Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

There may be a compatibility problem between USB4 and NVM 33/50 firmware that comes on Gigabyte Z390 and Z490 boards. I haven't had any first hand experience with USB4 devices, but the symptoms you're seeing in Windows and Linux would suggest the need for a Titan Ridge firmware update.

I'm not sure if a newer Titan Ridge firmware has been posted by Gigabyte, but if it has, it can be installed from Windows without the need for an external flasher.

Would I have to update the entire BIOS to update the Titan Ridge firmware? I am currently on BIOS version F5

Would I have to update the entire BIOS to update the Titan Ridge firmware? I am currently on BIOS version F5
Gigabyte has made Thunderbolt firmware (not driver) updates in the past, but on a very limited basis. These updates are not BIOS updates. Instead, they just update the firmware of the on-board Titan Ridge controller.

Question for All:
  • Have you tried connecting any USB4 devices to the Thunderbolt ports of your Z490 Vision D with a Thunderbolt cable?
  • If so, has the device connected and worked? If yes, what make/model?

Gigabyte has made Thunderbolt firmware (not driver) updates in the past, but on a very limited basis. These updates are not BIOS updates. Instead, they just update the firmware of the on-board Titan Ridge controller.
I downloaded the most recent Thunderbolt firmware from the Gigabyte site for this motherboard and installed it via Windows. Not sure it was really an update as it was dated 2021. Didn't change anything . This enclosure (which uses the ASM2464PD chip) not recognized when connected to the Vision D Thunderbolt ports either on Windows or macOS. Again, the USB-A and USB-C ports work fine. Really a shame as I really like this enclosure. Will probably keep it to use with my MacBook Air. I am still waiting for that Orico enclosure which was supposed to arrive today but didn't. (Amazon ain't what they used to be). Will provide an update when it arrives.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Hi there, it might not be the right place for this post but I was just wondering guys had any issue using the Migrating Assistant from a hackintosh to a real Mac? I am starting to think that given the lifespan of the Intel hacks, the various hacks to make the system work, it might be time to invest in a real Mac. I am thinking on the Mac Studio M2 Ultra, and I was wondering if there would be an issue using the migrating assistant. Am I right in saying that once the Mac Studio is set up it would be just a matter of connecting my system SDD disk via an external enclosure to a USB port then launching the assistant? I have quite a lot of legitimate applications and would like to avoid reinstalling all of them, including entering the license keys, etc. Thanks.

@CaseySJ Hi there, it might not be the right place for this post but I was just wondering guys had any issue using the Migrating Assistant from a hackintosh to a real Mac? I am starting to think that given the lifespan of the Intel hacks, the various hacks to make the system work, it might be time to invest in a real Mac. I am thinking on the Mac Studio M2 Ultra, and I was wondering if there would be an issue using the migrating assistant. Am I right in saying that once the Mac Studio is set up it would be just a matter of connecting my system SDD disk via an external enclosure to a USB port then launching the assistant? I have quite a lot of legitimate applications and would like to avoid reinstalling all of them, including entering the license keys, etc. Thanks.
Although Migration Assistant works across different versions of macOS, the most reliable use is across the same or very recent version of macOS.

It can certainly be used between Hackintosh and a real Mac.

Although certainly no expert I do have some experience with this. The only way I have used Migration Assistant is via a Time Machine backup. When my son graduated from high school, we migrated from a Hack I made for him to a MackBook Pro that he took with him to college. The results were mixed. While all of his documents and music files were safely restored, several of the programs he used to produce and edit music were not. This is where individual circumstances will vary. Programs that are attached to licenses can be especially tricky. You can't just assume that the license will transfer as most of these licenses are usually tied to the hardware of a specific system. Some vendors will allow you to reassign hardware but not all. There is also the matter of transition from an Intel-based system (which most of our Hacks are) to an Apple silicone one. While not a problem for the better known mainstream programs, my son discovered that one of his older more obscure programs had not been updated to work with Apple's new processors. When it was all said and done, I am not sure that using migration assistant really saved me much time and aggravation. The documents and files that would have been easy to transfer by manual means were easily migrated but the more difficult programs and apps were not. Other data like contacts and such can easily be restored via iCloud.

Last edited:
I have used Migration Assistant successfully with my hackintosh to my M1 Mac Studio. Don't check the Other Files and Folders" check box when using Migration Assistant.

I've used Migration Assistant going back and forth between Hacks and Macs for at least 10 years. Works fine.

But(big, in my case):
Programs that are attached to licenses can be especially tricky. You can't just assume that the license will transfer as most of these licenses are usually tied to the hardware of a specific system. Some vendors will allow you to reassign hardware but not all. There is also the matter of transition from an Intel-based system (which most of our Hacks are) to an Apple silicone one. While not a problem for the better known mainstream programs, my son discovered that one of his older more obscure programs had not been updated to work with Apple's new processors.

Lots of DAW/music related software suffers from hardware tied licenses, unfortunately.

Hi everyone, I've been working flawlessly with the Hackintosh I built four years ago, thanks to the wonderful guide that CaseySJ shared here with us. Today I've upgraded my i7 10700K Intel processor to an i9 10900K, and it's working just fine; I'm running Ventura 13.6.1 with the latest OpenCore. Is there anything I must change, any additional steps, regarding EFI, OpenCore, boot args, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've been working flawlessly with the Hackintosh I built four years ago, thanks to the wonderful guide that CaseySJ shared here with us. Today I've upgraded my i7 10700K Intel processor to an i9 10900K, and it's working just fine; I'm running Ventura 13.6.1 with the latest OpenCore. Is there anything I must change, any additional steps, regarding EFI, OpenCore, boot args, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Hello @Trepamuros,

Fortunately, no changes are necessary in this case because it’s an upgrade from one 10th Gen processor to another.

Back