Graphics
nVidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just installed Lion, and normally I would open up the nvidia driver package for fermi cards, and install the drivers (From Nvidia). But when I try to open it, it says I already have a graphics solution. Is there anyway to fix this? I do not have hard ware acceleration now. Thanks

Latest Lion update (as well as previous one) disables opencl functionality for gtx480/gtx470.
Looks like it was made intentionally, because you can enable it changing just two bytes in GL driver, one for 32-bit part and one for 64-bit part.
You need to patch this file [using netkas HexEdit]: /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver
Find
a8 83 f8 02 8b 45 f0
replace 02 with 03 to get
a8 83 f8 03 8b 45 f0
Find
ea 83 f8 02 49 8b
ea 83 f8 03 49 8b

Thanks for the info, I may or may not need that in the future. I realized that dashboard doesn't do the ripples in Lion? I did a openGL and quartz test and it was fine. Also dvd player opened fine. I'm guessing its ok. I am currently reloading Lion, migration assistant messed EVERYTHING up. I'll let you know when I'm done. Thank you!

Read a post somewhere stating the ripples were disposed of in the 7.2 update by Apple.

Peter R. said:
Read a post somewhere stating the ripples were disposed of in the 7.2 update by Apple.
Yes actually Ripples were disabled on the first Lion build. Best way to determine whether QE/CI is On or not is to check the transparency at the top bar. If it is transparent then hardware acceleration is on.

Thanks for the help guys. I believe it is actually working. Strange part is that it worked after a clean install of lion, and supported my card and hardware acceleration. I guess I'll stick with that!

TKhaldi said:
Latest Lion update (as well as previous one) disables opencl functionality for gtx480/gtx470.
Looks like it was made intentionally, because you can enable it changing just two bytes in GL driver, one for 32-bit part and one for 64-bit part.
You need to patch this file [using netkas HexEdit]: /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver
Find
a8 83 f8 02 8b 45 f0
a8 83 f8 03 8b 45 f0
Find
ea 83 f8 02 49 8b
ea 83 f8 03 49 8b

I am having the same problems with the GT 430. Do you think the hexcode change will fix my issues too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back