Contribute
Register

Good news for x99 10.11 [Haswell E - El Capitan]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a original version of the UD4 which I don't think has a 3rd party chip since I've never needed a generic USB kext. I did see a new El Cap genericXHCI kext for 3rd party USB somewhere on the front page so you may want to give that a try.

Mmmm, I'll take a look, but I think last time I tryed a genericXHCI kext I completly lost USB. Maybe now that the chipset ones are properly working the result is different.

I'll let you know what happens ;)

EDIT:

Unfortunately this kext is loading but not working for NEC/Renesas 3rd Party USB 3.0 on H67N and X58, although it does load without kernel panics.

It mostly seems I'll have to wait hehe, though I'll test it anyway just in case it works with ud4p

yeah! 0x0306E0 for 5820k right?

do you have nullcpupowermanagement.kext in you clover folder? 64-bit GB score should be around 25K at 4.2 Ghz. 32-bit score will be lower.

do you have nullcpupowermanagement.kext in you clover folder? 64-bit GB score should be around 25K at 4.2 Ghz. 32-bit score will be lower.
:clap::thumbup::D Thanks so much lokicat. I don't know why but there were only these two kext files left in the clover folder (realtekALC.kext and VoodooHDA.kext). So I copied over the nullcpupowermanagement.kext too and voila. 25k in geekbench and "perfect" power management under these circumstances.

I have done both scratch install and upgraded an existing Yosemite drive on the same system. The new Unibeast install creates a Clover EFI partition on the USB drive and places a very vanilla config and kexts to get through initial install.

Thanks very much for the extra info - helps a lot! Now, my challenge seems to be that the latest UniBeast (v6.1.1) for some reason is NOT creating a Clover EFI partition - I only get what you see here:
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 2.43.29 PM.png

Of course, if I try & boot with this USB key, it freaks out my system & bounces me into the UEFI/BIOS for my ASUS X99DELUXE. I've tried making the USB key twice now (I made it from my running Yosemite build on the X99 box). Maybe I'll try making it from another machine?

...or do you think I should just try building a Clover USB key? Thanks again for any insights to this!

Thanks very much for the extra info - helps a lot! Now, my challenge seems to be that the latest UniBeast (v6.1.1) for some reason is NOT creating a Clover EFI partition - I only get what you see here:

Of course, if I try & boot with this USB key, it freaks out my system & bounces me into the UEFI/BIOS for my ASUS X99DELUXE. I've tried making the USB key twice now (I made it from my running Yosemite build on the X99 box). Maybe I'll try making it from another machine?

...or do you think I should just try building a Clover USB key? Thanks again for any insights to this!

You should be able to just install Clover directly to your El Cap USB drive as long as it has an EFI partition even after Unibeast installs. Yes you could use a small USB drive for dedicated Clover boot like I did with an m.2 drive but you will always see the USB drive in you desktop unless you hide all external volumes in Finder.

You should be able to just install Clover directly to your El Cap USB drive as long as it has an EFI partition even after Unibeast installs. Yes you could use a small USB drive for dedicated Clover boot like I did with an m.2 drive but you will always see the USB drive in you desktop unless you hide all external volumes in Finder.

I think the problem is that, after I run UniBeast 6.1.1 and build my EC USB key, my USB drive does not have an EFI partition.... it only has an EFI folder at the root level of the main partition that has all of the goodies for Clover. I'm sort of baffled at this point as to why my USB key is not getting the EFI partition created...

What I **think** should happen is that, once my USB key is successfully built, and I reboot into the boot drive option menu (via F8 for my ASUS board), I should see 2 options for my San Disk 16GB USB key - one which is the GUID partition, and one that is labeled "UEFI: San Disk blah blah"... THAT'S the partition/drive I should be booting from. But I can't even get there yet... **sigh**

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think the problem is that, after I run UniBeast 6.1.1 and build my EC USB key, my USB drive does not have an EFI partition.... it only has an EFI folder at the root level of the main partition that has all of the goodies for Clover. I'm sort of baffled at this point as to why my USB key is not getting the EFI partition created...

What I **think** should happen is that, once my USB key is successfully built, and I reboot into the boot drive option menu (via F8 for my ASUS board), I should see 2 options for my San Disk 16GB USB key - one which is the GUID partition, and one that is labeled "UEFI: San Disk blah blah"... THAT'S the partition/drive I should be booting from. But I can't even get there yet... **sigh**

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Did you make sure to select GUID instead of MBR when you formatted your USB? I think USB defaults to MBR. It has to be GUID.

Did you make sure to select GUID instead of MBR when you formatted your USB? I think USB defaults to MBR. It has to be GUID.

Thanks for thinking of that & helping troubleshoot - but yes, I did GUID Partition on the USB. Typically when I create a new USB key, I re-partition to "Free Space" first...just for $#^&'s, and then I repartition using per Tonymac instructions. Here's the current read on my USB key (wiped clean & ready to try again):
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 5.24.21 PM.png

I think the problem is that, after I run UniBeast 6.1.1 and build my EC USB key, my USB drive does not have an EFI partition.... it only has an EFI folder at the root level of the main
As you know if the EFI folder is in the root it would appear you installed legacy instead of UEFI. I assume Unibeast looked like this:

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 6.57.53 PM.png

But regardless you can just do a Clover UEFI install to the Unibeast drive instead of going through the whole process again providing it's a GUID partition. One big advantage is that this way to can avoid that nasty Clover theme that Unibeast uses, lol. :p

Thanks for thinking of that & helping troubleshoot - but yes, I did GUID Partition on the USB. Typically when I create a new USB key, I re-partition to "Free Space" first...just for $#^&'s, and then I repartition using per Tonymac instructions. Here's the current read on my USB key (wiped clean & ready to try again):

So now, with a clean USB, run UniBeast and make sure you select the UEFI mode to build the installer.
Alternate, if you are still getting an EFI folder in root, then mount the EFI partition and copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition, then delete it from root.

Or, enable CSM and legacy booting in BIOS and install with the Legacy UniBeast USB. You can always choose to install Clover UEFI and then go back and reset the UEFI/BIOS to UEFI boot and disable CSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back