Contribute
Register

{GREAT SUCCESS} - Yo Mang's Hack Pro - 3930K / GTX670 / Sabertooth X79 (56k Warn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound working

Ok, I've FINALLY figured out the sound issue. The bottom line is that the new MultiBeast 5.1.2 is missing options that are necessary to get the sound working properly.

As seen in the original post, you need to be able to select:

Audio/Realtek ALC8xxx/Unified Device Injector/ALC8xxxHDA
Audio/Realtek ALC8xxx/AppleHDA Rollback
Audio/Realtek ALC8xxx/Non-DSDT HDAEnabler/ALC892

Those options are simply missing in the 5.1.2 version.

So what I did on a clean install is used 5.1.2 to get the boot loader, disk, facesmc, usb 3.0 and network installed. Reboot, inject the npci-0x3000 to get it to boot off the new install.

Once at the desktop, I ran the LION version (4.6.1) of MultiBeast and went to the audio section where I could select the three items listed above.
Reboot.. and sound working like a champ.

So that said, it's looking like I'm 100% though I still have some tweaking for CPU recognition, etc.

FWIW, I am sticking with the last version of the non-cap bios, 1203.

Hope that helps others get the audio situation resolved....

Nice work Tom. I have almost the same setup. (Got a GTX680). Anyway, I am at the point where I am about to install everything. (Waiting on video card. Which is going to be delivered today.) Can you give me the steps I must follow to install the OS and overclock, please? Based on what you have said, I assume that I should install the OS first get it stable then overclock, yes? Do I overclock through the bios or do I have to install windows? I am a little freaked out about this whole install thing. Since multibeast has been updated while I was building. I do not see any recent installs using our configurations. Thank you for your help!

tom sawyer ure the man!

sound is working after i followed your instructions.
i didnt reboot inbetween though.

i first installed everything i needed from 5.1.2 (i also checked under customisation/Boot Options -> GrapicsEnabler=No + PCI Root ID Fix + Verbose Boot)

then i installed the 3 audiofiles from lion 4.6.1 and in the end i used kext wizard to install VoodooTSCSync.kext

then i restarted

aaaaaand guess what. sound works just fine :)

(i havent overclocked my cpu jet. It would be really cool if u could post your oc setup ^_^')

Excellent! Glad that did the trick for you guys too... It was a big relief to find a quick and easy way to get the sound going.

On the install/overclock, I would definitely recommend getting the install done and 100% working before moving on to the overclocking. While there are tools in OS X to do testing and temperature monitoring, I've always done that in the windows realm so feel comfortable there.

That said, nothing special about the apps I'm using: Something to monitor temps (in OS X you can use iStat Menus or the new tool that comes with multibeast), Prime95 for stressing the CPU. I also use CPU-Z (windows app) which shows in real time the current cpu clock, timings etc. Good for verifying and the one thing I've not been able to find in the OS X world. Also the fact that my current CPU speed shows 3.8 in OS X tells me that I still have more to tweak to get OS X to use the machine at full capacity. My geekbench score in Windows is a 3000+ higher than in OS X.

As far as the OC, you definitely do that through the bios. I've attached screen shots from my bios settings, I think that's the easiest way to show the setup. IMHO, 4.2 is a modest OC on these chips and any sample should do that speed with no problem (with adequate cooling of course). As I mentioned, I like to keep things slightly below the very edge as stability is important.

Hope that helps some.... but do note, I am running the last version of the NON CAP bios (1203). If you are running a 2xxx or greater version, requirements and settings may vary a bit.

One question for you guys... what system profile are you running? I've currently got mine set to 2012 Mac Pro (5,1)... wondering if any of the other profiles are better for this board?

Attachments

• 121104131419.jpg
    121104131419.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 121104131427.jpg
    121104131427.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 121104131450.jpg
    121104131450.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 576
  • 121104131504.jpg
    121104131504.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 121104131528.jpg
    121104131528.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 441
  • 121104131546.jpg
    121104131546.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 121104131559.jpg
    121104131559.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 345
well done sawyer! using the older (lion) multibeast to install those three kexts got the audio working perfectly for me! THANKS!:D

Excellent! Glad that did the trick for you guys too... It was a big relief to find a quick and easy way to get the sound going.

On the install/overclock, I would definitely recommend getting the install done and 100% working before moving on to the overclocking. While there are tools in OS X to do testing and temperature monitoring, I've always done that in the windows realm so feel comfortable there.

That said, nothing special about the apps I'm using: Something to monitor temps (in OS X you can use iStat Menus or the new tool that comes with multibeast), Prime95 for stressing the CPU. I also use CPU-Z (windows app) which shows in real time the current cpu clock, timings etc. Good for verifying and the one thing I've not been able to find in the OS X world. Also the fact that my current CPU speed shows 3.8 in OS X tells me that I still have more to tweak to get OS X to use the machine at full capacity. My geekbench score in Windows is a 3000+ higher than in OS X.

As far as the OC, you definitely do that through the bios. I've attached screen shots from my bios settings, I think that's the easiest way to show the setup. IMHO, 4.2 is a modest OC on these chips and any sample should do that speed with no problem (with adequate cooling of course). As I mentioned, I like to keep things slightly below the very edge as stability is important.

Hope that helps some.... but do note, I am running the last version of the NON CAP bios (1203). If you are running a 2xxx or greater version, requirements and settings may vary a bit.

One question for you guys... what system profile are you running? I've currently got mine set to 2012 Mac Pro (5,1)... wondering if any of the other profiles are better for this board?

Thanks a bunch Tom! I have a couple of questions pertaining to my build. I have everything working. Just a few cosmetic issues.

1.) Under the Serial-ATA device tree, I have the "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller." title. Do you know how I can get the correct info.?

2.) Do you have a solution for USB 3.0 on the Sabertooth x79 board? Mine is working but the drive will disconnect and a get a message saying that. Then it comes back onto my desktop only to disconnect again.

Many thanks!

install the usb3 drivers from MB 4.6.1 that works for me

What I don't understand is why do the older MB installs work better on these boards than the new ones? And why doesn't the new MB have those same exact kexts if they apparently work much better?

Hi Guys,

First off, thanks for all the replies in this thread, it has really helped me put my system together.
I've got my Sabertooth X79 with 32gb of Corsair Ram, 240gb Sandisk Extreme, i7 3930k, Corsair H60 Cooling and MSI GTX470 working after a bit of fiddling. Latest bios (3102) as well.
And thanks to the tips sound now works as well.

I just have one issue - I can't seem to boot without the -v flag, which shouldn't really make any difference. I've put PCIRootUID=0, npci=0x3000, GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my boot plist and also installed the cpu fix so my machine shows correct number of cores and cache.
For the moment I've turned hyperthreading off, I don't know whether it should be on or off.

Has anyone got any ideas of why my system might only boot with the -v flag?

Cheers,

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back