Contribute
Register

GTX 660 underperforming in Sierra. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may also wish to attempt a Linux installation to see how that goes.

Embarrassingly, I am still struggling to make this happen. I was trying to put Ubuntu on a USB drive (the internet recommended UNetBootin), but that keeps failing. Sorry for the delay. Even the parts of this that're supposed to be easy are giving me grief.

Is there an obvious solution here? I've got the Ubuntu ISO...

I told him to do this two days ago...

You definitely did! Didn't mean to give you short shrift or anything; I just wanted to try what seemed like simpler solutions before going to this extreme. I appreciate the advice!

Last edited:
also, try a re-seat of the card... smells like a hardware issue to me...

While I struggle with getting a bootable version of Ubunto going, I did some more experiments. I removed the gpu and tried popping it in a different PCI slot. Same results.

Pink lines can be either a issue with the Card or Monitor.

Interestingly, the pink lines only appear on the first ASUS screen. After that, they disappear and everything looks normal... for a while. I've attached pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

The only other development is that I can no longer boot at all (with OR without nv_disable=1. Must be something to do with resetting the BIOS). Now, instead of the IOConsoleUsers line, i get the incomprehensible disaster in the third image.

IMG_0815.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0817.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0820.JPG.jpeg

While I struggle with getting a bootable version of Ubunto going, I did some more experiments. I removed the gpu and tried popping it in a different PCI slot. Same results.

Interestingly, the pink lines only appear on the first ASUS screen. After that, they disappear and everything looks normal... for a while. I've attached pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

The only other development is that I can no longer boot at all (with OR without nv_disable=1. Must be something to do with resetting the BIOS). Now, instead of the IOConsoleUsers line, i get the incomprehensible disaster in the third image.

View attachment 251409 View attachment 251411 View attachment 251412

Verify BIOS Settings. Did Ubuntu see your Graphics Card?

Verify BIOS Settings. Did Ubuntu see your Graphics Card?

I finally got UNetBootin to successfully do its thing, but now booting stalls at this screen:
IMG_0855.JPG

The timer keeps resetting to ten seconds. Pressing Tab gives me a command line reading > /ubnkern initrd=/ubninit.

That's all I can make it do now.

I don't suppose this problem is as simple as confirming the death of my GPU, is it?

Edit: since nothing works now, should I install the newer version of the BIOS for this board? Would that make a difference?

geez man... burn a dvd of ubuntu... or use rufus (if you have access to a win machine) to create a bootable usb... get to the desktop and confirm operation of the gfx card in linux - i.e, no artifacts...

don't flash the firmware until you confirm go/no-go of the gfx card... work the problem one step at a time.... don't change several things at once - you'll make yourself nuts...

Last edited:
i get the incomprehensible disaster in the third image.

See in the bottom left corner - "Still waiting for root device".
When installing this means that your USB flash drive cannot be found.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.

I finally got UNetBootin to successfully do its thing, but now booting stalls at this screen:
View attachment 252107

The timer keeps resetting to ten seconds. Pressing Tab gives me a command line reading > /ubnkern initrd=/ubninit.

That's all I can make it do now.

I don't suppose this problem is as simple as confirming the death of my GPU, is it?

Edit: since nothing works now, should I install the newer version of the BIOS for this board? Would that make a difference?

How did you create your Ubuntu Pen Drive? I don't use Unetbootin.

Update: While struggling to get/make a bootable copy of Ubuntu, I happened upon a WinXP install disc. I installed that, and it definitely displays similar artifacts to the ones I had in Sierra.

I suppose it's possible that windows XP is to blame somehow(?!), but this seems to me to corroborate the bad-GPU theory. (Bonus points to @84mac for getting it right in the first response. Also to @Adrian B and @VoiletDragon).

Further Update: Reconfirming that theory, neither the second dvi port nor the hdmi port on the card seems to transmit any signal. Only 1/3 outputs is working, and even that is doing poorly.

If that's the case, that's a bummer. I bought it a long time ago - and factory refurbished - but I only got a couple months of use out of it before things got wonky. Is the card salvageable or useful for anything? Warranties rarely cover years of disuse. I guess the next step is get a replacement and go from there?

Last edited:
from you description, it always smelled like a hardware issue to me... BUT... in your pics above (other than bios) I don't see any lines???.... maybe it's just your pics...

gfx cards rarely go fully dark instantly... they fail and deprecate their images gradually... ummm, did you software patch the hdmi output when you tested its output? (did xp support this? - can't remember) a linux distro would have been a better test... but no matter...

just for yucks... from a cold boot (cold machine powered off for several hours) are the lines present instantly at boot, or do they appear after a few moments of operation? - if the latter - this is thermal related... so then confirm that both fans are running/cooling the gpu chipset and there is no inordinate buildup of crud and dust inhibiting their operation... clean the card/fans carefully if necessary... if you have the chops, re-seat the heat sinks with new thermal paste...

also inspect the card for any obvious issues - the power supply cable to the card (gently wiggle the cable while the machine is running where it connects to the card - checking for intermittent connection) - also check for any cracked power connector headers - or loose pins on the power input connectors... other loose parts, bulging caps - or any obvious burned or dis-colored components that would denote an overheat or cooling failure - just about the only thing that's left... sorry to be so geek about this... I built my first computer with a soldering iron and wire-wrap over forty years ago...

at least you know now...

Last edited:
Update: While struggling to get/make a bootable copy of Ubuntu, I happened upon a WinXP install disc. I installed that, and it definitely displays similar artifacts to the ones I had in Sierra.

I suppose it's possible that windows XP is to blame somehow(?!), but this seems to me to corroborate the bad-GPU theory. (Bonus points to @84mac for getting it right in the first response. Also to @Adrian B and @VoiletDragon).

Further Update: Reconfirming that theory, neither the second dvi port nor the hdmi port on the card seems to transmit any signal. Only 1/3 outputs is working, and even that is doing poorly.

If that's the case, that's a bummer. I bought it a long time ago - and factory refurbished - but I only got a couple months of use out of it before things got wonky. Is the card salvageable or useful for anything? Warranties rarely cover years of disuse. I guess the next step is get a replacement and go from there?

If the HDMI Port or DVI Port not working that indicates a Hardware problem. As your getting artefacts maybe the Card is defective i.e faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back