Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hello Everyone,
I was having multiple problems with Monterey 12.2.1. Always a message that the computer did not shut down properly even when it did, reboot after several sleep cycles, unlock with apple watch stopped working, repeated requirement to sign in to iCloud which was freezing when logging in. Tried multiple suggested solutions to no avail. Updated to 12.3 and, of course, all the problems followed along and Lightroom Classic no longer loaded. Finally I did a clean install and reinstalled all my apps using 12.3.1. Things looking pretty good, Apple sign-in fine, watch unlock fine, no more shutdown messages and sleep perfect. Lightroom classic would not open which was solved by going to a previous version of LRC.

New problem. The main Monitor wallpaper resets to default on reboot no matter how many times I change the wallpaper to what I want. Tried resetting NVRAM to no avail. Is anyone also having this problem?

Also some strange behavior. It boots directly into sign-in screen at a low resolution. You sign-in and you get the loading bar for about 3 seconds. This is an incredibly fast boot from OPCORE 0.7.8 load to the desktop. Also shut down is incredibly fast. Any thoughts?
Problem solved https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ot-solving-even-reinstalling-monterey.323776/

Just to let you know. Gigabyte is taking the Titan Ridge BIOS recognition issue seriously. They have written back twice now asking specific questions about my configuration and the behavior of the board with the F8 and F22. With the i7-12700KF and the i7-13700KF. They also asked details about the video card and what other cards are on the bus. I think encouraging.

@CaseySJ - Would it be possible to have an edited SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-INTEL.aml with HS13 enabled and disable maybe HS02 or HS04?

Last edited:
Just to let you know. Gigabyte is taking the Titan Ridge BIOS recognition issue seriously. They have written back twice now asking specific questions about my configuration and the behavior of the board with the F8 and F22. With the i7-12700KF and the i7-13700KF. They also asked details about the video card and what other cards are on the bus. I think encouraging.
I received my final reply from Gigabyte support after I answered all their questions.
“We have double checked with our team, if you wish to run the Thunderbolt card on this board, please replace it with the Maple Ridge.
Since Titan Ridge did not passed validation on this board, it cannot be fully supported.”

@CaseySJ - Would it be possible to have an edited SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-INTEL.aml with HS13 enabled and disable maybe HS02 or HS04?
This version has HS13 enabled, but HS02 disabled (maintains 15 port limit).

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-INTEL-HS13.aml
    708 bytes · Views: 20
I received my final reply from Gigabyte support after I answered all their questions.
“We have double checked with our team, if you wish to run the Thunderbolt card on this board, please replace it with the Maple Ridge.
Since Titan Ridge did not passed validation on this board, it cannot be fully supported.”
Someone with AMI BIOS experience (i.e. who has used AMI BIOS tools on Windows) may be able to extract the ThunderboltDXE drivers from a previous BIOS and insert it into the current BIOS. @Elias64Fr is someone who can do this, but let's see if there exists another such person...

This can be dangerous, however, because I'm not sure if these new boards use 8-pin SPI Flash ROM chips that we could restore with a CH341a or other SPI ROM reader/writer should things go south (i.e. if we end up bricking the BIOS).

This version has HS13 enabled, but HS02 disabled (maintains 15 port limit).
Thank you!

Just in case anyone else was experiencing sleep issues.

I was experiencing "Failure during sleep: 0x0000001F : EFI/Bootrom Failure after last point of entry to sleep" but it seems to have gone away after changing BT to Fenvi BCM94360NG WiFi.

To anyone else experiencing this, try to skip the BT related .kext files.

It worked well for a year and now suddenly it doesn't pass validation?

I'm curious how Asus does it that the Thunderbolt options display regardless of whether we have the THB_C header connected.

It worked well for a year and now suddenly it doesn't pass validation?

I'm curious how Asus does it that the Thunderbolt options display regardless of whether we have the THB_C header connected.
They don’t seem to get the point.

They don’t seem to get the point.
Over a year ago, @Elias64Fr extracted the Thunderbolt DXE/PEI drivers from Apple’s own firmware and surgically implanted them into the Gigabyte Z390 firmware. He had to adjust some checksum bytes so that the modified BIOS could be flashed from within BIOS Setup.

It worked wonderfully. It could configure all Thunderbolt properties automatically, including Thunderbolt DROM.

We just need someone to apply the same methodology to fix GC-Titan Ridge on Gigabyte Z690 Aero G.

Back