Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

OK so for those of you following @ home..

1- My M.2 Sata Sonoma 14.2.1 partition is corrupt and will not mount. The EFI partition on it is fine.
2- My Carbon Copy Cloner SSD backup (while fairly current) is not bootable.

So I will need to install macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 via Recovery mode (onto a fresh new M.2 Sata that I'm about to go pickup), then migrate data from the backup via Migration Assistant.

If anyone has any tips to expedite this process I'm all ears (and eyes..)

I'm so tempted to swing by the Apple store and grab a "Studio" but I'll tough it out till the M3 Ultra version lands in June..
If you can boot into Sonoma Recovery, try reinstalling macOS onto the internal SSD. This will not erase your data volume, which means all documents and applications will be (should be) intact as long as the data volume itself is not corrupted.

Additionally, to make a bootable backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, please follow this updated guide:

If you can boot into Sonoma Recovery, try reinstalling macOS onto the internal SSD. This will not erase your data volume, which means all documents and applications will be (should be) intact as long as the data volume itself is not corrupted.

Additionally, to make a bootable backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, please follow this updated guide:
CaseySJ,

Thanks for your continued support. My Hack is back up and running w/ a fresh new 1TB M.2 SSD. I ended up using Migration Assistant to restore from a Time Machine backup I had going and after a hiccup or two it's as if the disaster never happened. I took a quick look at the process for creating a bootable backup (not easy...) and once I catch my breath here I'll get a bootable clone going.

You're the best,

John

Fortunately it's not necessary to connect the GC-Titan Ridge via a Thunderbolt header cable. The cable is primarily used to power up the card, but we can do that by bridging the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header with a female/female breadboard cable.

Alas, most places sell these cables in bundles of 40 or more. Here's one from Amazon:

Thanks @CaseySJ , I'm making small steps.. I was able to get the Titan Ridge card to show up under system info after bridging the 3 and 5 pin on cards jumper.

(I have not flashed this card yet).

I ran IO regestry explorer, and it seems the card is detected on the same PCIO bus you mentioned for the Vision D build. (saved file attached)

However, when I attempted to use the online hackindrom tool instructions I saw this "If you see No drivers are loaded, then this guide does not apply."

On my machine, i see "no drivers are installed".
What would you recommend I try next?

thanks in advance,
John

Attachments

• Johns_z490 AORUS (Thunderbolt).ioreg
    5.3 MB · Views: 9

However, when I attempted to use the online hackindrom tool instructions I saw this "If you see No drivers are loaded, then this guide does not apply."

On my machine, i see "no drivers are installed".
What would you recommend I try next?
We can (and should) still use HackinDROM to generate the SSDT. It will enable hot plug on both (a) flashed and (b) un-flashed cards.

We can (and should) still use HackinDROM to generate the SSDT. It will enable hot plug on both (a) flashed and (b) un-flashed cards.

Thanks @CaseySJ

With your help, I am a step closer. I now am able to cold boot with my TB test drive inserted in the Titan Ridge Card and it will appear on the desktop! However it is still not Hot swappable.

According to IO Registry explorer (attached screenshot), my TB card occupies the PCI0 - RP05 address and I was able to confirm the SSDT-TB3HP includes these settings. I used the hackinDROM to download the file based on my card type. The SSDT shows up in my config.plist as well as in OC Auxilary Tools.

Is there anything else I am missing?
As always, I appreciate your help.
John

Attachments

• IORegistry_Screenshot.png
    IORegistry_Screenshot.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 7
... I now am able to cold boot with my TB test drive inserted in the Titan Ridge Card and it will appear on the desktop! However it is still not Hot swappable.

What is the make and model of the test drive?

Hi @CaseySJ

I'm using this:

Inland QN322 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 M.2​

Oops, I should have been more specific: What is the make/model of the enclosure in which this SSD is installed?

No worries @CaseySJ - It's a Sabrent EC-T3NS

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 Certified M.2 NVMe SSD​

Let's do this:
  • Post the IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer (File -> Save As...)
  • Post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI page so I can see which SSDTs are enabled

Back