Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Update: Just rebooted the router as a last guessimate of what to do. It works now!

Hmmm, my Intel WiFi stopped working. (I'm in Sonoma using OC 0.9.5.) The Wifi seems to link up with my router; however, I don't get any Internet response. The WiFi worked last week, but no joy today. (I've been working on my Mac Studio.)

Here's the screen shots of my config.plst ACPI and Kernel.

Aren't you supposed to use just one of the Itlwm kexts?, maybe remove the BRCM related kexts too.

Aren't you supposed to use just one of the Itlwm kexts?, maybe remove the BRCM related kexts too.
I'm only using the Sonoma version of the kext. The rest are unchecked and not loaded.

Update: Just rebooted the router as a last guessimate of what to do. It works now!

USB 2.0 devices disconnecting all at once possible permanent solution.

Hey ya'll so for a little less than a year since I've had my build me and other users here have been experiencing bizarre USB behavior where we would lose all usb 2.0 devices including the broadcom bluetooth module. I tried narrowing down to no avail. This made it so I wasn't able to safely reboot the computer and forcing it to shut down and restart was the only way to get USB devices back. I believe this only happened if you had a 13th gen processor and therefore had to also be on a later BIOS version. Connecting the devices to a usb 3.0 port did not fix this issue. The USB ports were mapped correctly.

I figured there was something with the specific mix components a few of us had and the number of USB 2.0 devices attached that the USB controller and Mac OS combined didn't like.

My solution was to add a PCI-e usb card. Since we need one that is compatible with Mac OS, the options were limited. I also needed one that had internal USB ports to connect the bluetooth module coming from the broadcom wifi pci adapter and the NZXT hub I was using for my AIO and fan controller.

I only found this card that met this criteria

And two of these adapters to convert the internal usb 2.0 motherboard plugs to the "internal" usb-a ports in the pci-e card

I have more usb 2.0 devices than the average user: keyboard, mouse, wacom tablet, razer tartarus gaming keypad (I use it for Photoshop macros for work), webcam, and the two internal ports I mentioned.

When plugging each device into its own port in the PCI-e card boot time was slower and the Open Core interface was pretty much unusable with how laggy it was. Maybe a more expensive card with a better controller would solve this, but the one I found didn't have the internal ports and it wasn't a guarantee it would even fix the issue.

Here's one I found that supposedly works with Mac OS, but again, I haven't tested it. If you don't need the internal ports and want to take the risk, here's the link

At the end, I solved this new lag/slowness issue by plugging in 4/5 devices into a usb 3.0 hub connected to the pci-e card. I already had this laying around, and it's discontinued but any usb 3.0 hub should work? It wasn't anything special, an insignia-branded hub from Best Buy in the US. An older version of this

It's been two months and I haven't had any issues yet with the PCI-e + usb 3.0 hub combo. The only downside is that NZXT cam on windows does not recognize the RGB lights on the fans, but I don't care about that, I keep my lights on white all the time. I may be able to connect the NZXT hub straight on the motherboard but I don't care much to mess around with this any more.

I just wanted to post this "solution" here for those who have had this problem (Sorry I forgot your usernames) or if someone else has to deal with this in the future.

@jorsh,

Above post added to Troubleshooting section in Post 1:

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.41.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.41.49 AM.png

Finally got around to overclocking RAM.

Best I could do was 4x8GB 14-14-14-28-CR1 @3700 Mhz 1.44v VCCSA 1.2v. Was able to post @3800 Mhz but started getting memory errors.

Prepared by Thaiphoon Burner Super Blaster
-------------------------------------------------------------
MEMORY MODULE
Manufacturer : Patriot Memory
Series : Not determined
Part Number : 4400 C19 Series
Serial Number : 01280675h
JEDEC DIMM Label : 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2133P-UA0-10
Architecture : DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM
Speed Grade : DDR4-2133P downbin
Capacity : 8 GB (8 components)
Organization : 1024M x64 (1 rank)
Register Manufacturer : N/A
Register Model : N/A
Manufacturing Date : February 1-5 / Week 05, 2021
Manufacturing Location : Taipei, Taiwan
Revision / Raw Card : 0001h / A0 (8 layers)
DRAM COMPONENTS
Manufacturer : Samsung
Part Number : K4A8G085WB-BCPB
Package : Standard Monolithic 78-ball FBGA
Die Density / Count : 8 Gb B-die (Boltzmann / 20 nm) / 1 die
Composition : 1024Mb x8 (64Mb x8 x 16 banks)
Input Clock Frequency : 1067 MHz (0.938 ns)
Minimum Timing Delays : 15-15-15-36-50
Read Latencies Supported : 16T, 15T, 14T, 13T, 12T, 11T, 10T
Supply Voltage : 1.20 V
XMP Certified : 2198 MHz / 19-19-19-39-69 / 1.45 V
XMP Extreme : 2132 MHz / 19-19-19-39-133 / 1.35 V
SPD Revision : 1.0 / January 2014
XMP Revision : 2.0 / December 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• cachemem.png
    cachemem.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 21
USB 2.0 devices disconnecting all at once possible permanent solution.

Hey @jorsh, Thanks for sharing your findings. I was having the same issue as you've stated, I'm also on a 13th gen processor. I've read across somewhere talking about Gigabyte motherboard has some USB power management issue. If the port is drawing too much power, it will just stop working. What I did was add a power hub between the motherboard and all my power hungry devices (eg. webcam, USB microphone). I've been running this for about two months and the issue haven't happen again yet. I hope this post helps someone as well.

Anyone tried Thunderbolt bridges between this build and other Mac devices?

Back