Contribute
Register

Green Light for Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gordo, how soon is soon? I saw ML will be released in July and the new Macbook Pros shipped yesterday... So does that mean within the next few weeks?

I liked the UD4 motherboard for several reasons - one, I saw a build almost identical to mine in user builds that used the UD4 and said everything worked smoothly (so I knew if I had problems, I could easily ask someone). I also liked that instead of any onboard video ports (VGA, DVI, etc), it replaced those with ports - I liked that because I was under the impression that once you insert a graphics card, it overrides any onboard video outputs (so, for example, you stated earlier the if I used a 5xx card, that supports 2 monitors PLUS if I could connect another monitor using the onboard VGA or something, making three - I thought this wasn't possible, I thought once the graphic cards was in, anything onboard would not work). Apparently this must not be the case (and here I thought I did my research... :crazy: ), so I thought the extra USB ports the UD4 offers was beneficial. Another reason I liked the board was because of the coaxial output... And then finally, I liked it was because it was a black board... :D I mean, obviously, in a case, it doesn't even matter, but that was just a bonus for me, haha.

The Micro Center by me does not have i7 Ivy Bridge, so I would have to go through Newegg (which would cost an extra $70, at least).

What are the main differences between USB 3.0 working through a third party on the UD4 and USB 3.0 working natively on a Z77 board with Ivy Bridge, besides just the support/stability? That actually sounds like a really dumb question (because obviously native is going to be better, haha), maybe I should reword it like... Will I see a transfer speed difference?

@Iseman, yeah, I have been trying to find the perfect build that does mid gaming and mid video editing - I was going to go with the 560Ti 448/560Ti 2GB card, but decided to just get the SuperClocked 570 because of the cores (480 cores in the 570, which ig a big factor in how those programs run and fast they render... And I have seen some Golden Builds use it). The Samsung 830 was chosen because between the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830, based on my research, I found both are equally as good, and I just picked the 830 just because (I heard a few people say it was a little bit faster, but really, they are the same quality card and you won't go wrong). The OCZ I have also heard good things about, I was just recommended by several people with either the 830 or the M4.

Everything else was just picked at what worked - wireless, firewire, a good 650W power supply... I liked the white Phantom case, ha, so I picked that (and I have seen it used in a build very very similar to mine, so I know the case will work and fit all the parts comfortably). The HDD is at a good price on Newegg right now... So yeah. Is the only difference in your build and mine the SDD?

This is also very off topic from my previous post, but do you guys know anything about graphic card fans and low well they work/loud they are? There is the Gigabyte GTX 570 with three fans, and then there is the card I was going to get, the EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked. I am used the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, but I am not sure which of these cards is definitely better for cooling, or is the three fan system on the Gigabyte model super loud (I heard they were louder)? Just wondering if anyone had experiences/advice with these types of products (or maybe which has the better customer service). Thanks again guys! :thumbup:

I dont think the ivy bridge would be $70 worth of performance more, so that is a good point. Stick with Sandy then.

USB3, Apple natively supports the Intel one now, but it is unknown at this time if USB3 thirds party chips work yet.

By "Soon", I'd say by the end of the month, at the latest.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question, but your last post confused me a bit - if I got a UD4 today and tomorrow set up Lion, would I be able to use the USB 3.0 ports in Lion?

Aup808 said:
I'm sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question, but your last post confused me a bit - if I got a UD4 today and tomorrow set up Lion, would I be able to use the USB 3.0 ports in Lion?

Since the UD4 has a third party USB3 chipset, it does have LIMITED support via the driver in Multibeast right now, but not "native" like the Intel ones do. At this time, we do not know if the new drivers coming out will support third party chips as well, which would make them native too.

I guess that will be known when ML is released in July?

Should I probably wait until July and see what is supported and what isn't?

Aup808 said:
I guess that will be known when ML is released in July?

Should I probably wait until July and see what is supported and what isn't?

I think it will be much sooner than that because of the updates to Lion which include the drivers.

Well, I wasn't planning on ordering until next week... So yeah, I'll keep my eyes open then to see if anything is announced or released. Do you think maybe by next week or the end of next week?

Also, do you have any experience of graphics card and the amount of fans they have with cooling/noise? Do the more fans really show a difference? :)

Aup808 said:
Well, I wasn't planning on ordering until next week... So yeah, I'll keep my eyes open then to see if anything is announced or released. Do you think maybe by next week or the end of next week?

Also, do you have any experience of graphics card and the amount of fans they have with cooling/noise? Do the more fans really show a difference? :)

I would think by the end of next week seems feasbile. To be clear. Ivy Bridge works right now with a modified kernel from MacMan, however, it is not the Apple native kernel, just based on it. With the update released yesterday, it has the apple-made native ivy bridge kernel in it, so it is just a matter of making it easy to use for users.

Yes. The more fans, the quieter it will be, as they will turn slower to attain the same cooling capacity. One fan has to turn extremely fast under load to push the amount of air needed to cool the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back