Contribute
Register

GTX 660 underperforming in Sierra. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove battery and then refit battery. Go into BIOS and set up your settings again as it will reset to the factory default. If you update your BIOS to the newest version then you will also find that the factory settings are reset.

Some boards let you save your BIOS settings as a preset that you can then reapply by selecting your this preset. You will find out is your P7P55 board has this option in the instruction manual for the board.

Okay. It's later than I anticipated, but I'm gonna dive in and pull the battery.
For posterity: my current BIOS build is indeed 1602. I can potentially try 1703 later.

Id say reinstall. Don't install Nvidia Web Drivers. Also verify that Graphics is set to PEG in the BIOS.

I still don't see a Serial option in BIOS. But I also don't see a PEG option for graphics - or any graphics options, really. Is this normal? (I also can't explain the pink dotted lines on the BIOS screen. Those weren't always there, I don't think, but they don't seem to make a difference).
IMG_0786.JPG.jpeg

Okay. It's later than I anticipated, but I'm gonna dive in and pull the battery.
For posterity: my current BIOS build is indeed 1602. I can potentially try 1703 later.

I still don't see a Serial option in BIOS. But I also don't see a PEG option for graphics - or any graphics options, really. Is this normal? (I also can't explain the pink dotted lines on the BIOS screen. Those weren't always there, I don't think, but they don't seem to make a difference).
View attachment 251046

Pink lines can be either a issue with the Card or Monitor. Did you try a reinstall?

I think that at this point the card looks like it may be a factor. pink lines/artefacts suggest that the card is starting to fail which was also a suggestion given on the iMac thread that I linked to above getting the same kernel panic.

I would suggest that you see if you know anyone with a similar GPU that is macOS compatible to borrow to check. You may also wish to attempt a Linux installation to see how that goes.
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Pink lines can be either a issue with the Card or Monitor. Did you try a reinstall?

I think that at this point the card looks like it may be a factor. pink lines/artefacts suggest that the card is starting to fail which was also a suggestion given on the iMac thread that I linked to above getting the same kernel panic.

Aw, no. That's the worst possible news. :(
I did pull the battery out of the mobo and reset it (chose reset rather than load previous settings), but the pink lines persist.
I created a new USB boot drive, and I'll try that now, but I'm not optimistic.

Definitely don't know anyone with a similar card I can borrow. But I can try installing Ubuntu tonight.

Aw, no. That's the worst possible news. :(
I did pull the battery out of the mobo and reset it (chose reset rather than load previous settings), but the pink lines persist.
I created a new USB boot drive, and I'll try that now, but I'm not optimistic.

Definitely don't know anyone with a similar card I can borrow. But I can try installing Ubuntu tonight.

You don't need to install Ubuntu. You can just boot to the Desktop.

The OP isn't able to get to the desktop without using nv_disable=1. Attempting an Ubuntu installation would reveal how/if the GPU functions on a second operating system for comparison.

You can boot into the Desktop with Ubuntu without installing when booting from a USB.

FfEwE.png

also, try a re-seat of the card... smells like a hardware issue to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back