Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I don't know if it's really mandatory... but for me it worked.
I just did a clean install High Sierra with the GTX950, no issues so far with iMac 14.2. It takes much longer to boot because of the web drivers, but at least no more glitching.

I am really surprised how well PCI passthrough is working with KVM.

I do have issues with the 660 Ti card with my regular install, and today I decided to try for the first time to install OSX as a KVM host with PCI passthrough for my video card.

Surprisingly it works perfectly, *except* the visual glitches!
The PCI passthrough works so well, which inherits even these hateful glitches!

Installed 10.13.3
Fresh install
(So, still, no luck).

PS: only one note: the glitches appear less regularly than usually (maybe because it is new install or only single monitor instead of dual?)

After (finally!) getting High Sierra running, I discovered the glitch. It was getting pretty bad and only went away on reboot.

However, it appears to be gone now (still waiting to see if it returns but nada since last night).

I’ll try to explain what I did:

1. I downloaded and ran the NVIDIA web drivers. I set it to native drivers & rebooted. However, it came back up as the web drivers. No idea if this had any effect.

2. I was getting severe glitching in Photoshop and Illustrator. InDesign was fine. In Photoshop, I turned off the option under Preferences/Performance to use the GPU.

3. I rebooted again and at the Clover boot screen, I selected Options and deleted “ndva_drv=1” then finished the boot.

Since doing these things, I have had no glitching. I did this last night and fiddled in Photoshop, trying to get the glitches to appear, but nada.

This morning, more Photoshop fiddling and then I ran a full screen YouTube video for 10+ mins. Still no glitches.

(Side note: no audio on the YouTube video, so I thought audio was messed up, too. Then I heard audio from an ad. Turns out the random video I chose to test didn’t have audio! Lol!)

Anyway, dunno what I did exactly to kill off the glitches and they may be back but after 12 hours, plus Photoshop fiddling and a full screen YouTube video test for 10+ mins, they are gone at the moment.

Maybe someone who understands this stuff better than me can recognize the solution in all this.

Hope it helps!

RE #265 - I ran iTunes to sync my iPad and glitches returned. Nothing bad yet but the sidebar on iTunes is unreadable (was; now its okay). Photoshop seems fine (nope ... minor glitches in the menu) and the tab bar on Chrome (Canary) is glitchy.

Oh, well!

EDIT: glitches seem mostly minor. Occasionally it effects the sidebar in Finder or other but then goes away. Seems to be ok at the moment.

Last edited:
I did have the glitch issue on a GTX 660 and I was able to remove it. It was most seen if opening Hearthstone and within hearthstone opening the friends window.
Watching a video on youtube (Chrome) would also after sometime display the goddam artifacts.

I was able to get rid of it by doing the following:
  1. Update Clover to last version (always good, doubt it played any part on this) through Clover Configurator;
  2. Remove from boot properties the following:
    1. darkwait=1 (as mentioned for most Asus motherboards, old Z97M-Plus here with i4790);
    2. Remove entry for Intel Injection;

After a reboot, not only Hearthstone works as intended (not a Unity bug as many people been preaching around, but the glitches do happen in real macs as well). No more artifacts on the display.

Using the following:
  • i5 i4790 CPU;
  • Asus Z97M-Plus;
  • Micron 1600 DDR3 8GB (x2);
  • Samsung Evo 850 (for OS);
  • GeForce GTX 660 2GB (Gigabyte);
  • iMAC 14,2
The only crap problem I have is Ethernet going dead after sleep/lock for some time (no sleep, and thats fine).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 18.51.36.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 18.51.36.png
    91 KB · Views: 188
Just bought an rx560 on NewEgg. Be here tomorrow. Glitches just got worse and worse, making my system unusable.

Install EmuVariableUEFI ;) Pretty much 'required' is most conditions with nvidia since Sierra :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 19.39.28.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 19.39.28.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 19.43.13.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 19.43.13.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
Install EmuVariableUEFI ;) Pretty much 'required' is most conditions with nvidia since Sierra :)

This looks promising. If you have VLC, can you please try playing a video in VLC media player?

As an update....

I gave up trying to fix this glitch issue. Buying another video card is out of the question: not gonna spend needless money on it.

So, I just let it stay glitchy.
I never turn my computer off. I always have it running, as I use macOS as a home server.

Honestly, it's been on for about 3 weeks now and the glitching is only bad when I play a video file in windowed mode. Glitches disappear once it goes full screen. This does not affect embedded videos (ie. youtube, flix) at all.

Other than that, I don't experience it nearly as much as I did when it first appeared as an annoying problem.

Keep in mind, I only really use my computer to watch stuff or work in terminal; I don't use it for any sort of media editing - your results will definitely vary.

Ok. So i gave 10.13.3 and 10.13.4 a try. With the latest clover, Nvidia kexts, etc, it's better. I can use the system for 10-15 mins before it starts glitching. VRAM usage slowly creeps its way to 90% so there's some issue going on there too. (However, I do get glitches even at 70% VRAM usage). Even when it shows artifacts, it sometimes goes away (or lessens)

Previously, as soon as I opened VLC or played a youtube video, it'll glitch instantly or within minutes. The artifacts would fill up the entire screen and make it 100% impossible to continue using the system

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back