Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Let's do this:
  • Post the IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer (File -> Save As...)
  • Post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI page so I can see which SSDTs are enabled

Here you go @CaseySJ ,
Hope it gives some helpful clues.

thx
J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 6.08.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 6.08.55 PM.png
    109 KB · Views: 8
  • JRs_Z490_IOregExp.ioreg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
Here you go @CaseySJ ,
Hope it gives some helpful clues.
Everything looks fine. Some questions:
  • Is this a pre-owned card, which is why there are no Thunderbolt header cables in the box?
  • If you could connect a Thunderbolt header cable, we would be able to take these steps:
    • Disconnect the jumper cable between the top and middle pins of 5-pin header
    • Enable the card in BIOS
    • In BIOS, set Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot -> Boot Once
  • Alternatives:
    • If you have another Thunderbolt device such as a Thunderbolt dock, does that device hot-plug?
    • We could also flash the card with NVM 33

• Is this a pre-owned card, which is why there are no Thunderbolt header cables in the box?
  • If you could connect a Thunderbolt header cable, we would be able to take these steps:
  • Alternatives:
    • If you have another Thunderbolt device such as a Thunderbolt dock, does that device hot-plug?
Thanks @CaseySJ for the quick response.

Yes this was a pre-owned card. Unfortunately they did not include the header cable.

It appears I "should" be able to connect the card to the MB using several of the pin to pin connectors we used to bridge pin 1 and 3 yes? Essentially building my own header cable? Does this seem feasible?

I'd just the need to verify the pin configuration.

Otherwise, I do have a card flasher that I purchased just in case - if you think I should go that route I'm happy to give it a go.

thanks
John

Thanks @CaseySJ for the quick response.

Yes this was a pre-owned card. Unfortunately they did not include the header cable.

It appears I "should" be able to connect the card to the MB using several of the pin to pin connectors we used to bridge pin 1 and 3 yes? Essentially building my own header cable? Does this seem feasible?

I'd just the need to verify the pin configuration.

Otherwise, I do have a card flasher that I purchased just in case - if you think I should go that route I'm happy to give it a go.

thanks
John
I think the best long term option is to flash the card. That will provide compatibility with a wider assortment of Thunderbolt devices and hot plug should be more reliable.

• Alternatives:
@CaseySJ Thanks Thanks Thanks for your help! You are truly an amazing human. I was able to successfully flash the card - (I followed this video which turned out to be quite the tutorial gem. )

TB shows up as expected and hot swaps normally. I'm so thrilled, that I decided to build one of your vision D TB models as a tribute to your pure genius. Motherboard arrived today and I will commence operations tomorrow.

Bless you brother,

John

I have to say, this machine has been so smooth as a daily driver I've not kept up on what's current. I ordered a new SN850X ssd and plan to clone my Monterey system and attempt to upgrade to Sonoma. Anything I need to be prepared for, save for digging through thousands of pages here? I have an RX6800, i7 10700K, Vision D with working TB, Aquantia 10G card. I have been using 2017 Mac Pro so my iTunes and Apple TV work. I know it's still supported by the latest release, but probably not for much longer.

First post doesn't go as far as Sonoma. So I wanted to ask here first before I get caught up in upgrade hell. I had planned to get a Studio by now, and this Hack was a stopgap. But it's been as good as a real mac and has been plenty powerful for my needs. So I guess I'll keep it going!

I have to say, this machine has been so smooth as a daily driver i've not kept up on what's current. I ordered a new SN850X ssd and plan to clone my Monterey system and attempt to upgrade to Sonoma. Anything I need to be prepared for, save for digging through thousands of pages here? I have an RX6800, i7 10700k, Vision D with working TB, Aquantia 10G card. I have been unsing 2017 mac Pro so my itunes and Apple TV work. I know it's still supported by the latest release, but probably not for much longer.

First post doesn't go as far as Sonoma, so I wanted to ask here first before I get caught up in upgrade hell. I had planned to get a Studio by now and this Hack was a stopgap, but it's been as good as a real mac and has been plenty powerful for my needs so I guess I'll keep it going!
from post 1:

Screenshot 2024-01-14 203708.jpg

I swear I just looked there! My age getting me. Thank you!!

Back