Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3 U1H Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3 U1H Bios testing

sooo... I tried the U1h bios, I'm liking it, and sticking with. As posted above by someone else all is working as it was for F12 bios except not having a proper SSDT for over clocking. With the CPU defaults (no over clocking) plus the i5 SSDT I get P-States and a turbo mode up to 3.7 GHz. It idles at 1.7 GHz. Any other combination I tried resulted in a fixed 1.6 GHz state. Well actually, the i5/i7 Overclock SSDT gives me the same results as the i5 SSDT.

In the process I even learned more about the audio kext because I managed to get the S/PDIF (COAX) from the motherboard working. And before that I learned about aggregate audio output to setup 5.1 analog sound. Wonderful platform this Mac OS X.

I'm too much of a hacking0sh newb to attempt an experiment with a custom SSDT. Until some one fixes this or I gain the experience I'll need to live with my stock clocks which isn't a big deal.

Cheers!

ric0h said:
Make sure you have intel virtualization technology enabled in the uefi bios. It's disabled by default after you load optimized defaults.
I should have realized... stupid mistake. Now it runs fine. Tnx for the heads up.

Recently bought this motherboard, default BIOS version was the U1H.

With fresh install I have everything working, I've done the kind thing and taken a screenshot of the Multibeast configuration you need.

In terms of BIOS changes, everything for me is default apart from changing SATA boot thing from IDE to AHCI.

You need to select UserDSDT install, but you DO NOT put a DSDT on the desktop.

Also, system definition is a Mac Mini.

CPU: Intel i7 2600K
GFX: AMD Radeon 6870

Running 10.7.4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 11.31.33.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 11.31.33.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 483

brownin said:

With fresh install I have everything working, I've done the kind thing and taken a screenshot of the Multibeast configuration you need.

In terms of BIOS changes, everything for me is default apart from changing SATA boot thing from IDE to AHCI.

Also, system definition is a Mac Mini.

CPU: Intel i7 2600K
GFX: AMD Radeon 6870

Running 10.7.4
Nice, man! what about overclock?

brownin said:

Since I'm new to all this the statement above has me wondering if I did something wrong and what the different between selecting 1) "UserDSDT Install" + NOT putting a DSDT.aml on the desktop, and 2) just NOT selecting "UserDSDT Install". I did the latter because I figured that the only thing the "UserDSDT Install" option did was rename the DSDT-GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3-F12.aml to DSDT.aml and copy it the Extra folder.

Also I did Audio a little different. I selected
..\Audio\Realtek ALC8xx\Non-DSDT HDAEnabler\ALC889 and
..\Audio\Realtek ALC8xx\Patched AppleHDA\ALC889

I did this so I could edit the AppleHDA.kext to make my S/PDIF from my motherboard work (coax). There's a few posts about this topic already so I won't go into it here.

Sound also worked fine when I originally selected:
..\Audio\Realtek ALC8xx\Unified Device Injector\ALC8xxHDA and
..\Audio\Realtek ALC8xx\AppleHDA Rollback and
..\Audio\Realtek ALC8xx\Non-DSDT HDAEnabler\ALC889

As mentioned (not by me) earlier the key to getting sound to work is selecting a Non-DSDT HDAEnabler option.

About SSDT and overclocking... I've been experimenting with various SSDTs in MultiBeast and with others I've found in various posts. The i5 SSDT gives me x17 to x37 on stock config while an edited i5/i7 Overclock SSDT gives me x21 to x37 (I removed the stuff for the extra CPUs in the i7). Why am I not getting the minimum x16? Hmmm... It seems that we only can define 22 P-States and the rest get chopped off the bottom. The i5 SSDT defines 23 P-States from 3800 to 1600 and the 22nd is 1700. The my i5 OC SSDT defines 27 P-States from 4200 to 1600 and the 22nd is 2100.

So... I'll create a new i5 SSDT that defines 22 P-States and goes from 3700 to 1600 and report back.
[update] Yep I now get x16 with my edited SSDT and it goes up to x37 in turbo mode while benchmarking. I noticed something else... while using a SSDT that defined 4200 to 1600 the idle speed was 2100 (not the normal 1600) but if didn't do anything for a bit and then checked HWMonitor I'd see x16 for a second. So... I now think that the 22nd P-State defines the "he's just typing mode".

The other thing I noticed is if the bios doesn't show AUTO for the individual core multipliers none of this works. And the only thing that put AUTO back is doing a "set optimized defaults".

-p

Hello, I just wondering how I go about installing this Bios version. I'm currently on F12, but I can't get it to load on Q-Flash. What are my options? I have a Windows 7 install on a separate Hard Drive if that helps at all.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the quick response!! I'll try it out when I get home from work in the morning. I trust that I can use this same usb boot disk for the F12 rollback from the first post if things go really awry?

Matt

so is U1H recommended over F10-12 at this point? it seems audio is the only small issue and some of us just use USB audio anyways.

Well at this point I'd say audio isn't an issue either. The only issue left in my view is with overclocking which indicates that power management and P-State stuff isn't perfect.

I managed to get up to 4.1 GHz at this point using the these settings:

MultiBeast
MacBookPro8,3 (used Chameleon Wizard to generate)
...Customization\Boot Options\SSDT\Core i5/i7 Overclocked

BIOS - frequency
EIST [Enabled]
Turbo [Enabled]
CPU1 [42]
CPU2 [42]
CPU3 [41]
CPU4 [42]

BIOS - Voltages
All AUTO

At 4.1 GHz I get a Geekbench score of 11800 +/- 15

I've been playing around with this for a couple of days and the thing that strike me as odd is that adjusting the voltage settings makes ZERO difference. It's like to OS ignores the values and uses it's own. HWMonitor reports CPU VRM Voltage = 1.044v @ 1600 MHz and 1.056v @ 4100 MHz regardless of the Vcore setting I set. Setting QPI/Vtt Voltage to something like 1.20v does affect the CPU VRM Voltage numbers.

If I use any other combination of the CPU ratios I get a KP. For example, {41,41,41,41}, {39,40,41,42}, {43,42,41,39} all result in a KP while setting up the CPU P-States. Even {39,39,39,39} fails but {39,39,41,39} works but the max clock in the OS is 3.9 GHz. It seems that CPU-3 is important somehow.

I went as far as to extract and edit the SSDT from the BIOS but that was a waste of time and I got further playing around with the various system definitions.

I still one more thing to try. I noticed that MultiBeast has a Patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement option for 10.7.4. I wonder what that will do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back