Contribute
Register

GTX 660 underperforming in Sierra. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try iMac 14,2 first as it used similar technology nvidia Kepler graphics. If you have problems revert to the above links in the graphics section that I listed above for problem solving. :thumbup:

In the "About This Mac" tab, the GPU is (mis)identified as "NVIDIA Chip Model 8 MB," but in the Clover boot menu, it's correctly identified as "EVGA GeForce GTX 660."

Is this a problem people encounter often? I've tried a few different boot options but clearly i've not got the right formula yet. A little help?
I have had an issue with the latest versions of the nVidia web driver not running the GTX 660 at full speed. For me the Apple-supplied default drivers work fine, so I have given up on the webdriver for now. I found it confusing as my GTX 650 Ti works fine with either driver, and the 660 did work with the web drivers in the past, but I am unsure when that stopped working for me. I tested on both my Z97 and Z77 systems with the same results. I fiddled with various settings to no avail.

Is there an easy way to test either of those hypotheses? The only thing that occurs to me is I could try to install Windows (blech) to see if the GPU runs normally. As for the CPU - the system identifies it properly, and, as you said, although it's dated, I don't think it's so primitive that it should be causing those problems under such light load.

a boot disc of ubu or mint linux would be how I would test it...

Try iMac 14,2 first as it used similar technology nvidia Kepler graphics. If you have problems revert to the above links in the graphics section that I listed above for problem solving. :thumbup:

I reran MultiBeast, redefined the system as iMac14,2, and rebooted. The system definition stuck, but nothing has changed. And I can now confirm: when i try to boot without nv_disable=1, the system hangs at this line:

"IO80211Interface::updateReport _peerManager is missing"

That means nothing to me, but the line immediately preceding it - "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0 sm 0x0" is a familiar frustration. I'm not sure if that's related.

I haven't done the fresh install yet because I wanted to see if some of these options might do the trick before nuking everything. But no luck yet. :(

Does the _peerManager line mean anything to you?

Edit: When I delete nv_disable=1, booting stalls at that IOConsoleUsers line even in safe mode.

I have had an issue with the latest versions of the nVidia web driver not running the GTX 660 at full speed. For me the Apple-supplied default drivers work fine, so I have given up on the webdriver for now. I found it confusing as my GTX 650 Ti works fine with either driver, and the 660 did work with the web drivers in the past, but I am unsure when that stopped working for me. I tested on both my Z97 and Z77 systems with the same results. I fiddled with various settings to no avail.

How underpowered was it? Did it seem like this issue? Because I'm not just a *little* underpowered... I'm totally freaking hamstrung. :/

How underpowered was it? Did it seem like this issue? Because I'm not just a *little* underpowered... I'm totally freaking hamstrung. :/

Using the Unigine Heaven benchmark (2560x1440) I would get 3-4 fps using webdrivers, and around 30fps with the Apple drivers. Similar results with CUDA-Z and Luxmark. BTW with my new GTX 1060 I get ~70fps.

@Adrian B I've booted from USB drive, and it's worth noting that now - pre-MultiBeast - the system already calls the GPU "NVIDIA Chip Model 8 MB."

Is that right? Should I expect MultiBeast to correct that? :/

[Edit: I ran MultiBeast with default legacy mode settings. Only boot flag is "dart=0," no Graphics Injector settings ticked. The last thing on-screen before the screen goes blank is the IOConsoleUsers line.]

Last edited:
I've got almost everything running as it should, finally, but I'm still having graphics problems.

Here's a video of the kind of problems I mean: graphics get choppy over very simple things. Sometimes it'll play video but rarely at full screen.

In the "About This Mac" tab, the GPU is (mis)identified as "NVIDIA Chip Model 8 MB," but in the Clover boot menu, it's correctly identified as "EVGA GeForce GTX 660."

Is this a problem people encounter often? I've tried a few different boot options but clearly i've not got the right formula yet. A little help?

NVIDIA Chip Model 8 MB indicates that you have Inject Nvdia/Yes in config. GTX660 is native how ever injection and Nvidia Web Drivers are not needed.

A GTX 660 should have the correct video memory amount recognised correctly - 8mb is clearly not correct. This indicates that the nvidia driver is not active - the kext will not have loaded. Why this is the case I am not clear.

There should be no graphics injection for nvidia, AMD or Intel. nv_disable=1 should not be present. You also do not need to use dart=0 with your hardware. Did you find any Serial port in the BIOS to disable?

MultiBeast will not correct how the GPU card is registered within macOS - that is really down to the drivers to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back