Contribute
Register

Good overclocking guide for i7 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
cpukid said:
I've run Prime95 for long periods of time, but not since I overclocked. I'll do that tonight and leave it all day tomorrow.Also, in my BIOS settings, all of the CPU features like hyperthreading and turbo boost are enabled.

Here's a screenshot of my About This Mac and my iStat Menus temp (with MS Word, Safari, iChat, and iTunes open)

Hmmm - Have you got a spare HD and could install Win 7 / XP ? There's loads more stressing and monitoring programs in Win than OSX and I found it easier to do all my OC-ing using Win before finding a stable one and then doing a bit of stability testing in OSX to check there were no surprises. Plus my idle temps are in OSX seem about the same as yours around 40-45C so I wouldn't worry too much.

I've never really got my CPU up to full Prime95 temps in day to day use even when using my music production software.

notshy said:
cpukid said:
I've run Prime95 for long periods of time, but not since I overclocked. I'll do that tonight and leave it all day tomorrow.Also, in my BIOS settings, all of the CPU features like hyperthreading and turbo boost are enabled.

Here's a screenshot of my About This Mac and my iStat Menus temp (with MS Word, Safari, iChat, and iTunes open)

Hmmm - Have you got a spare HD and could install Win 7 / XP ? There's loads more stressing and monitoring programs in Win than OSX and I found it easier to do all my OC-ing using Win before finding a stable one and then doing a bit of stability testing in OSX to check there were no surprises. Plus my idle temps are in OSX seem about the same as yours around 40-45C so I wouldn't worry too much.

I've never really got my CPU up to full Prime95 temps in day to day use even when using my music production software.

Awesome. I edited the previous post with some updated info. I have Prime95 running now and I haven't seen anything above 77. I'm dual booted with Windows 7 now, but I don't think any further testing or tinkering is really necessary. With these settings, I'm only idling < 10 higher than at stock speeds, and I'm .8 ghz higher! These are the results I was looking for, so I think I'll leave it how it is. Thanks a lot for the help, I learned a lot in the process! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back