RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I am struggling to get my Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra to boot the MacOS installer using OpenCore 0.9.8, macOS Sonoma 14.4 and a iMac 20,1 SMBios. OpenCore itself seems to load fine.

I have followed the Dortania guide to create an EFI (attached - Serial, ROM and MLB redacted) however I must be missing something? I have based the configuration for the Z590 on my successful Z490 Aorus Ultra build, and while there are minor differences, I had expected that the installer would at least complete?

Full specification
Attached below is my OpenCore boot log and some photos of the MacOS installer logs and failure.

Attachments

• opencore-2024-03-25-133354.txt
    256 KB · Views: 5
  • opencore-2024-03-25-133354.txt
    256 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6255.png
    IMG_6255.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6249.png
    IMG_6249.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • EFI.zip
    31.6 MB · Views: 10
Hi,
I am struggling to get my Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra to boot the MacOS installer using OpenCore 0.9.8, macOS Sonoma 14.4 and a iMac 20,1 SMBios. OpenCore itself seems to load fine.

I have followed the Dortania guide to create an EFI (attached - Serial, ROM and MLB redacted) however I must be missing something? I have based the configuration for the Z590 on my successful Z490 Aorus Ultra build, and while there are minor differences, I had expected that the installer would at least complete?

Full specification
Attached below is my OpenCore boot log and some photos of the MacOS installer logs and failure.
Hello,
Give a try to another SMBIOS like iMacPro1,1 or. MacPro7,1
Check the builds in :

Hello,
Give a try to another SMBIOS like iMacPro1,1 or. MacPro7,1
Check the builds in :
Hi,

Full specification

Your problem is that your USB ports are becoming disabled during boot. That is what the "Still waiting for root device" error signifies.

The reason is you have iMac20,1 system-definition defined in your config.plist BUT you have iMac20,2 in your Z590-USBPorts kext.

:)

The reason is you have iMac20,1 system-definition defined in your config.plist BUT you have iMac20,2 in your Z590-USBPorts kext.
Well spotted. Thank you. Let me fix that and see if it helps.

@UtterDisbelief , unfortunately not joy.

I've tried to remove all superfluous kernel extensions only leaving what is required to boot OpenCore:

- Lilu.kext
- SMCProcessor.kext
- SMCSuperIO.kext
- VirtualSMC.kext
- WhateverGreen.kext

..and the following for ACPI:
- SSDT-AWAC.aml
- SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
- SSDT-GPRW.aml
- SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml

I still get the following just before the installer fails which makes me believe there may be some sort of BIOS setting and/or other issue?

IMG_2568.png

Below is my BIOS configuration in case there is anything obvious set incorrect.

240325164033.png

240325164043.png

240325164100.png

240325164120.png

240325164156.png

240325164240.png

240325164248.png

240325164325.png

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief , unfortunately not joy.

On the contrary, there is joy - you have now booted to macOS.

The unfortunate thing is that you have new issues.

Change the BIOS Secure Boot setting to Disabled.

:)

Change the BIOS Secure Boot setting to Disabled.
Thank you @UtterDisbelief . Unfortunately I get the same behaviour and the installer fails with the last message as per the previous screenshot "[ACHI][DISK][00170050] setPowerState...."

Hi @Cosmix , thank you for the advice. Tried using the MacPro7,1 SMBios however I see the same results.
Take care. It is not just like that.

You better read some posts, then start from scratch.

Right now, new versions for Sonoma, Ventura are out. We're updating ....

... and they went without a hitch.

Well, if possible try to install a Windows OS. This way you can test all components ( audio, networking (LAN, WiFi), etc)
Also you can gather info about your system (maker/model/version/etc ...)
More important, you can make a decision if BIOS should/must updated ( if it is not at a recent version ).
Also, using SSDTTime utility you should get some .aml files (they may be specific to the current BIOS version).
Using USBToolBox utility you shoud create a well-defined map for USB ports.

Even more, under Windows you can prepare a bootable USB (2.0) stick for the desired version(s) of macOS.
All of the above are described very well in Dortania Guide.

But ... right now (March 2024) Dortania does not teach you how to do "things" past 10th gen Intel CPU hardware.

And your chipset (Z590) is 11th gen Intel ( yes, your CPU is 10th gen Intel).
That's why you should study some "golden builds" or "user builds" which are pointing to important stuff (like CPU spoofing).
Read, check/ask yourself if that "points" can be related to your stuff.

You may find someone with similar/idendical hardware who built a successfull system.
Try to analyze their EFI (if available) but try to create/build for your specific parts.

In many cases, wrong settings in BIOS will "mask" your right settings in EFI.

There are also, some configurators which may help as a starting point ( I do not use configurators ).
Using them you may learn a few things.

Being many ways of doing things... you have choices.
But ultimately, do it your own way !

Cheers :)

=============

UPDATE ( from Dortania Documentation )

1711397106593.png

1711397141067.png

1711397246871.png

Keep working/testing. It should be doable !

Last edited:
Hello,
I prepared an EFI folder from scratch using OC 0.9.9.
There are only a few items included ( no audio, no networking, etc).
The purpose is to have minimal installation stick. Later you will add step by step new items.
Re-check the BIOS settings ( see above post) :

Re-Size BAR Support Auto >> Disabled
IO APIC 24-119 Entries. Enabled >> Disabled
Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) Enabled >> Disabled
Secure Boot Enabled >> Disabled

While testing, keep only one SSD connected (remove the other one, not related to macOS)
Try to use Ventura for tests.
If possible use a USB 2.0 stick in a USB 2.0 port on the rear panel.
As video output, use the DisplayPort of the dedicated video adapter (RX 5600).
Generate serials for SMBIOS iMac20,1.
Keyboard lang is en-US:0.
(Do not use configurators to edit config.plist; may try ProperTree).
Reset Nvram after any modification made in EFI.
Please check it, test it ( attached here )

Cheers :)

Attachments

• EFI_099_milmber_vers_01.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back