Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

** WARNING: macOS Sonoma 14.4 **

If you plan to install the Sonoma 14.4 public beta, please make a full bootable backup first. This version of macOS has been very troublesome in my experience, as follows:
  • Designare Z390 -- installation completes, but system crashes and reboots after login screen
  • Asus Z690 ROG STRIX mini-ITX -- installation fails and returns to 14.3
  • Asus X670E Gene (AMD Ryzen) -- installation fails and returns to 14.3

UPDATE:
Thanks to this post by @AmigaOS, we can install 14.4 after doing this:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled (not default)
  • Disable all WiFi kexts if any
  • Disable all Bluetooth kexts if any
When installation is done we can re-enable SecureBootModel and the kexts, but AirportItlwm should remain disabled until a patch or new version is released!

Last edited:
Hey smart hackintosh folk!

I've had this ongoing problem with slow SSD write speed since the day I first did this build in 2021 (from OC 0.7.6 to 0.9.2 currently, and Catalina upgraded through to Ventura).

My write speed has never gone above 45MB/s, and often sits at around 15MB/s until I do a full shutdown and boot cycle. Read speed is usually 300MB/s.

I'm using two Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB SATA drives (macOS Ventura / Windows 10), TRIM is enabled on both, the Windows drive performs fine.

Would love any guidance or ideas before going down the 'fresh start' route. Thanks in advance!

Hey smart hackintosh folk!

I've had this ongoing problem with slow SSD write speed since the day I first did this build in 2021 (from OC 0.7.6 to 0.9.2 currently, and Catalina upgraded through to Ventura).

My write speed has never gone above 45MB/s, and often sits at around 15MB/s until I do a full shutdown and boot cycle. Read speed is usually 300MB/s.

I'm using two Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB SATA drives (macOS Ventura / Windows 10), TRIM is enabled on both, the Windows drive performs fine.

Would love any guidance or ideas before going down the 'fresh start' route. Thanks in advance!

Thanks @Feartech but I'm using SATA drives not NVMe drives. Does the above still apply to me?

Does the above still apply to me?
Yes, you should be at least booting from an NVMe. Even a smallish 500GB boot drive will make a big difference in how fast your system runs. With one of these you should be getting 3,000 MB/s read and write speeds.

The QLC/QVO drives are not suited for use as a macOS boot drive. For storage they'll get the job done.

I have a Z490 Vision D build, running Ventura 13.6.3. Opencore 0.92. I also flashed the Thunderbolt chip and am successfully running with the Apple Thunderbolt Display and Intel 630 graphics.

What I have problems with: the camera on the Thunderbolt display works fine, and I can run with that for hours. However, if I use display audio, it will work for a while (5-10 min) and then something happens and it seems to completely lose the USB hub in the display. Some bad interaction with the kernel, the audio stack, and the USB stack. I have streamed the log grepping for USB and audio and can’t identify a specific event. I am wondering if someone can take a look at my IORegistry explorer and EFI and see if I have any obvious USB-related misconfiguration. The IORegistry export was taken before the audio disconnect

Attachments

• Big Mac ioreg exp pre.ioreg
    5.7 MB · Views: 5
  • EFI.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 9
CaseySJ et al. I was running OC 9.2 with Ventura on Z490 Vision D and wanted to update to Sonoma and read that I had to update OC to 9.3. I followed the directions in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-opencore-0-9-2-0-9-3-differences.325989/ and used CaseySJ's "Sonoma Installation MiniGuide". Everything is working quite well except for waking of my monitor. The system appears to wake (when asleep) but the monitor doesn't wake even if system appears awake. I can turn the monitor off and turn the monitor on, and the display searches for a signal and gives me a picture on HDMI. I also have DP plugged into my GPU. This didn't happen on OC 9.2 and Ventura. Has anyone seen the monitor not wake? I've attached my config.plist if that would help. Don't know what a lot of these SSDT's and Kext's do and the update installed new and updated Kext's. Also note that I'm using a USB.map and not a SSDT-UIAC. Bluetooth and wireless seem to work fine. Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 4
CaseySJ et al. I was running OC 9.2 with Ventura on Z490 Vision D and wanted to update to Sonoma and read that I had to update OC to 9.3. I followed the directions in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-opencore-0-9-2-0-9-3-differences.325989/ and used CaseySJ's "Sonoma Installation MiniGuide". Everything is working quite well except for waking of my monitor. The system appears to wake (when asleep) but the monitor doesn't wake even if system appears awake. I can turn the monitor off and turn the monitor on, and the display searches for a signal and gives me a picture on HDMI. I also have DP plugged into my GPU. This didn't happen on OC 9.2 and Ventura. Has anyone seen the monitor not wake? I've attached my config.plist if that would help. Don't know what a lot of these SSDT's and Kext's do and the update installed new and updated Kext's. Also note that I'm using a USB.map and not a SSDT-UIAC. Bluetooth and wireless seem to work fine. Any thoughts? Thanks
Please see screenshot below for some suggestions:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 12.46.08 PM.png

Please see screenshot below for some suggestions:
Hey CaseySJ. Thanks for taking a look at this. According to the link I enclosed on how to update 9.2 to 9.3 all three of those new kexts were needed by MacOS 14 which is why I downloaded them and turned them on. First one is named CpuFriend.kext. I've turned the off. Still boots and works but didn't change the wake issue. I have both DP connected to GPU and HDMI connect to iGPU connected. I unplugged that GPU but that didn't help either. Note that I'm running BIOS F20 with iGPU enabled. That might have something to do with this (don't know). Turning the monitor off and on does work. Thanks

Hey CaseySJ. Thanks for taking a look at this. According to the link I enclosed on how to update 9.2 to 9.3 all three of those new kexts were needed by MacOS 14 which is why I downloaded them and turned them on. First one is named CpuFriend.kext. I've turned the off. Still boots and works but didn't change the wake issue. I have both DP connected to GPU and HDMI connect to iGPU connected. I unplugged that GPU but that didn't help either. Note that I'm running BIOS F20 with iGPU enabled. That might have something to do with this (don't know). Turning the monitor off and on does work. Thanks
Can you describe your monitor setup?
  • Do you have 3 monitors connected to the Hackintosh:
    • Monitor 1 -> DP Cable -> GPU on Hack
    • Monitor 2 -> DP Cable -> GPU on Hack
    • Monitor 3 -> HDMI Cable -> HDMI on rear IO panel
  • Or do you have 1 monitor connected 3 times to the Hack:
    • Monitor 1 -> HDMI Cable -> HDMI on rear IO panel
And are you saying that the HDMI connection works (monitor wakes up from sleep and displays a picture on HDMI if you power cycle the monitor after wake)?

What is the make and model of each monitor?

What is the make and model of the GPU?

Back