Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi there,

I have updated to Ventura 13.6.1. Everything went perfectly well with the update process. No question about that. Opencore is admirable on that point.

However I noticed then some graphical issues in Cubase 12.0.70 (the latest version)... no glitches as it has been reported with Sonoma (albeit apparently resolved with the 14.1 release) but crashes in libgraphics2d, which seem to impact the core audio engine and pause the playback for 30 seconds here and there (every 5 minutes in average), which is pretty irritating. I am pretty sure that it is due to the system update, as I did not change/update anything else in the meantime, which could have explained this issue. The same version of Cubase was running fine on the same project hours long beforehand.

I wanted to report the issue, but my post is actually about another "annoyance". As always (and as recommended by the community) I have backed up the content of my system disk to an external hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner and the help of a post operation script, which additionally clones the EFI partition. Fortunately I almost did not need to use the external USB hard drive to restore from a malfunctioning system update... but I do remember that I did it once without issues. This time though, due to the problems I stumble upon in Cubase, I would have liked to downgrade to 13.6.0 (which was actually running fine), therefore I tried to boot on my external hard drive (USB). The problem here is not that its EFI partition was not recognised by OpenCore, this part of the process works fine. The problem is that as soon as I select my USB hard drive partition on OpenCore, I come to a black screen (no information / error messages are displayed even when activating the verbose mode in the boot args). Once again, back in time (not so long ago) it worked fine... how come it doesn't work anymore? Has anyone an idea? I attached my EFI in the hope that someone awesome could help me with this. :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Update: I also attached a call stack generated by the system after another crash in Cubase. It looks like a conflict between the AMD driver and libgraphics2d.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Callstack.zip
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hey all, I just wanted to say "thank you" to this community. For the last 11 years, my primary Mac has been a Hackintosh (I built two -- one with a 3770K, and then another with a 10700K) to balance price and performance in a manner that I liked. And this thread in particular for the Z490 Vision D board has been absolutely fantastic - I've had lots of great help here and I hopefully helped a couple people too.

That said, I finally bit the bullet and moved to an Apple Silicon lifestyle with a Mac Studio once they were available with good storage configurations in the Refurb store. When stacked with my U.S. military veteran discount, that got the price/performance ratio way down and I didn't have to try and figure out how to deal with WiFi/Bluetooth on my hack with Sonoma.

So again -- a huge thank you to everyone that helped make OpenCore and its predecessor technologies work, and to those who explained it. Even for a pretty technical guy, the people that invested time in testing, building guides, and especially folks like @CaseySJ on this absolute MONSTER of a thread made my life so much easier. It was about the most "it just works" way I could imagine to run a Hackintosh, which is why I prefer macOS in the first place.

Happy Hackintoshing!

@mickelsn,

I also have an Apple Silicon product, namely the 2021 14” MacBook Pro. I bought that because I have never hacked a laptop and didn’t want to buy any existing PC laptop. Unlike PC desktops that we can assemble from our own set of component choices, laptops come pre-built and you either take them or leave them.

So I always left them...

But Apple’s own laptops are the standard by which all other laptops are judged so why not just buy the best?

I am very happy with the Apple Silicon MBP, but I use my desktop hacks far more often. These DIY systems are still a source of pride. But when the time comes to abandon ship and jump completely aboard the Apple Silicon bandwagon, it won’t be so bad. We’ll find other things to tinker with :)

Last edited:
Hi,

So, regarding the issue with my external hard drive, which could not boot after the OpenCore picker, I did some additional research (which I should have done before my previous post actually, I apologise for that...) and ended up finding out that the "issue" came from Carbon Copy Cloner (I use the latest version 6.1.8), which I have always used to back up my system drive up to now.

Apparently since Big Sur and that new feature introduced with this release, it seems not to be that easy anymore for CCC to create a bootable partition while still supporting their incremental update feature and keeping a trace of the operation history. So backing up a bootable system partition would not create a bootable copy partition anymore on the destination drive, unless (!!) you enable a specific option for it while right clicking on the destination drive and selecting the "legacy boot loader assistant" (see attached screenshot, which is in French o_O, but it might be helpful anyway). When you enable this option, CCC will warn you that it won't be able to do incremental updates anymore on the backup drive and will require to clean it up totally before starting. That's a pity but I can testify that it works well! :thumbup: I can finally boot on my USB external drive.

I also heard that SuperDuper! (which is a CCC clone :p) can make bootable backups while still maintaining the incremental update feature (if you buy the full version). That's tempting... but as I already bought a license for CCC back then, I may stick with this software for now.

Regarding the issues I had with Cubase after the Ventura update (13.6.1), well that's weird but it ended up well. The problem that I described was really persistent the whole day long when I restarted after the update. Plus, after hanging around on the Cubase forum, I also found some people who seemed to share the same issue... that confirmed somehow that there was something real lurking around. However then, after a cold boot (I powered off my computer the whole night long), the issue vanished and have not occurred since then :confused: after a week of testing.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-11-03 à 13.56.21.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-11-03 à 13.56.21.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

So, regarding the issue with my external hard drive, which could not boot after the OpenCore picker, I did some additional research (which I should have done before my previous post actually, I apologise for that...) and ended up finding out that the "issue" came from Carbon Copy Cloner (I use the latest version 6.1.8), which I have always used to back up my system drive up to now.

Apparently since Big Sur and that new feature introduced with this release, it seems not to be that easy anymore for CCC to create a bootable partition while still supporting their incremental update feature and keeping a trace of the operation history. So backing up a bootable system partition would not create a bootable copy partition anymore on the destination drive, unless (!!) you enable a specific option for it while right clicking on the destination drive and selecting the "legacy boot loader assistant" (see attached screenshot, which is in French o_O, but it might be helpful anyway). When you enable this option, CCC will warn you that it won't be able to do incremental updates anymore on the backup drive and will require to clean it up totally before starting. That's a pity but I can testify that it works well! :thumbup: I can finally boot on my USB external drive.

I also heard that SuperDuper! (which is a CCC clone :p) can make bootable backups while still maintaining the incremental update feature (if you buy the full version). That's tempting... but as I already bought a license for CCC back then, I may stick with this software for now.

Regarding the issues I had with Cubase after the Ventura update (13.6.1), well that's weird but it ended up well. The problem that I described was really persistent the whole day long when I restarted after the update. Plus, after hanging around on the Cubase forum, I also found some people who seemed to share the same issue... that confirmed somehow that there was something real lurking around. However then, after a cold boot (I powered off my computer the whole night long), the issue vanished and have not occurred since then :confused: after a week of testing.
I have use SuperDuper for almost 2 decades and it has never failed on me. Highly recommended.

The latest instructions for making bootable backups with CCC are located here:

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 8.51.24 AM.png

I'm was looking for a Thunderbolt NVMe enclosure and bought this one from Amazon:

Unfortunately, it does not not seem to be recognized when connected to the Thunderbolt ports of my hack which is a Vision D using @CaseySJ's EFI files. I've tried hot plug and pre-boot connections. I am running Ventura 13.6 with OC 0.9.5. I've attached a screenshot of my IORegistry which seems to confirm that my Thunderbolt ports are recognized. I have not flashed the Thunderbolt firmware chip. I also do not know what chip this enclosure is using but am actively trying to ascertain this info. Any suggestions? BTW, this enclosure is recognized and works well on my MacBook Air M1 laptop which is running the exact same macOS.

Update: After taking it apart I have determined that this enclosure uses an ASMedia ASM2464PD chip.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 5.22.16 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 5.22.16 PM.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I'm was looking for a Thunderbolt NVMe enclosure and bought this one from Amazon:

Unfortunately, it does not not seem to be recognized when connected to the Thunderbolt ports of my hack which is a Vision D using @CaseySJ's EFI files. I've tried hot plug and pre-boot connections. I am running Ventura 13.6 with OC 0.9.5. I've attached a screenshot of my IORegistry which seems to confirm that my Thunderbolt ports are recognized. I have not flashed the Thunderbolt firmware chip. I also do not know what chip this enclosure is using but am actively trying to ascertain this info. Any suggestions? BTW, this enclosure is recognized and works well on my MacBook Air M1 laptop which is running the exact same macOS.

Update: After taking it apart I have determined that this enclosure uses an ASMedia ASM2464PD chip.
The screenshot shows that the NVMe enclosure is not connected to either of the two Thunderbolt ports (DSB1 and DSB4). Suggestions:
  • Connect the enclosure before booting macOS. Does it show up on either DSB1 or DSB4?
  • In BIOS, check Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support and change it to Boot Once
    • Save BIOS settings and boot macOS
    • Does enclosure show up on DSB1 or DSB4?
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt cable?
    • It will have a lightning logo on each end

The screenshot shows that the NVMe enclosure is not connected to either of the two Thunderbolt ports (DSB1 and DSB4). Suggestions:
  • Connect the enclosure before booting macOS. Does it show up on either DSB1 or DSB4?
  • In BIOS, check Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support and change it to Boot Once
    • Save BIOS settings and boot macOS
    • Does enclosure show up on DSB1 or DSB4?
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt cable?
    • It will have a lightning logo on each end
  • I tried connecting the enclosure before booting and it still does not show up in either Thunderbolt ports
  • I made the change in the BIOS you suggested, Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support > Boot Once, without success.
  • I am using the cable which came with the enclosure which is labeled as USB4. Using the same cable, the enclosure is recognized and works well on my MacBook Air M1. It seems to be recognized as a Thunderbolt/USB4 device. I am attaching a screenshot of my MacBook Air system report.
  • BTW, the enclosure is recognized and works well on the Vision D USB-A and USB-C ports. It just isn't recognized at all on the Thunderbolt ports.
  • I don't have any other Thunderbolt devices to test at the moment but I have ordered another enclosure (Orico) which should arrive later today. I believe this uses a different chip.

• Update: I think I may have a hardware or BIOS problem with the Thunderbolt ports themselves as this enclosure is not recognized using either Windows 10 or Ubuntu. I am using the BIOS settings recommended by this build. Not sure if they should be changed for a different OS. It is interesting that my Vision D Thunderbolt ports are recognized by IORegistry running Ventura. Not sure how to explore this under Windows 10 or Ubuntu.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 9.55.35 AM.JPG
    Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 9.55.35 AM.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
  • Update: I think I may have a hardware or BIOS problem with the Thunderbolt ports themselves as this enclosure is not recognized using either Windows 10 or Ubuntu. I am using the BIOS settings recommended by this build. Not sure if they should be changed for a different OS. It is interesting that my Vision D Thunderbolt ports are recognized by IORegistry running Ventura. Not sure how to explore this under Windows 10 or Ubuntu.
There may be a compatibility problem between USB4 and NVM 33/50 firmware that comes on Gigabyte Z390 and Z490 boards. I haven't had any first hand experience with USB4 devices, but the symptoms you're seeing in Windows and Linux would suggest the need for a Titan Ridge firmware update.

I'm not sure if a newer Titan Ridge firmware has been posted by Gigabyte, but if it has, it can be installed from Windows without the need for an external flasher.

Back