Intel Skylake i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA 980Ti 6Gb FTW 2.0
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First, the essentials of the build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 (rev. 1.0)
Processor: Intel Skylake i7 6700k
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti 6Gb FTW
Ram: Ballistix Sport 32Gb (16x2)
PSU: Corsair RM850X 850W
Boot drives: 2 Samsung 850 EVO SSDs

Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1607 OS Build 14393.953

Sooo, here is the problem.

When I did my initial boot into Windows 10, I noticed that the GPU fans weren't spinning. So, simply enough, I installed EVGA's XOC controller for fan speed control. Worked like a charm. However, I still have no GPU fan operation when I boot into the Mac side. Everyone I have asked has chalked it up to the fact that the fans do not switch on until a certain temperature threshold is met. Here are my three (technically 6) questions:

1. Can anyone verify that the fans do switch on under load and that this is a feature not a bug? Can you recommend a "loaded" test to confirm on my own machine?

2. Is there anyone with a similar build and similar issues? How did you fix it? What was your experience?

3. Are there anything third party applications for fan speed control on Mac you can recommend?

Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
@andrewjmcgehee, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

The fans are not supposed to spin when the GPU is below ~55C. This is a standard feature on most non reference 900 series cards. I have an MSI card and the feature is called ZeroFrozr, not sure what EVGA calls it. The fans do indeed spin up under load when working with Premiere Pro. Try the Unigen Heaven benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back