Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Thunderbolt Motherboards Live - Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
As I said, we'll have more details, but not right now.
Give us some time, please :ugeek:
As soon as ML is out, will provide full details for these boards as well as recommendations with regards to Ivy Bridge hardware and what not that works with ML.

Thank for your hard work for us

we excited to know the end result

thelostswede said:
As I said, we'll have more details, but not right now.
Give us some time, please :ugeek:
As soon as ML is out, will provide full details for these boards as well as recommendations with regards to Ivy Bridge hardware and what not that works with ML.
Sure, fair enough,...

I was just think I might be able to get the motherboard before ML release but the window is likely very small anyway. If for some reason I get the board before any info is published I guess I'll just see what I can do on my own. If I can't get anywhere with it I'll just wait it out.

Thanks for the info so far and for what will come in the near future!

I'm not sure if this is the right place...

Could someone briefly explain the benefits of mSATA?

Thanks in advance.

thelostswede said:
I think you mean VirtuMVP, but that only works in Windows.
My reference was to solutions that could potentially work for a hack.
And if you actually bothered to read my comment properly, I was talking about the add-in card that Asus offers for some of its boards, i.e. this viewtopic.php?p=392572#p392572

Einsteiniac said:
From what I understand the Virtuso Software is what routes the discrete to the TB connector. I will have to look into it further but I remember watching a review on Newegg I think that showed it off without Asus' solution of routing the cables in the back.

Mark

There is no reason to be snippy and respond the way that you did. Seeing as TB is essentially virgin territory not many people know how Apple handles the hand off of video from a discrete card.

Yes likely it is hardwired on those boards but when technology exists like Lucid's it isn't obscene to think that Apple may be handling it in a similar manner.

Snippy... :rolleyes:

And yes, Apple hard wires it, internally, as that's how it's done on notebooks and All-in-ones.
I happen to know a lot about Thunderbolt and it's only virgin territory as you put it when it comes to hacks. I'm aware of what it can and can't do and what the likelihood of getting it working with a discrete card is.
I'm not being "snippy" I'm replying with facts, that you clearly decided to disregard.

Melete said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place...

Could someone briefly explain the benefits of mSATA?

Thanks in advance.

Not really, no, but the benefits are that you get an SSD that's mounted on the motherboard and doesn't take up any space.
Gigabyte's idea was to use it for Intel's SSD caching technology alongside a hard drive, but Apple doesn't support this, so you simply end up with a very small SATA 3Gbps SSD that's fitted on the motherboard.

thelostswede said:

And yes, Apple hard wires it, internally, as that's how it's done on notebooks and All-in-ones.
I happen to know a lot about Thunderbolt and it's only virgin territory as you put it when it comes to hacks. I'm aware of what it can and can't do and what the likelihood of getting it working with a discrete card is.
I'm not being "snippy" I'm replying with facts, that you clearly decided to disregard.

I am thinking there is clearly confusion here. You initially wrote:

That's not going to work.
If you want to do that, you need an Asus board with their add-in card, or the upcoming ASRock board. They feed the signal from the graphics card's DP port in to a DP connector on the board and then back out via the TB ports. It's the only way I'm aware of where you could get a discrete card to feed the signal through the DP ports in OS X.

Granted at the end you say that is the only way you know to possible make that work in OSX. I then brought up Lucid's technology because one I missed the OSX part and two clearly it means this type of technology exists. Me knowing full well that Apple has already put in place technology to dynamically switch GPU's on the fly for their laptops(granted I am not sure if that is a combo hardware/software solution). It isn't a crazy thought to think that Apple uses that same technology to allow for the same to happen over the TB port.

I am just thinking and curious and seeing as you are the first person on these forums with this board and are a large contributor I clearly asked because I am really excited to test myself as well as find the capabilities of TB in a hackintosh environment.

I am sorry if that somehow offends you.

It's not possible to do it the way you want, as if you look at the Asus card, they're interfacing with the GPIO bus, which we can't. On top of that, the graphics switching technology doesn't work as you think. VirtuMVP works because it was made to work that way, Apple has done a very different implementation as per the diagram below, as they have only implemented Thunderbolt in notebooks and all-in-ones, not systems with removable graphics cards.

Thunderbolt_Block_Diagram.jpg

Einsteiniac said:
thelostswede said:

I am thinking there is clearly confusion here. You initially wrote:

That's not going to work.
If you want to do that, you need an Asus board with their add-in card, or the upcoming ASRock board. They feed the signal from the graphics card's DP port in to a DP connector on the board and then back out via the TB ports. It's the only way I'm aware of where you could get a discrete card to feed the signal through the DP ports in OS X.

Granted at the end you say that is the only way you know to possible make that work in OSX. I then brought up Lucid's technology because one I missed the OSX part and two clearly it means this type of technology exists. Me knowing full well that Apple has already put in place technology to dynamically switch GPU's on the fly for their laptops(granted I am not sure if that is a combo hardware/software solution). It isn't a crazy thought to think that Apple uses that same technology to allow for the same to happen over the TB port.

I am just thinking and curious and seeing as you are the first person on these forums with this board and are a large contributor I clearly asked because I am really excited to test myself as well as find the capabilities of TB in a hackintosh environment.

I am sorry if that somehow offends you.

Attachments

• Thunderbolt_Block_Diagram.jpg
    Thunderbolt_Block_Diagram.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 209
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back