Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hoping someone can give me an idea where to start.

on occasion my hackintosh will take forever to start, when it finally does, it only recognizes the system drive and non of the other drives in the machine. Sometimes i can reboot and fix it, sometimes it seems to fix it self after a few reboots. It feels random and I am not sure how to troubleshoot it.

I recently updated to the latest version of Ventura, though this had happened before as well. Right now I grabbed oc auxiliary tools and updated Opencore just to be safe.
Are you using a Samsung NVMe SSD?

No, I am using a WD Black 500GB - Yeah I had seen that Samsung have some issues so stayed away.

Refreshing OC and resetting NVRAM seems to have fixed it. But it's annoying, and I am not sure what makes it happen.

Running disk until now and will see if anything comes from that. I am still on the oldest BIOS on my motherboard. Maybe this is a sign to finally update to something newer.

Hoping someone can give me an idea where to start.

on occasion my hackintosh will take forever to start, when it finally does, it only recognizes the system drive and non of the other drives in the machine. Sometimes i can reboot and fix it, sometimes it seems to fix it self after a few reboots. It feels random and I am not sure how to troubleshoot it.

I recently updated to the latest version of Ventura, though this had happened before as well. Right now I grabbed oc auxiliary tools and updated Opencore just to be safe.
Omg... this is exactly what I've been dealing with. The thing I can't understand is that I haven't changed anything. I tried upgrading Opencore to the latest version and it didn't fix anything. I reverted back to an older version and no change. But the thing is... my Ventura hackintosh has been working for almost a year without this problem... then suddenly I can't get it to boot except maybe 10% of the time without the 3 minute black screen followed by no drives and no USB. Please if you figure out what is causing this... I'm dying to know how to fix it.

My system is: z690 Gigabyte Aero D, Radeon 6950XT, 13700K, WD SN770 NVMe. Sounds very similar to your system. Already tried everything I can think of, including many NVRAM resets... sometimes it feels like it helped make it boot, but I think ultimately it's all coincidence. Sometimes it will boot ok 3 times in a row, then I get a streak of 10 times no luck. I'm wearing out my power button by holding it in just to get a usable session. I tried the newest BIOS and it made no difference. This is insane. Only thing I can think of to try next is a fresh OS install but that's going to be a real pain, especially if it doesn't even make a difference.

Last edited:
@mikecmp @Xyla

If you're both experiencing the some problems (OpenCore occasionally shows just the system disk, and long boot time) please list all the components and software versions as follows:
  1. BIOS version
  2. macOS version
  3. Make and model of every NVMe SSD in the system
    • And which O/S is installed on each SSD
  4. Make and model of every SATA SSD in the system
  5. Make and model of every PCIe card in all slots
  6. Make and model and any and all Thunderbolt devices if you're using a Thunderbolt add-in-card

@mikecmp @Xyla

If you're both experiencing the some problems (OpenCore occasionally shows just the system disk, and long boot time) please list all the components and software versions as follows:
  1. BIOS version
  2. macOS version
  3. Make and model of every NVMe SSD in the system
  4. Make and model of every SATA SSD in the system
  5. Make and model of every PCIe card in all slots
  6. Make and model and any and all Thunderbolt devices if you're using a Thunderbolt add-in-card
BIOS: F28 (my mobo is Gigabyte AERO D, but maybe BIOS is the same... however I should mention that when this first started occurring I had BIOS version F24, and I upgraded to F28 in an unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem)
MacOS: Ventura 13.3.1
NVMe: WD Black SN770 x2, WD Black SN850X... however I removed all SSDs except the SN770 MacOS/Opencore is on and it made no difference.
SATA: Irrelevant because in attempting to diagnose this, I tried removing all SATA drives and it makes no diffference.
PCIe: XFX Radeon 6950XT in 16x slot, Texas Instruments XIO2213B Firewire card in 4x slot.
Thunderbolt: Motherboard has Maple Ridge TB4 built-in, but I am not using any Thunderbolt devices.

One more thing, as I mentioned when this happens, I also lose all USB 2.0 and 3.x functionality. I still have USB 1.1 so my keyboard and mouse work, but nothing else. Can't use USB drives. @mikecmp didn't mention that symptom, so I'm curious if we are both experiencing that as well?

I just have the issue with missing drives. I’ll pull the list of them. Have a mix of nvme and ssd drives

I just have the issue with missing drives. I’ll pull the list of them. Have a mix of nvme and ssd drives
Do you by any chance have ACPI errors during boot? I have some that have always been there and didn't seem to cause a problem. However since this started happening, I notice a pause when it hits them sometimes. It never pauses on them when it is going to boot properly, but it doesn't always pause when it's broken. Let me know if you have anything similar...

Attachments

• ACPI_errors_photo_2024-01-15_13-27-49.jpg
    ACPI_errors_photo_2024-01-15_13-27-49.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 18
Not sure, I don’t have verbose booting set up since like 95% of the time it reboots fine.

Not sure, I don’t have verbose booting set up since like 95% of the time it reboots fine.
Ah. Well it's the opposite for me, it only boots properly maybe 10% of the time.

Back