Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ/All here... 3 years and this build is still running fine for me except... Bluetooth goes off sometimes. (The icon is there but disabled. if I restart the m/c, it starts working again for random hours.) This started a month back. I have new FENVI T919 with me. Not sure, but I don't think the simple swap will work (or is there any trick?). Do I need to reinstall/rebuild i.e. start from step 1 of the installation. I don't want to loose many apps or re-do/re-install all my important apps again, from last 3 years. Any idea, thoughts, way?
Hello @hackerno1

Some questions:
  • Are you running Ventura?
  • Is Windows installed on the same computer?
  • Which USB port map SSDT are you using? A screenshot of OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI will provide this info

Hello @hackerno1

Some questions:
  • Are you running Ventura?
  • Is Windows installed on the same computer?
  • Which USB port map SSDT are you using? A screenshot of OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI will provide this info
#1 No. It is still Catalina 10.15.7
#2 No
#3 Below is from config.plist on my personal backup disk which must be on the EFI partition as well

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 5.46.00 PM.png

What do you mean by "wait until macOs pops up a notification"? I never get a notification. I only know that there is an update via this forum or if I go to the settings and force a SW update check.
If your software update settings are as shown below, then you should get a notification when an update is ready to be installed:
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 3.52.49 PM.png

#1 No. It is still Catalina 10.15.7
#2 No
#3 Below is from config.plist on my personal backup disk which must be on the EFI partition as well

View attachment 571391
I'm not aware of anything specific that will cause Bluetooth to occasionally disable itself. Perhaps this can happen after repeated sleep/wake cycles.

If the problem started about a month ago, can you recall anything that changed such as installation of a Catalina security update?

If you're using OpenCore 0.6.2, consider updating to latest 0.9.2 using this mini-guide:
However, update to 0.9.2 on a USB flash disk so that your internal EFI partition is not affected. Then boot from the USB flash disk by pressing F12 at the Gigabyte Splash Screen and selecting the USB flash drive.

I'm not aware of anything specific that will cause Bluetooth to occasionally disable itself. Perhaps this can happen after repeated sleep/wake cycles.

If the problem started about a month ago, can you recall anything that changed such as installation of a Catalina security update?

If you're using OpenCore 0.6.2, consider updating to latest 0.9.2 using this mini-guide:
However, update to 0.9.2 on a USB flash disk so that your internal EFI partition is not affected. Then boot from the USB flash disk by pressing F12 at the Gigabyte Splash Screen and selecting the USB flash drive.
Bluetooth getting disabled is random. Sometimes I see it disabled, so I shutdown the desktop and then start again, bluetooth works fine (apple mouse 2 and logitech w/l keyboard). But again after 1, 4 or random hours it will turn disabled. Sometimes it works fine for a day even.

So I believe the T-919 has gone bad/weak, b/c I never generally never shutdown my system. And so I bought same FENVI T919 again.

I will update Opencore. And no, I didn't do anything special in last 3-4 months e.g. security patch of anything (not even a new app installations). Everything related to bluetooth works fine, when it is not disabled.

So the question is, do I need to repeat installation with the new T919 i.e. fresh installation? and re-do all apps.

Last edited:
If your software update settings are as shown below, then you should get a notification when an update is ready to be installed:
View attachment 571393
@CaseySJ Hi there, I have had these options enabled for ages for it stopped working on Ventura. Hence I never get a notification. If I download and install 13.5.2 via the App store, is it going to basically erase the disk and reinstall 13.5.2 from scratch, meaning I'll lose all my data?

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Hi there, I have had these options enabled for ages for it stopped working on Ventura. Hence I never get a notification. If I download and install 13.5.2 via the App store, is it going to basically erase the disk and reinstall 13.5.2 from scratch, meaning I'll lose all my data?
If you download the full installer, it will work properly. It will just upgrade the system without erasing any of your data.

So the question is, do I need to repeat installation with the new T919 i.e. fresh installation? and re-do all apps.
No, you do not need to do a fresh installation. You can just replace the Fenvi card and see if that helps. If that does not work either, then consider installing a fresh copy of Catalina on a spare disk or new APFS volume.

Do you have the SecureBootModel set to Default?

As a workaround, you can also try to use RestrictEvents.kext with revpatch=sbvmm boot-arg.
Yep it is set to default. What does the restrictevent.kext and the boot arg do? I am toss between trying the boot arg or the full installer. Or simply wait for Sonoma.

Back