Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Heya, been looking around to find some answers but having no luck. On Ventura my video pauses every few seconds pretty much everywhere Youtube, Quicktime...Photos app. System was running fine on Big Sur but a fresh install of Ventura is a bit wonky and I'm using newest versions Ventura 13.6.3 Hackendrom 2.1.9 and OC 0.9.7. The issue was present in earlier versions of Ventura.

Last edited:
Heya, been looking around to find some answers but having no luck. On Ventura my video pauses every few seconds pretty much everywhere Youtube, Quicktime...Photos app. System was running fine on Big Sur but a fresh install of Ventura is a bit wonky and I'm using newest versions Ventura 13.6.3 Hackendrom 2.1.9 and OC 0.9.7. The issue was present in earlier versions of Ventura.
First thought that comes to mind is to run Activity Monitor while playing a video to see if there’s any unusual CPU activity (sort by CPU % column) being caused by any suspicious application.

** UPDATE **

EFIClone.sh in my GitHub repository is now compatible with SuperDuper! 3.8. Please read the entire post below before using.

This script is used by both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! to automatically clone source EFI partition to destination EFI partition. Its use is optional.

Last edited:
my video pauses every few seconds pretty much everywhere Youtube, Quicktime...Photos app. System was running fine on Big Sur but a fresh install of Ventura is a bit wonky.

@supaMac,

If you are using a iMac SMBIOS (not pro) then a good test to perform would be install and run Intel Power Gadget, then run a few youtube video tests, if your system is configured correctly then you should see a nice steady green trace in Power Gadget that shows the utilisation of the IGPU which is primarily used for H264, H265, Jepg decode on MacOS.

If there is a problem with your system then the green trace will either be 'glitchy' or a flat-line.

Unfortunately Intel have recently stopped supporting Power Gadget (probably thanks to Apple switching to ARM) but you can still download it from 3rd part sites such as :-

Version 3.7 was the last version released by Intel.

Cheers
Jay

It worked fine for mine on Z490 Vision D with a Broadcom wifi Bluetooth card -

BCM94360
Thank you for your feedback.
Does the AirDrop work well on Sonoma?

BIRD is running around 52% which from what I read is iCloud sync services. Everything else is 7% or lower which is quite acceptable. I'm going through all my iCloud folders and doing a force sync of individual items that still have a cloud beside them and see if I can clear up the iCloud sync issue and hopefully the high CPU, but not feeling overly confident Im barking up the right tree.

Update.
I remembered that on restart videos play perfectly for some time. I stopped working on the iCloud files and did a restart.BIRD still running at 56% videos playing fine, so I don't believe the two are related.

Last edited:
Sonoma 14.2.1
After system shoot down the USB power still on, I can’t figure out why, I used the same EFI that's always use.
on what should I pay attention?

Here is the Bios USB as usual and kext's:

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Pic01 .png
    Pic01 .png
    875.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi @CaseySJ. Thanks for your information.

Would you say installing thunderbolt on a GB aorus ultra z490 is a similar process to this guide?
or is there an alternate guide to follow?

I have purchased some recommended GB and Asus Titan Ridge PCIe cards to install soon, but am looking for the best method to follow before diving in.

Hi @CaseySJ. Thanks for your information.

Would you say installing thunderbolt on a GB aorus ultra z490 is a similar process to this guide?
or is there an alternate guide to follow?

I have purchased some recommended GB and Asus Titan Ridge PCIe cards to install soon, but am looking for the best method to follow before diving in.
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D has built-in Thunderbolt whereas the AORUS Ultra Z490 has Thunderbolt headers for an add-in-card. The only card I recommend is Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge. After installing the card and connecting it to one of the headers on motherboard, we'll need to enter BIOS and enable Thunderbolt (including GPIO3 Force Pwr if it's available).

Then we need to install a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT and its companion SSDT-DTPG. The hot-plug SSDT that accompanies the EFI Folder for this build is configured for PCI0.RP05, which is the location of the on-board Thunderbolt controller. We'll need to change all such references to the location of your add-in-card. The location can be determined by running IORegistryExplorer after the card is installed.

Remember to shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before installing or removing any component on the motherboard.

Back