Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Using latest Sonoma 14.2.1
Yes AppleVTD is enable
Both get self-assigned IP
I wonder if this is a DHCP and/or Router issue:
  • If the two Ethernet ports in System Settings -> Network are (a) not using DHCP or (b) using a manually-specified DHCP IP-address that may not be reachable, then we can get self-assigned IPs
  • If the router does not have DHCP enabled then this issue can occur
Firewall and/or anti-virus software could also be a cause.

I wonder if this is a DHCP and/or Router issue:
  • If the two Ethernet ports in System Settings -> Network are (a) not using DHCP or (b) using a manually-specified DHCP IP-address that may not be reachable, then we can get self-assigned IPs
  • If the router does not have DHCP enabled then this issue can occur
Firewall and/or anti-virus software could also be a cause.
Thank you Casey, will try that out. It worked well in Ventura, had issue after update to Sonoma

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D has built-in Thunderbolt whereas the AORUS Ultra Z490 has Thunderbolt headers for an add-in-card. The only card I recommend is Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge. After installing the card and connecting it to one of the headers on motherboard, we'll need to enter BIOS and enable Thunderbolt (including GPIO3 Force Pwr if it's available).

Then we need to install a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT and its companion SSDT-DTPG. The hot-plug SSDT that accompanies the EFI Folder for this build is configured for PCI0.RP05, which is the location of the on-board Thunderbolt controller. We'll need to change all such references to the location of your add-in-card. The location can be determined by running IORegistryExplorer after the card is installed.

Remember to shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before installing or removing any component on the motherboard.
Hi @CaseySJ , I am finally getting around to installing my Tian Ridge TB Card. Upon opening the box, it appears this card does not come with the 5 pin / 3 pin header MB connector cable. (It did come with a standard USB style connector) Do I need the 5/3 TB motherboard cable to make things work? Based on a quick search, this cable does not seem to be easily found. However I think I could build my own by combinine single pin mini cables. Thanks for you input. -John

Hi @CaseySJ , I am finally getting around to installing my Tian Ridge TB Card. Upon opening the box, it appears this card does not come with the 5 pin / 3 pin header MB connector cable. (It did come with a standard USB style connector) Do I need the 5/3 TB motherboard cable to make things work? Based on a quick search, this cable does not seem to be easily found. However I think I could build my own by combinine single pin mini cables. Thanks for you input. -John
Fortunately it's not necessary to connect the GC-Titan Ridge via a Thunderbolt header cable. The cable is primarily used to power up the card, but we can do that by bridging the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header with a female/female breadboard cable.

Alas, most places sell these cables in bundles of 40 or more. Here's one from Amazon:

Suddenly when I boot my machine Opencore 0.9.7 picker doesn't show my Sonoma Install, just the Windows install.
I tried booting the machine with my USB backup drive plugged in and get the same symptoms the OSX install isn't showing up.
I assumed the BIOS setting must be trashed so I loaded "Optimized Defaults" then rebooted, loaded my trusted Gigabyte Z490 Hackintosh profile and still no OSX in the OC picker.
What has me stumped is even my external backup doesn't boot. Checked that drive on my M1 Macbook and the EFI and Sonoma partitions are present and right as rain.

I was updating Windows and somehow caused this issue.
Pulling my hair out over here, not sure what else to try..

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Please & Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7982.JPG
    IMG_7982.JPG
    874.2 KB · Views: 14
Suddenly when I boot my machine Opencore 0.9.7 picker doesn't show my Sonoma Install, just the Windows install.
I tried booting the machine with my USB backup drive plugged in and get the same symptoms the OSX install isn't showing up.
I assumed the BIOS setting must be trashed so I loaded "Optimized Defaults" then rebooted, loaded my trusted Gigabyte Z490 Hackintosh profile and still no OSX in the OC picker.
What has me stumped is even my external backup doesn't boot. Checked that drive on my M1 Macbook and the EFI and Sonoma partitions are present and right as rain.

I was updating Windows and somehow caused this issue.
Pulling my hair out over here, not sure what else to try..

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Please & Thanks.
Have you tried pressing F12 and booting from the EFI of the external drive? If your OC configuration on your internal drive has been corrupted by a Windows update, your external drive still wouldn’t show up if using your normal EFI partition to boot.

Have you tried pressing F12 and booting from the EFI of the external drive? If your OC configuration on your internal drive has been corrupted by a Windows update, your external drive still wouldn’t show up if using your normal EFI partition to boot.
Yes F12 and booting from the backup EFI into the backup Sonoma was tried many times. That is why I'm stumped. It shows the same symptoms as the internal drive, no OSX in picker..

Yes F12 and booting from the backup EFI into the backup Sonoma was tried many times. That is why I'm stumped. It shows the same symptoms as the internal drive, no OSX in picker..
Some questions:
  • Is the backup SSD connected via an external USB enclosure? Or is the backup SSD installed into one of the M.2 slots?
  • Does the internal macOS SSD appear in BIOS?
  • If you disconnect the Windows drive, what boot options appear in OpenCore when booting from either the internal SSD or the backup SSD?

Some questions:
  • Is the backup SSD connected via an external USB enclosure? Or is the backup SSD installed into one of the M.2 slots?
  • Does the internal macOS SSD appear in BIOS?
  • If you disconnect the Windows drive, what boot options appear in OpenCore when booting from either the internal SSD or the backup SSD?
CaseySJ;

Tried booting the backup SSD (made with current CarbonCopyCloner) on Thunderbolt 3 & USB3 the picker screen is pictured above.

Yes the internal M.2 Sata macOS drive apperars in BIOS, and the EFI seems intact. (I can boot into Windows that way)

I'm about to pull the boot M.2 drive and put it in an enclosure to see if I can't determine what's wrong.
I'll try pulling the Windows drive and booting before I pull the M.2

Read about an issue where Sonoma 14.2.1 will not boot from a CCC backup, praying that's not what is going on here..

CaseySJ;

Tried booting the backup SSD (made with current CarbonCopyCloner) on Thunderbolt 3 & USB3 the picker screen is pictured above.

Yes the internal M.2 Sata macOS drive apperars in BIOS, and the EFI seems intact. (I can boot into Windows that way)

I'm about to pull the boot M.2 drive and put it in an enclosure to see if I can't determine what's wrong.
I'll try pulling the Windows drive and booting before I pull the M.2

Read about an issue where Sonoma 14.2.1 will not boot from a CCC backup, praying that's not what is going on here..
OK so for those of you following @ home..

1- My M.2 Sata Sonoma 14.2.1 partition is corrupt and will not mount. The EFI partition on it is fine.
2- My Carbon Copy Cloner SSD backup (while fairly current) is not bootable.

So I will need to install macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 via Recovery mode (onto a fresh new M.2 Sata that I'm about to go pickup), then migrate data from the backup via Migration Assistant.

If anyone has any tips to expedite this process I'm all ears (and eyes..)

I'm so tempted to swing by the Apple store and grab a "Studio" but I'll tough it out till the M3 Ultra version lands in June..

Back