Contribute
Register

GTX 660 underperforming in Sierra. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the delay, everyone. Besides the usual work stuff, I had my bike stolen last night, so I've been running around trying to track down security footage and the relevant police....

Anyway, here's the update: I recreated the Ubuntu boot drive using Rufus on one of the ancient Windows machines at work (I haven't got a Windows PC of my own). Rufus seemed to do its thing happily enough, but the end result still won't boot. Here's the error this time. I can't tell if that's due to a failing GPU or if i should try Rufus again (maybe on yet another computer), but it is worth noting that some of the text has now also gone pink for no apparent reason. That sounds like the GPU again, no?

Thanks!

what error?... vid shows nothing of any value, other than the pink text - which you already know you have - so something's goofy... as to errors, a linux install's verbose text display while booting will show all kinds of interpreted errors as it probes your hardware and installs... did you not get a desktop?

but wait a second... you said you had the same artifacts (I assumed, lines) occurring in xp as well as macos... so I looked at the vid... I didn't see them... I saw an xp installation with poor gfx response - possibly no gfx acceleration or driverless... impossible to tell from here... did you not install the gfx driver in xp?...

as to linux, an install should give you a live desktop running from the usb stick - no need to actually install the distribution, unless you want to install the nvidia recommended driver... a reboot to an installation shouldn't be necessary to ascertain a faulty display with pink lines... but gfx acceleration issues? - you may need to install the driver after a disk install...

although it may have been easier to boot into a linux dist and install the nvidia recommended driver - you chose xp... and it only looked unaccelerated - no lines... so maybe you're not done... a bad card? -maybe not... but you're not following directions - re-seating the card means re-seat it in the same slot, not move it... is the slot you moved it to the same speed as the primary slot?...

a usb stick install isn't hard, but maybe this is over your head - no insult intended... have you ever installed a linux dist from a usb?... usb sticks can be tricky... you originally said you were having issues with usb sticks or ports - can't remember... rufus from an ancient windows machine? - eff that...

it seems unnecessary now to mess with linux... but if you insist on checking it in linux - and you're in new territory, forget ubuntu... get a linux mint distribution - burn the iso to a disc and boot the damn box... do you have a cd/dvd drive installed in this machine?... or keep playing with the usb stick - whatever...

in closing, read what I've written in my last two messages... read it carefully, then re-read it - and then read it again... and do exactly what I outlined... re-read my suggestions on messing with the card... or don't...

Last edited:
what error?... vid shows nothing of any value, other than the pink text - which you already know you have - so something's goofy... as to errors, a linux install's verbose text display while booting will show all kinds of interpreted errors as it probes your hardware and installs... did you not get a desktop?

No, no desktop. This is as far as I could get. The drive I created is probably no good, then.
And the pink lines - as we've seen - are inconsistent. I thought it was worth documenting that they appeared in this case and not some others.

but wait a second... you said you had the same artifacts (I assumed, lines) occurring in xp as well as macos... so I looked at the vid... I didn't see them... I saw an xp installation with poor gfx response - possibly no gfx acceleration or driverless... impossible to tell from here... did you not install the gfx driver in xp?...

I did not install drivers. I can try tonight. It seemed to me that the poor performance was similar to the poor performance I saw in OS X, but I included the videos side-by-side because I wanted to give those of us more attuned to the nuances of these problems a chance to verify (or not). Sorry. I stand corrected.

although it may have been easier to boot into a linux dist and install the nvidia recommended driver - you chose xp... and it only looked unaccelerated - no lines... so maybe you're not done... a bad card? -maybe not... but you're not following directions - re-seating the card means re-seat it in the same slot, not move it... is the slot you moved it to the same speed as the primary slot?...

I wasn't clear about that. Originally, I had the card in the PCIEX16_1 slot. I tested it in the PCIEX16_2 slot but got identical results. I moved the card back to the PCIEX16_1 slot. I thought that amounted to reseating it. I should have said so.

a usb stick install isn't hard, but maybe this is over your head - no insult intended... have you ever installed a linux dist from a usb?... usb sticks can be tricky... you originally said you were having issues with usb sticks or ports - can't remember... rufus from an ancient windows machine? - eff that...

The usb stick install has so far been beyond me. I am still trying. I haven't generally had USB problems with the computer, no. I am making sure to use USB 2.0 slots. The drive shows up reliably. I've been able to boot Sierra from USB etc. That hasn't been a problem so far.

it seems unnecessary now to mess with linux... but if you insist on checking it in linux - and you're in new territory, forget ubuntu... get a linux mint distribution - burn the iso to a disc and boot the damn box... do you have a cd/dvd drive installed in this machine?... or keep playing with the usb stick - whatever...

I was pursuing Ubuntu because it's what you lovely people advised. My only cd drive is in the desktop that doesn't work, so I haven't been able to burn a disc. That's why I was trying to do the install via USB. That process got trickier than I expected. My only home computer is a Mac laptop, so I first tried to build the USB drive via UNetBootin. That didn't work. So I tried again using Rufus from a Windows machine at work. That's the failure I documented in my last post.

The point of the Ubuntu install, as I understand it, was just to test to see if the GPU was working. Since I was having so much difficulty finding or generating a bootable version of Linux - and since an XP install disc just fell into my lap - I thought I'd try installing that in the hopes that that would also be a viable test of the GPU.

I'm very grateful for all of your insights, and I'm trying my best to follow your instructions. Thanks again.

Last edited:
running a linux dist - ubuntu or mint, whatever - yes, the purpose is to install, add a known working driver by nvidia (if necessary and for yucks) for that os and your card and verify the card's function - it's a go/no-go test... that's all... don't pull you hair out... but if you must torture yourself...

then a usb stick is the only alternative - and since you have no access to a current working, known stable Win box (how can that be?) - I suppose you need to (1) find an iso to usb prep-program for mac, (2) find a step-by-step tutorial, (3) follow the directions and create, on your mac, a bootable usb FOR A PC, from an iso image, (4) that will boot on your P7P55D box... insanity in action... again, finding a way to burn a damn optical disc and boot the freaking box seems simple enough - hell, an xp install will do that for you...

I have no idea what (usb/mac) program that would be, as all my hackintosh boxes are production machines that do only one thing and are never, ever connected to the internet... wait a sec... unetbootin is avail for macos - I just looked - I have no idea if it will create a bootable usb stick for your P7P55D box from an iso... I would think it would... never used unetbootin... I've only used dd and diskutil from the command line for mac, dd on unix or rufus on a win-box...

and just backing up a few steps, if you are 100% certain that the 660 gpu card fans are clean and functioning, that the power connectors are intact and unbroken - per my former instructions - and that all attempts to run either macos or win (in some prehistoric incarnation) yield similar deprecated results as displayed in your video WITHOUT A DRIVER, THAT'S TOTALLY UNNECESSARY FOR THAT CARD AND MacOS, maybe it's time to drop that card in the effing trash and move the hell on... I wouldn't, not until I was 100% certain it was toast, but that's me... good luck...

Last edited:
@84mac, @Adrian B, @VoiletDragon

Okay. Further attempts:

I (finally) burned an Ubuntu DVD. And I created a working Linux Mint USB stick.
Using the DVD and the GTX 660, the machine will not boot at all. Using the Mint drive, the machine will only boot in Compatibility Mode. I tested the DVD on another computer and can confirm that the DVD is good.

As a further test, I took out the 660 and put in an old video card - the GeForce 9500 GT I used to use. With that card, both the Ubuntu DVD and the Mint USB drive boot normally.

Does this confirm that the 660 is kaput? Should Ubu/Mint boot normally with a working GTX 660?

Tonight, I can perform whatever other tests on the GTX 660 y'all recommend - if any - from Mint (compatibility mode) or the Ubu DVD (if you can find a way to make it boot). Thanks again.

Last edited:
@84mac, @Adrian B, @VoiletDragon

Okay. I bit the bullet and bought a new card - a GTX 1060. Sure enough, it displays none of the problems I had before. It's up and running like a charm. I still have a couple of normal glitches to iron out - audio, messages, etc. - but I think we've found a conclusion to this thread.

I'm sorry there was so much confusion and frustration through all of this. Certainly some of it is due to my ineptitude. Some of it, though, I think stems from the fact that my GPU was working just well enough to make me think I was crazy.

Anyway, I'm SO grateful to you all for sticking it out with me. This community in general and you guys/gals in particular is/are incredible. Thank you so much.

... I look forward to seeing you in the next thread, when I inevitably need help with my remaining glitches. :)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back