Graphics
Intel HD 2500
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello people, I've recently bought the gigabyte B75M-HD3 and a Celeron G1610 (Ivy Bridge) planning to install Mountain Lion 10.8.4, and I can't get graphics acceleration with the HD 2500 (Resolution is fine, and it's detected as Intel HD 2500, but it's full of glitches). So, I'm thinking about buying a separate gpu that works more easily.

Would you recommend a Geforce 610 or, an old one, like the GT9500, 9600 etc.?
The only thing that I care about is the simplicity of the installation process (OOB will be ideal, but it's not exclusive), it's not about getting a powerfull card, as you may have noticed.

Hello people, I've recently bought the gigabyte B75M-HD3 and a Celeron G1610 (Ivy Bridge) planning to install Mountain Lion 10.8.4, and I can't get graphics acceleration with the HD 2500 (Resolution is fine, and it's detected as Intel HD 2500, but it's full of glitches). So, I'm thinking about buying a separate gpu that works more easily.

Would you recommend a Geforce 610 or, an old one, like the GT9500, 9600 etc.?
The only thing that I care about is the simplicity of the installation process (OOB will be ideal, but it's not exclusive), it's not about getting a powerfull card, as you may have noticed.

I would recommend a GeForce 640 GT. You can pick one up new for around $70 after mail-in rebate (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162113). This is the one I have myself, which I got used for less than $60 and I'm very happy with it. It works OOB as long as you use the "GraphicsEnabler=No" boot flag (like any of the Kepler-based nVidia 6xx cards).

You can use older cards too, but can be harder to find and cost just as much. For example, I used to have a 9500GT in my hack, which worked perfectly, but there aren't many available on Amazon and the prices are running around $60 (for comparison).

I would recommend a GeForce 640 GT. You can pick one up new for around $70 after mail-in rebate (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162113). This is the one I have myself, which I got used for less than $60 and I'm very happy with it. It works OOB as long as you use the "GraphicsEnabler=No" boot flag (like any of the Kepler-based nVidia 6xx cards).<br>
<br>
You can use older cards too, but can be harder to find and cost just as much. For example, I used to have a 9500GT in my hack, which worked perfectly, but there aren't many available on Amazon and the prices are running around $60 (for comparison).

Well...the problem is that in my country (I'm from Argentina) the 640 is much more expensive than the 610 (around $100~120 against $50~60) and I'm on a tight budget. Wouldn't the 610 work OOB too in 10.8.4? I've readed somewhere that 610 were actually Fermi and not Kepler, as it is just a rebranded 520.

Well...the problem is that in my country (I'm from Argentina) the 640 is much more expensive than the 610 (around $100~120 against $50~60) and I'm on a tight budget. Wouldn't the 610 work OOB too in 10.8.4? I've readed somewhere that 610 were actually Fermi and not Kepler, as it is just a rebranded 520.

It should work OOB, though I've read that Fermi cards have had problems in the past, though they may be fixed now. I suggest you do some research here on Fermi cards to find out more.

Edit: I did a couple of searches, and read that yes, the Fermi problems have been fixed. You just have to install an OpenCL patch in MultiBeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back