 2690 in LuxMark and 52 seconds in BruceX. I just realized today that the 980, at least under current circumstances, is a bad choice for me since I use Final Cut Pro X.

For your monitor, just try to use DisplayPort whenever possible if you need 3840x2160x60. If your display only has HDMI ports, then consider buying a DisplayPort to HDMI2.0 adapter. Be sure to read the reviews for these adapters as many are not actually able to do 4K@60Hz.

Just checked for an UPDATE in the CUDA system preferences and it downloaded a new update!!

CUDA 6.5.36 - However it still doesn't fix the problem with After Effects CC 2014

At least it doesn't say update required - no newer updates anymore. . .

Any one else try it yet?

Hmm I guess I should have read this first. . .

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/index.html#Nvidia_CUDA_Updates

When I updated via the CUDA Preference pane it installed 6.5.36

However here's a version 6.5.37 specifically for GTX 980's

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.5.37-driver.html

I had to manually download and install.

CUDA-Z's performance tab now correctly displays information. . .

CUDA works for Premiere Pro CC 2014
I used the PPBM8(Premiere Pro Bench Mark 8) Project File to do some test renders

CUDA Render 106 Seconds
OpenCL Rendered at 115 Seconds

DaVinci Resolve 11 works with this CUDA update and I get about 60 FPS playback rate with basic LUT and Color Correction

After Effects CC 2014 - Good and Bad news. . .
CUDA Driver 6.5 now shows up in the preferences->Previews->GPU Information

However still gives a variety of errors when trying to render with the GPU enabled!

Getting closer. . .

Attachments

• CUDA-Z.png
    CUDA-Z.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 641
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.05.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.05.08 PM.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.06.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.06.31 PM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.06.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.06.41 PM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 143
Hello everyone,

I am trying to install 10.10.1 on a system that contains
i7-4790K
GA-Z97N-WIFI rev 1.0
EVGA GTX980 SC

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong and the system does not understand the video card.

I have used the UniBeast 5.0.2 for boot USB
Change the BIOS settings (VT-d=disable, display output=IGX, Intel Processor Graphics=Enable, wake on Lan=disable)
Installation via the onboard card (with the 980 connected and without the 980 connected)
Multibeast Yosemite 7.1.1 installation
reboot
cudadriver-6.5.37-macos & WebDriver-343.02.01f01 installation, selection of the NVIDIA web Driver
Reboot and bios change to PCI slot, cable slot change (DVI)

and what I get is this...

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.10.39 PM.png

also the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file contains the line

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

as it should (right?)

any idea/suggestion?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install 10.10.1 on a system that contains
i7-4790K
GA-Z97N-WIFI rev 1.0
EVGA GTX980 SC

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong and the system does not understand the video card.

I have used the UniBeast 5.0.2 for boot USB
Change the BIOS settings (VT-d=disable, display output=IGX, Intel Processor Graphics=Enable, wake on Lan=disable)
Installation via the onboard card (with the 980 connected and without the 980 connected)
Multibeast Yosemite 7.1.1 installation
reboot
cudadriver-6.5.37-macos & WebDriver-343.02.01f01 installation, selection of the NVIDIA web Driver
Reboot and bios change to PCI slot, cable slot change (DVI)

and what I get is this...

View attachment 122585

also the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file contains the line

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

as it should (right?)

any idea/suggestion?
You boot to BIOS and change first init display to PCIe instead of IGFX?
Might also try with npci=0x2000 boot flag

I'm thinking of building a hackintosh with a gtx 970 for adobe AE video editing. Could someone explain to me this cuda thing?
From reading this thread it seems that the gtx 970 doesnt play well with the current drivers for OS X. Does this mean if i purchase the gtx 970, AE won't use my gpu at all? is there any work around? Could i use an AMD based card instead? if so, what would be a comparable card? Would AE use it?

"You boot to BIOS and change first init display to PCIe instead of IGFX?"
Yes, after I am done with the nvidia drivers, I change it to PCIe.

"Might also try with npci=0x2000 boot flag"
On which boot of all? :)

"You boot to BIOS and change first init display to PCIe instead of IGFX?"
Yes, after I am done with the nvidia drivers, I change it to PCIe.

"Might also try with npci=0x2000 boot flag"
On which boot of all? :)

When you first boot up OS X. If this works for you, add it to boot flags in the org.chameleon.boot.plist

When you first boot up OS X. If this works for you, add it to boot flags in the org.chameleon.boot.plist

I have no words to thank you!

I used the command you said after a fresh installation et voilà!

Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 9.59.58 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back