Contribute
Register

GT 740 + El Capitan Public Beta = ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the ATI information is hardcoded into PEG0 in that DSDT. I don't much care for the approach of hardcoding stuff into a DSDT. It would be much easier to work with if the fixes were in individual SSDTs or Clover config or whatever.

For now, I'd try moving that DSDT.aml file out of your Clover config, and see if the machine can still boot. Best case, that fixes the problem. Worst case, you'll have to figure out all the differences between the native DSDT and your modified one, and apply only the changes needed to boot.

You might as well boot with nv_disable=1 on your first try, even though I would expect that to give you crummy graphics. If you get in at all, then reboot and try with nvda_drv=1 instead and see if that gives better graphics.

Annoyingly, I can't turn off nvda_drv because clover automatically adds it back in, any idea how I could turn this off?

I cant boot without nv_disable. If I boot with nv_disable (and nvda_drv because I can't turn it off), I still get the same slowness etc as before, except about this Mac identifies my card as 'NVIDIA Chip Model 5 MB'. Also, the graphics section of system profiler now says I have an NVIDIA card rather than ATI, so success there.

I guess I'll have to figure out what changed in this custom DSDT like you said.

Annoyingly, I can't turn off nvda_drv because clover automatically adds it back in, any idea how I could turn this off?

At Terminal, run "nvram -p" to list all variables stored in nvram, and then look for one that has nvda_drv=1 in it. Then run "nvram -d [whatever]" to delete that one.

I cant boot without nv_disable. If I boot with nv_disable (and nvda_drv because I can't turn it off), I still get the same slowness etc as before, except about this Mac identifies my card as 'NVIDIA Chip Model 5 MB'. Also, the graphics section of system profiler now says I have an NVIDIA card rather than ATI, so success there.

nv_disable=1 disables graphics acceleration, so it would be expected that you'd see the same slowness.

What happens if you boot with nvda_drv=1 ? I think you said previously that you had installed the Nvidia Web drivers, and this should enable them.

At Terminal, run "nvram -p" to list all variables stored in nvram, and then look for one that has nvda_drv=1 in it. Then run "nvram -d [whatever]" to delete that one.
One of the entries is: "boot-args nvda_drv=1" but nvram -d boot-args and nvram -d nvda_drv both have no effect - the entries are still there if I run nvram -p again. Am I using the commands wrong?

What happens if you boot with nvda_drv=1 ? I think you said previously that you had installed the Nvidia Web drivers, and this should enable them.
Half way through boot the display turns off.

I contacted the guy who made my computer, who directed me to this forum post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308097-guide-el-capitan-1011x-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790/ to download a DSDT. There’s one for the HD 5450 (the one he installed when I bought my computer), and a generic one.

I tried installing the generic DSDT, but nothing changed. It’s almost as if it’s not there, perhaps the system isn’t recognising it? Not sure.
It’s confusing to me, as the guy will have used that post when making my computer, so it SHOULD work fine… Perhaps I should just reinstall.

One of the entries is: "boot-args nvda_drv=1" but nvram -d boot-args and nvram -d nvda_drv both have no effect - the entries are still there if I run nvram -p again. Am I using the commands wrong?

Try :
Code:
sudo nvram -d boot-args

Curiously, it appears as if there's a typo in your SMBIOS definition in config.plist. The Board-ID:

is: Mac-F2218EC8
probably should be: Mac-F221BEC8

I wouldn't expect that to cause the display problem, since I think a non-matching Board ID should result in the correct behavior not the wrong behavior, but it's worth a try anyway.

Curiously, it appears as if there's a typo in your SMBIOS definition in config.plist. The Board-ID:

is: Mac-F2218EC8
probably should be: Mac-F221BEC8

I wouldn't expect that to cause the display problem, since I think a non-matching Board ID should result in the correct behavior not the wrong behavior, but it's worth a try anyway.
Yeah, this boots me into a black screen with a white stop sign.

i was also advised to try changing my product ID to iMac14,2 but no change, unfortunately.

Yeah, this boots me into a black screen with a white stop sign.

I had the same issue (prohibited symbol) yesterday when I went to install a fresh copy of 10.11.3 onto a new SSD

The only way I was able to get around it was to install UniBeast onto a USB key then installing.

After I installed booting with UniBeast I then was able to switch back to my regular clover bootloader (3333 or 3259) on the other HDD without encountering the "prohibited symbol" - not sure where things messed up I think it may have been some of the files in the drivers64UEFI folder.

Normally I have been able to install OS X using the same settings and configuration I always use in clover and the EFI. Not sure what happened here but Unibeast helped out this time.

I got the same display issues that you mentioned above until I used the guide mentioned in post #9 in this thread and installed the latest Nvidia drivers (346.03.05f01) and was able to switch to using the GT 740 correctly.

It will be interesting to see how @ammulder can help you diagnose the problem with what is causing the prohibited sign. (I would like to learn that too!)

Not sure how much all that helps but I hope you can get it sorted soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back