Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Awesome! Thanks for the info @NCMacGuy.

On my Z390 on a cold boot, the monitor doesn't turn on till part way through the boot up process. After that it stays on during a restart. I also have to have a monitor plugged in or use a "ghost plug" on a cold boot or the system doesn't detect a monitor and won't boot.

@nottooshabby

I just ran these on my Z690 Aero G my i9-12900K/RX 6800 XT.

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 4.40.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 4.44.40 PM.png

@nottooshabby @Jeson

I saw your posts on the Apple Thunderbolt Display being used with a Z690 build so I had to pull my TBD from storage to check it out. It works as @Jeson reported with my GB Z690 Aero G build. I'm using a GC Titan Ridge v1 card with CaseySJ's firmware 23.

The only thing I noticed in my very brief trial was that the boot screen appeared on the TBD on a warm boot when my LG display was set as the main display. Really no problem as when loaded the LG display remained the "main display."

Sleep works, and the TBD turns on from a warm or cold boot.

It looks like the Apple TBD should work fine with at least the Z690 Aero G.

View attachment 552694
View attachment 552695
View attachment 552696
View attachment 552697
Awesome! Thanks for the info @NCMacGuy.

@nottooshabby

CPU cooler is an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280. Memory is Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz.
I wish I had bought 3600 MHz RAM for my Z390 build. It seems to make a noticeable difference over 3200 MHz. I definitely need a better CPU cooler too.

Hello, forum! I hope you can help me to get MacOS installed on this build.

I am attempting to install Monterey 12.5 from a USB drive that I prepared according to CaseySJ's instructions in this thread. After choosing "Install MacOS Monterey" from the OpenCore picker, the computer hangs on the Apple logo.

I am attaching the log from Verbose mode, as well as my config.plist below.

My build includes:

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 motherboard
Intel i7-12600K CPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT graphics card
T-919 Bluetooth/WIFI PCIe card
NVMe SSDs (500 GB x 3 drives): all Samsung brand, which I already owned before reading the warning at the top of this thread.

I started with the EFI 0.7.7 file that CaseySJ included, and modified as he instructed, with no additional modifications so far.

I have tried to do some troubleshooting for the errors listed myself, but I'm in way over my head with that and I haven't been able to make any progress.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• ErrorLog.jpg
    ErrorLog.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 30
  • config.plist
    31.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello forum, I hope you can help me to get MacOS installed on this build.

I am attempting to install Monterey 12.5 from a USB drive that I prepared according to CaseySJ's instructions in this thread. After choosing "Install MacOS Monterey" from the OpenCore picker, the computer hangs on the Apple logo.

I am attaching the log from Verbose mode, as well as my config.plist below.

My build includes:

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 motherboard
Intel I7-12600K CPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT graphics card
F919 Bluetooth/WIFI PCIe card
NVMe SSDs (500 GB x 3 drives): all Samsung brand, which I already owned before reading the warning at the top of this thread.

I started with the EFI 0.7.7 file that CaseySJ included, and modified as he instructed, with no additional modifications so far.

I have tried to do some troubleshooting for the errors listed myself, but I'm in way over my head with that and I haven't been able to make any progress.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Hello @DocMeattey,

First thing to check: In BIOS, is CFG-Lock disabled (in the Boot section)? We need to disable it.

Hello @DocMeattey,

First thing to check: In BIOS, is CFG-Lock disabled (in the Boot section)? We need to disable it.
Yes, I just confirmed that CFG-Lock is set to disabled in BIOS, so that does not seem to be the problem.

Thank you!

Yes, I just confirmed that CFG-Lock is set to disabled in BIOS, so that does not seem to be the problem.

Thank you!
Now let's do the following because you started with OC 0.7.7:
  • Backup or rename the EFI folder. We'll replace it with a completely different one.
  • Download the OpenCore 0.8.3-PRE EFI folder and follow the guidance provided in this post.
    • Be sure to copy serial numbers to the new config.plist
  • Change SecureBootModel to Default if it's not already set to that.
  • Now let's boot using the new EFI folder and make sure everything is okay with current build. Then attempt the Monterey 12.5 upgrade.
If this is not a new system, make a full bootable backup of your current macOS system before proceeding.

Back