Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Fix - Sleep/Wake on BIOS F22
Although sleep/wake worked after reverting back to BIOS F8, version F22 seems to support my RAM better (4x8GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 4400); especially when overclocking.

I decided to try jumping back to BIOS F22 and see if it would fail again after setting all the BIOS options in order to boot; and it did. Before doing so, I thought I had enabled Re-size BAR support since I'm running a 6900 XT and my config is set for Re-size BAR support, but I was not able to boot. That is because I forgot that in version F8, Re-size BAR Support is visible but hidden in F22 until you set Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. After testing sleep/wake and it failing once again after jumping to F22, i went back into BIOS and looked at the description text when selecting Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. That setting seems to have a dependency on Aperture Size in that according to the description it is enabled automatically when Aperture Size is set to 2048MB. I decided to check what my max value is for Aperture Size and saw that the default value was 256MB. I bumped it up to the max value to 1024MB, saved the changes and booted up.

Increasing Aperture Size from the default of 256MB seems to have done the trick and I'm no longer experience the sleep/wake issue that I was having earlier on BIOS F22 and that made a difference.

I've attached some screenshots of the BIOS settings for reference.

BIOS Version F22
View attachment 563904

Aperture Size default 256MB
View attachment 563905

View attachment 563907

View attachment 563908

View attachment 563909

Change Aperture Size to max value.
View attachment 563910

You can see the total number of Sleep/Wakes (3) that I did sequentially:
View attachment 563911

Hi @beelzebozo, I can't find Aperture Size in my Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4, is that only exists in Z690 Aero or only DDR5 version?

Update:
I found the Aperture Size setting, had to enable Internal Graphics and reboot into the BIOS again in order to see it.

Now my hackintosh sleep fine, no sleep issue anymore! Thank you!

Last edited:
I had this problem and never was able to resolve the problem. I tried everything suggested on this forum which included some members writing spoofing for me. The strange thing is both my Aero boards using @CaseySJ EFI, work with the RX570, 580, 5700 XT and 6900XT, but not with the RX 6600, 6600XT, or 6500XT. It gets stuck on the Apple load in screen. The RX 660, 6600XT and 6500XT work on my old Gigabyte z390 Gaming M without spoofing with VENTURA!

Settled on using an RX 5700XT.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. It figures I would pick a video card that is essentially incompatible... <argh>

@CaseySJ: Thanks for the quick reply, What I can see the only difference that we have is that I'm on Windows 10 instead of Windows 11, let me try to do a clean install of windows and report back thanks.

@jorsh: Yeah, It I encounter again, I'll report back as well, but if it's not a software issue I think we'll have to either wait for a BIOS update or switch MB.
Reporting back on the USB issue. I haven't encountered USB devices randomly disconnecting since.

Recap:
-disabled SSDT-EC-USBX-Z690.aml (still don't know if this is relevant)
-using the 15 port limit SSDT (otherwise none of my usb 2.0 ports work, not just the ones outlined by the guide)
-uninstalled iStat
** never got to install Bartender in the first place –mike878 suggested to uninstall

Using BIOS F21

Out of curiousity, does anyone else experience random disconnects with their Bluetooth devices? I've got a Satechi Slim X1 Bluetooth keyboard that's about 5 feet away from the big white antenna that came with the motherboard, and while the connection is typically strong, at times it just dies completely. I'm using the AX201 card. Signal is even worse with the BCM94360NG card (it's downright atrocious, nothing is picked up unless its a couple feet away).

Exposing the Wifi/BT card by removing the silver plate that covers it doesn't seem to really improve things by much; I can still feel lag/latency with basic typing on a keyboard.

Last edited:
The Problem seems to occur when you enable above 4GB encoding and above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. This appears to be true on both the Z690 and Z790 Aero motherboards. I have had the problem you describe on both boards and disabling 4GB MMIMO BIOS solves the problem. My Z690 has an i7-12700KF and a Radeon RX 5700XT and the Z790 has an i7-13700KF and a Radeon RX 6900XT.

I also have sleep issues if 4GB MIMO BIOS is enabled. After the second or third sleep cycle, the computer wakes up but the displays do not and my usb FocusRite sound interface does not wake up.
As I'm using a CPU without iGPU so there's no Aperture size setting in BIOS, following the post above disabling above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment seems to fix the sleep issue for me on BIOS F22, I've been testing on a daily drive machine for a week right now, will report back if I run into issue in the future.

As I'm using a cpu without iGPU so there's no Aperture size setting in bios, following the post above disabling above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment seems to fix the sleep issue for me on bios F22, I've been testing on a daily drive machine for a week right now, will report back if I run into issue in the future.
So you're not using Re-size support then?

Ventura 13.2.1 was running fine with BIOS F6, then I had to go and install BIOS F22. Now startup stops with "ACPI exception: AE_not_found".

I had 4 16GB sticks of RAM, so I removed 2 sticks, still get error.

I just want to use my hackintosh, any suggestions.

Thanks

Ventura 13.2.1 was running fine with BIOS F6, then I had to go and install BIOS F22. Now startup stops with "ACPI exception: AE_not_found".

Thanks
You need to reconfigure your BIOS settings since they will reset after an update. If you enabled Re-size bar support in OpenCore, you need to enable it in BIOS.

Thanks

@brixx noted on Pg 226 one upgrade issue for newer BIOS versions that may fix your issue

'For newer BIOS you need: booter - SetupVirtualMap set to ON, maybe that's the problem''

This worked for me upgrading from F7 to F22. Had to remove my NVMe, put it in an external enclosure, edit my config.plist, and reinstall / reboot, booted right up on F22

Beelzebozo said:
"You need to reconfigure your BIOS settings since they will reset after an update. If you enabled Re-size bar support in Open Core, you need to enable it in BIOS."

yes, I did that!

By the way, the initial install was done using CaseySJ's instuctions with Opencore 0.8.3, after a period of using Monetery I upgraded to Ventura 13.2.1, then upgraded to OpenCore 0.9.0. Everything was fine till I upgraded BIOS from F6 To F22.
Thanks for any help,

Back