Contribute
Register

Good news for x99 10.11 [Haswell E - El Capitan]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now, with a clean USB, run UniBeast and make sure you select the UEFI mode to build the installer.
Alternate, if you are still getting an EFI folder in root, then mount the EFI partition and copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition, then delete it from root.

Or, enable CSM and legacy booting in BIOS and install with the Legacy UniBeast USB. You can always choose to install Clover UEFI and then go back and reset the UEFI/BIOS to UEFI boot and disable CSM

Thanks very much for jumping in & providing that info, Going Bald and kduvernay! :) Here's the odd thing: I **did** also select UEFI during the Unibeast config wizard (and my settings looked like the screen provided by kduvernay), and yet what I got was clearly a Legacy key. But here's the real kicker: Before I went to my gig last night, I took my freshly partitioned USB key and started a Unibeast build, but this time I used my Late 2015 Retina MBP. BINGO! Now I have EFI partition on my USB key.

So I've loaded all the kexts as provided by lokicat into the proper spot, and when I boot from USB key's UEFI partition (adding bootflag nv_disable=1), I get black screen with Apple - looks like it's going to work, but then....this:
20160110_085955.jpg

Thanks very much for jumping in & providing that info, Going Bald and kduvernay! :) Here's the odd thing: I **did** also select UEFI during the Unibeast config wizard (and my settings looked like the screen provided by kduvernay), and yet what I got was clearly a Legacy key. But here's the real kicker: Before I went to my gig last night, I took my freshly partitioned USB key and started a Unibeast build, but this time I used my Late 2015 Retina MBP. BINGO! Now I have EFI partition on my USB key.

So I've loaded all the kexts as provided by lokicat into the proper spot, and when I boot from USB key's UEFI partition (adding bootflag nv_disable=1), I get black screen with Apple - looks like it's going to work, but then....this:
View attachment 171427
Is Yosemite currently on the box? Might try building a "test Clover USB". Once you have the box booting from it you'll have a working EFI folder you could copy to you Unibeast drive.

Is Yosemite currently on the box? Might try building a "test Clover USB". Once you have the box booting from it you'll have a working EFI folder you could copy to you Unibeast drive.

I actually have 3 drives on this system (this is going to be my new music studio box). Main boot drive has working 10.10.5 (SSD). I have a 2nd drive that is also an SSD that will eventually hold my Logic and Pro Tools project session files. It also has a working Yosemite, but 10.10.4. There's a 3rd drive which is nothing but storage.

I found a couple other threads on X99 and EC, as I fear I'm treading OT with all of this troubleshooting. Having said that, here's what Verbose mode shows is going on when I get the "forbidden" symbol:
20160110_104839.jpg

I seem to recall some discussions about OsxAptioFixDrv and another version OsxAptioFix2... UniBeast evidently built my key using OsxAptioFixDrv-64. Maybe I need to skip UB, and use Clover to build a new key, but this time selecting OsxAptioFix2-64 & see if that works....??

If OsxAptioFix2 doesn't fix the error, try removing all PCI-e cards (except GFX of course)... The memory allocation issues with OsxAptio and X99 are a real problem.

If OsxAptioFix2 doesn't fix the error, try removing all PCI-e cards (except GFX of course)... The memory allocation issues with OsxAptio and X99 are a real problem.

I've built a fresh Clover (not Unibeast) install key. Tried the instructions from kduvernay on this thread, and done both the OsxAptioFix-64 and Fix2-64 options. Still get virtually the same halt message (only this time, the path to boot.efi is a bit different (guessing Unibeast vs. straight-up Clover).

Only other card in the system right now is my Thunderbolt II Dual card. I'll pull that now & give it a try... Thanks again!
--BoomR

UPDATE #1: Bingo! EC is installing now. Interesting that the USB port where my keyboard (with apple wired mouse daisy-chained) no longer worked when I got to the "choose language" screen (no red LED light from the mouse was my clue). Was using the USB2.0 ports on the back of the box. But my USB key is plugged into one of my case's USB2 ports and continued to work fine. I simply rebooted, but now moved the keyboard/mouse to the other USB2 port on the front of the case.

UPDATE #2: Been stuck at "About a second remaining" for ~5 minutes now... **sigh** I must not be meant to install EC on this box at this time LOL :)

UPDATE #1: Bingo! EC is installing now. Interesting that the USB port where my keyboard (with apple wired mouse daisy-chained) no longer worked when I got to the "choose language" screen (no red LED light from the mouse was my clue). Was using the USB2.0 ports on the back of the box. But my USB key is plugged into one of my case's USB2 ports and continued to work fine. I simply rebooted, but now moved the keyboard/mouse to the other USB2 port on the front of the case.

UPDATE #2: Been stuck at "About a second remaining" for ~5 minutes now... **sigh** I must not be meant to install EC on this box at this time LOL :)
Try a different USB port again...

Try a different USB port again...

Will do - but of course, about 2 min after I posted that, it DID actually finish the install. But now, when I reboot selecting my USB key initially, my drive that I've been installing EC to does not appear in the Clover boot options list. I've tried selecting my install key several times (like 3-4 times) to see if there are any additional bits & pieces that it still needs to make, and it basically says something about starting PCI, and then dumps me back to the Clover menu...

Is that a 5960?

Is that a 5960?

Apologies - should have listed specs in one of my earlier posts:

ASUS X99DELUXE
EVGA GTX 970
16GB RAM
Haswell-E 5930

So the GOOD news - is that I've just completed the install of EC!! Seems something got hozed in my mobo's UEFI settings and that was getting me stuck in the endless cycle I reported previously. But I've discovered that, apparently, upon first reboot during phase 1 of the 3-phase install/config process, it **is** usual/customary for your new EC volume not to show up. You simply boot into the install key and the EC installer sort of picks up where it left off.

Man, what a rough ride this has been. Appreciate everyone's willingness to help troubleshoot. Now, I think next steps are to install Clover on my new El Capitan boot drive - I'm going to basically used lokicat's configuration that he posted on page 4, plus drop in all the kexts that I need in order to get other things like NIC, sound, etc. working.

THEN maybe I can see about getting the OP's config applied to my system and work on some speed increases...
:headbang:

Cool... I'll attach a few pics of kext and UEFI drivers I'm using. Post back when it's screaming, lol...

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 1.30.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 1.41.17 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back