Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z590I Vision D - Network over Thunderbolt (FULL Thunderbolt support?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590I Vision D
CPU
i7-11700
Graphics
RX 6800
Hi. I can't get Network over Thunderbolt in my Gigabyte Z590I Vision D setup and unfortunately this is mandatory.
Any idea how to make it work?
Is there any way to make the JHL8540 Maple Ridge controller appear in the Thunderbolt/USB4 System Report?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have a read of @Leesureone's Z590i guide, it may offer you a way to get your Thunderbolt ports working with a TB to Ethernet adapter.

Also can you check you have the correct CPU listed in your User Profile, as I don't think the Comet Lake i7-10700 is compatible with a Rocket Lake motherboard.

Have a read of @Leesureone's Z590i guide, it may offer you a way to get your Thunderbolt ports working with a TB to Ethernet adapter.

Thanks, but the idea is to use a high-speed IP connection with the MacBook via Thunderbolt, not ANY Ethernet connection. I need at least a 10Gb connection, and that means I would also have to use a 10Gb adapter with the MacBook, which gets too complicated.

Unfortunately the Thunderbolt in my hack only works with an SSD (also hot plug). It doesn't see the MacBook. After connecting the Thunderbolt cable it messed up my MacBook charging and I had to reset the SMC.

BTW - yes, my CPU is 11700 and not 10700

I assume you are trying to connect a Thunderbolt3 device (MacBook) to a Thunderbolt4 device. This is known to be problematic with the Maple Ridge TB cards in macOS, whether they are builtin or PCIe add-on cards.

Are you connecting the two systems with a Type-C USB cable, or a good quality TB4 cable?

This long thread (207 pages) may offer some light on the subject, as CaseySJ is usually very thorough when it comes to testing add-on or built in TB cards in his systems.

I use MacBook Pro 16 (2019, Intel) and original Apple white Thunderbolt3 0,8 m cable.

Hi. I can't get Network over Thunderbolt in my Gigabyte Z590I Vision D setup and unfortunately this is mandatory.
Any idea how to make it work?
Is there any way to make the JHL8540 Maple Ridge controller appear in the Thunderbolt/USB4 System Report?
If you do mean Thunderbolt networking, this requires activating the Thunderbolt bus.
It was reported that Asus Z690 with on-board Maple Ridge spontaneously had an active Thunderbolt bus under Big Sur. If I remember correctly, there was no such happiness with Gigabyte Z690 boards. Anyway, this stopped working with Monterey and Ventura. Maple Ridge has no support in macOS and no solution has been found.

So you're out of luck. The only reliable way to enable the Thunderbolt bus is to use a flashed Titan Ridge, which you cannot do with a mini-ITX Z590 board. It would be possible, though risky, with a Z490 board with on-board Titan Ridge.

That's a shame. I was positive because I saw in the descriptions that Thunderbolt "works" for this mobo. So, after a short adventure, it is time to say: farewell Mr. Hack.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back