Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GT 640
Hi

I’ve got stuck with what I think is a possible graphics issue.

This is my 4th Hackintosh but this one’s not got approved bits though I’ve seen the mobo flagged as successful here somewhere. Anyway these are the components:

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV

Intel 15 quad core

MSI GEFORCE GT 710

The machine had been running Windows 7 fine so I know all the bits work.

But when I begun the process of making it run Sierra I couldn’t get to bios with the system at first. Cleared the CMOS and fitted a new battery, tried a PS2 keyboard, then tried with the hard drive out. Every time 1 long beep and three short ones and no bios. I think that points to graphics, so out came the GPU.

Tried with onboard graphics,S2 keyboard and no hard drive and finally got there. Small yay.

I created the boot usb as per instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Then began installation. Nuked that Windows HD and things were going well until…

I got to step 5 where it says ‘press the hotkey’

I missed that and it went to the Clover screen anyway (is that an issue?)

It loads Clover 2.4k 4045 but the first few times I tried to boot from Sierra as per instructions (The hard drive) It got a little way into the progress bar with the apple logo showing then froze with 14 distorted white apple logos on a black screen. The next attempt did the same but with the bottom half of the screen looking like tv interference (thousands of black and white dots with some colored ones)

I thought graphics issue so looked at the options. Tried both the injection options, second one for intel then first one. All I got then was a white circle with a diagonal line through it. Turned them back off and put the GPU back in. No beeps (I think) but got the circle and line icon again. Now trying to boot from ‘Sierra’ I don’t get the 14 distorted macs I just get that white circle with a line across it. Is it the Hotkey bit that’s wrong or is the Sierra/ GT710 or internal graphics the issue?

I also tried to boot from the recovery because it was the only one with the multibeast icon (USB, Sierra and Recovery) Same white circle thing.

Help appreciated! Hope this is posted in the right part of the forum.
Cheers, Nick

Hi

I’ve got stuck with what I think is a possible graphics issue.

This is my 4th Hackintosh but this one’s not got approved bits though I’ve seen the mobo flagged as successful here somewhere. Anyway these are the components:

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV

Intel 15 quad core

MSI GEFORCE GT 710

The machine had been running Windows 7 fine so I know all the bits work.

But when I begun the process of making it run Sierra I couldn’t get to bios with the system at first. Cleared the CMOS and fitted a new battery, tried a PS2 keyboard, then tried with the hard drive out. Every time 1 long beep and three short ones and no bios. I think that points to graphics, so out came the GPU.

Tried with onboard graphics,S2 keyboard and no hard drive and finally got there. Small yay.

I created the boot usb as per instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Then began installation. Nuked that Windows HD and things were going well until…

I got to step 5 where it says ‘press the hotkey’

I missed that and it went to the Clover screen anyway (is that an issue?)

It loads Clover 2.4k 4045 but the first few times I tried to boot from Sierra as per instructions (The hard drive) It got a little way into the progress bar with the apple logo showing then froze with 14 distorted white apple logos on a black screen. The next attempt did the same but with the bottom half of the screen looking like tv interference (thousands of black and white dots with some colored ones)

I thought graphics issue so looked at the options. Tried both the injection options, second one for intel then first one. All I got then was a white circle with a diagonal line through it. Turned them back off and put the GPU back in. No beeps (I think) but got the circle and line icon again. Now trying to boot from ‘Sierra’ I don’t get the 14 distorted macs I just get that white circle with a line across it. Is it the Hotkey bit that’s wrong or is the Sierra/ GT710 or internal graphics the issue?

I also tried to boot from the recovery because it was the only one with the multibeast icon (USB, Sierra and Recovery) Same white circle thing.

Help appreciated! Hope this is posted in the right part of the forum.
Cheers, Nick

I am a little confused.

First please identify the intel cpu by its' correct model number, such as "i5-2500".

Second please confirm which BIOS is on your motherboard and what revision motherboard do you have?
The reason is that there are three revisions of this mother board on the rev 1 only have legacy BIOS where the 2.0 and 2.1 both apparently have a UEFI BIOS available.

When you build your USB installer (using UniBeast) you need to make the appropriate choice of UEFI or Legacy.

Then you say that you got to Step 5. This is post installation portion of the process. Please confirm that installation completed and rebooted?

Good modding,
neil

I am a little confused.

First please identify the intel cpu by its' correct model number, such as "i5-2500".

Second please confirm which BIOS is on your motherboard and what revision motherboard do you have?
The reason is that there are three revisions of this mother board on the rev 1 only have legacy BIOS where the 2.0 and 2.1 both apparently have a UEFI BIOS available.

When you build your USB installer (using UniBeast) you need to make the appropriate choice of UEFI or Legacy.

Then you say that you got to Step 5. This is post installation portion of the process. Please confirm that installation completed and rebooted?

Good modding,
neil
Thanks for replying Neil, here is the info as best I can:
Intel CPU i5-2320 3ghz quad core
Mobo is GA-H61M S2PV DX 10.1 ERP READY DUAL BIOS
BIOS just says version FA
AMERICAN MEGATRENDS 2011
DATE 12/19/2011
ID 8A01AG09 (0's or o's could be wrong)

I'm fairly sure I chose 'Legacy' during the set up.
I didn't see it complete and reboot it was faster than I thought. When I went back to it I think it was on the Clover boot screen. It didn't look like it had hung or anything but I may be wrong there.
I wish I'd seen that bit really. It could have just been a black screen...

Thanks for replying Neil, here is the info as best I can:
Intel CPU i5-2320 3ghz quad core
Mobo is GA-H61M S2PV DX 10.1 ERP READY DUAL BIOS
BIOS just says version FA
AMERICAN MEGATRENDS 2011
DATE 12/19/2011
ID 8A01AG09 (0's or o's could be wrong)

I'm fairly sure I chose 'Legacy' during the set up.
I didn't see it complete and reboot it was faster than I thought. When I went back to it I think it was on the Clover boot screen. It didn't look like it had hung or anything but I may be wrong there.
I wish I'd seen that bit really. It could have just been a black screen...

The revision of the motherboard is printed in the silkscreen in the upper left had corner.

The FA BIOS revision is very early and maybe UEFI. With the motherboard revision you can check the Gigabyte web pages to determine UEFI or Legacy.

Also, key to installation of macOS/OS X is setting the BIOS options correctly as shown in the guide.

The CPU has "Intel® HD Graphics 2000" which is not supported in macOS/OS X and you will need to use your GPU to enjoy accelerated graphics.

The GTX 710 is supported in macOS/OS X meaning that you do not need to inject Nvidia via the Clover config.plist file.

If we assume that the macOS installation completed, then you need to reboot using the USB to boot to Clover, then select the Sierra new install. You may need to try different boot time arguments to get it to boot.

However in that you did not closely follow the installation, the system may not have completed the installation and in this case, it will never boot (until the OS is properly installed).

If you have access to a working Mac or hackintosh, you could put the hard drive into a USB adapter and check it in the working system... you would look to see if OS is present on the hard drive.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks again Neil, I am now able to move the project forward. The board revision was hidden behind a network card and I'm pleased to say it's 2.0 I would never have found that!

Thanks also for confirming that internal graphics are a no go. So I'll probably be best to create a new boot usb with the more accurate information. I think I was OK with the bios settings even though vt-d is labelled as intel virtualisation it was disabled. The AHCI was set correctly too all after defaults were set.

I think I'll put the GPU back in and try it because that will take ten minutes but I don't really expect that to work.
It looks like I'm best making a new boot USB in any case. I'll report back on progress. Btw, what's the best link for using Clover. I tried the configurator but it said I didn't have Clover on the stick (that boots Clover). Clearly I'm missing something massive here and need to learn more! Cheers, Nick

Update: No joy but more info:

I formatted the USB stick and made a new one with the UEFI option chosen instead of Legacy and neither graphics options ticked.

1. Tried with the monitor DVI connected to the MSI GPU first. That stuck on the UEFI screen and wouldn’t go any further with or without any F keys. One beep every 30 seconds or so but no progress.

2. Tried with the internal GPU using DVI . That gave me one long beep and three short ones but stuck on a dark grey/black screen.

3. Tried with the internal GPU again but with the MSI GPU removed from the motherboard. Went straight into USB and ready to install…
...But the internal Intel GPU isn’t supported by Sierra, so do I go ahead and install and then try booting with the GPU back in once Sierra is installed?
Help appreciated as usual!

Hmmm. Tried again today. Came to an impasse. Using the internal graphics allows me to see the USB and Hard Drive with the Sierra icon on it. But trying to boot from the Sierra HD gives a pretty quick Kernel panic. Of course, the internal graphics aren't supported. But booting with GPU installed consistently hangs on the pre BIOS red Gigabyte UEFI screen with a beep every 20 seconds or so. If it wasn't for the fact that I've run and even done work on the damn thing with the graphics card in Windows I'd say it was a faulty GPU.

I tried using my trusty, known good Yosemite USB today too. Installed over the Sierra install and tried first with the internal graphics which looked promising but hung with a beachball after it's automatic restart following a completed install. I tried again with the GPU installed and it stuck on the red UEFI screen again.

I'm going to grab a few GPU's from work tomorrow as one is from an old Mac Pro and may work (?) I'm also going to try my GT 640 from my daily i7 hackintosh and see if it's the board that's being awkward. It's the GPU or the board, frustrating as both are listed on Tonymac in SUCCESS systems but maybe not together?

Shall I move this thread to Yosemite now I'm rolling back to my known good USB stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back