Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3 U1H Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to what Pixelgazer did, here's a [temporary] fix to overclock using the beta UEFI U1h bios. Note: I use the standard Mac Pro 3,1 definition.

Bios settings:

Advanced Frequency Settings --> Advanced CPU Core Features
CPU Clock Ratio [42]
Intel Turbo Boost Technology [Enabled]
Turbo Ratio CPU1 [42]
Turbo Ratio CPU2 [42]
Turbo Ratio CPU3 [41]
Turbo Ratio CPU4 [42]
CPU EIST Function [Enabled]

Rename the attached SSDT-Z68X-UD3H-B3-UEFI1h to SSDT.aml and place it in /Extra

I get a Geekbench (32-bit version) score of ~10400

ghorwith said:
Similar to what Pixelgazer did, here's a [temporary] fix to overclock using the beta UEFI U1h bios. Note: I use the standard Mac Pro 3,1 definition.

Is your max multiplier x41? Mine was. I'm trying to figure out why your Geekbench score is 100 less than mine. Memory speed? Mine is set at 1600 MHz, yours?

I looked at your SSDT and can't spot a fundemental difference between it and the i5/i7 Overclocked SSDT from MultiBeast. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I just find it weird that sticking a 41 multiplier for CPU3 gets you/us fairly close to a fair overclock. Did you try any other multipliers say above 42?

I must say that it's the weirdest thing I've experienced since I started overclocking back around year 2000 and I needed to change the VID by wrapping a fine copper wire around 3 CPU pins. :crazy:

I'm looking forward to going back to an UEFI bios once the bugs are worked out. I hope it's soon.

pixelgazer said:
ghorwith said:

Is your max multiplier x41? Mine was. I'm trying to figure out why your Geekbench score is 100 less than mine. Memory speed? Mine is set at 1600 MHz, yours?

I looked at your SSDT and can't spot a fundemental difference between it and the i5/i7 Overclocked SSDT from MultiBeast. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I just find it weird that sticking a 41 multiplier for CPU3 gets you/us fairly close to a fair overclock. Did you try any other multipliers say above 42?

I must say that it's the weirdest thing I've experienced since I started overclocking back around year 2000 and I needed to change the VID by wrapping a fine copper wire around 3 CPU pins. :crazy:

I'm looking forward to going back to an UEFI bios once the bugs are worked out. I hope it's soon.
You're absolutely correct - the SSDT.aml are identical, so MB version is far easier for everyone. I re-ran GeekBench and got 10,590-10,595 several times with no other apps running. I have 8gb ram @ 1600, but 2 other differences: I have an Nvidia GTS450 in this machine at the moment, and the cpu is the 2550k (which should theoretically be slightly faster than the 2500k, but that all depends on the benchmark program).

Well, I reapplied the U1H Bios today, removing my DSDT file from the /Extra folder, but I left my current SSDT.aml file right where it was, because I was using the i5/i7 OC SSDT from multi beast. Booted up, no problems, but my multiplier is only going up to x41 like some others. I ran Geekbench before the update and got a score around 15000. After the update it was a 1000 less at around 14000. Strange no? I'm going to run with this bios for a little while and see how it goes. I've already done the rollback before, so I know it's easy if I choose to do so.

Matt

does it always stay at x41 even when not under load or does it drop down to x16 at idle?

It'll drop down to x16 when idle. But under the F12 bios, it would go up to x42. Would this lack of 1 extra point be the cause of the 1000 point difference in Geekbench scores I've been getting between bios versions?

Matt

brewmattster said:
It'll drop down to x16 when idle. But under the F12 bios, it would go up to x42. Would this lack of 1 extra point be the cause of the 1000 point difference in Geekbench scores I've been getting between bios versions?

Matt

Yes. That's what I observed also. about 1000 points/100 MHz. Also it seems that the 32-bit score is about 1000 points lower than the 64-bit score around those frequencies.

Mountain Lion is coming out soon so I figure the brain share around here will be on that 'problem' instead of figuring out why the U1h beta firmware is causing trouble for the power management kernel extension in Lion. Also, I doubt that the pros around will care about U1h until it's firmly official.

As a side note, the SSDT built into U1h goes like this, {5901,5900,5600,5300,5000,4700,4400,4100,3700,3400,3100,2800,2500,2200,1900,1600}. Notice the 300 MHz increments.

Things are not as rosey as when I first loaded this bios for me. Everything was great at first, but I wanted to see if I could get more p-states out of the 2700k, so I changed my smbios.plist from a very well refined MacPro5,1 to a MacPro3,1 and as part of that process also deleted all of my preferences and boot caches. It all went horribly wrong from there. My audio is acting really weird and applications are freezing periodically. If I launch itunes, the audio drops out and the sound menubar icon goes grey for a few seconds and then comes back. Coreaudiod shows very high cpu (like 135%), so I've got issues. I've tried deleting all the audio kexts and reboothing then rerolling with various combinations of patched 10.7.4 AppleHDA and HDAEnabler and HDA rollback with the enabler with the same results.

So then I figured, what the hell, I'll just do a fresh install on spare drive. So I rolled a usb boot installer of Lion with the latest Unibeast. Unfortunatley, after 4 hours of trying to get that to boot, I gave up. It boots past Chameleon, but hangs with a black or grey screen when initiallizing video....it does this with both my 6870 and the onboard video even with the ATI card completely removed. Tired various boot parameters (pciroot 0/1, GraphicsEnabler Yes/No, etc) to no avail.

Has anyone sucessfully booted a unibeast install drive with the U1H Bios - maybe someone else can test that.

I might be doing a bios rollback tonight, but I hate to do that since everying was running so awsomely initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back