Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

You know what? :)
You are just amazing !!!Just tick the box to enable the kext, and it works...
Been checking around for ages, just forgot to triple check this one.
Thanks so much...
I have had the same issue for months. Thought I had a dead 2.5gbit port. Fixed mine too. Thank you so much. Amazing!

Hello Casey, Apologies in advance for the novel.

Hoping someone can help me at this point I'm banging my head against the wall.
After following the guide, I was easily able to get everything working that should be working, except for Thunderbolt. Originally I was in bios F7c, which I saw can have problems so I flashed to Bios F21 which I saw is working for some people, although I only realized after the fact it is not recommended yet. So I downgraded to Bios F5, still no luck.

I'm starting to think my board's thunderbolt ports are defective, I initially purchased it "used" on Amazon back in 2021 when they were all out of new vision D's. It was stuck in an endless boot cycle when I first built it, but I was able to flash the Bios with an external USB and get it to post, so I figured that's why it may fave been returned. Then I had put this machine away till now cause of some busy life obligations and was confident I had a working motherboard.

One thing I noticed is that my thunderbolt bus in system report was showing "firmware unknown"(see screenshot) immediately after my initial install, I thought this box was supposed to be empty. (so wondering if it had been flashed previously by original owner, did they break TB possibly? but what are the odds I got a failed hackintosh'd board returned to amazon? HA)

I've tested my OWC TB 3 dock, lynx aurora 16 with LT-TB2 slot through apple TB3 adapter, and UAD Apollo Twin with the same adapter to no avail. Also noticed sometimes if I unplug the OWC dock I get a little notification saying some thing like "USB Accessories disabled, remove device using too much power to enable accessories"

After reading everything I could I'm still at a loss.

Eventually I attempted to flash the controller hoping it might help. I wasn't sure if it was working as my terminal skill isn't quite up to par for this type of thing. However eventually it did recognize the chip, and I followed the directions to a T. After installing the new firmware it gave a warning something like "chip content is identical to the requested image" although it did say process complete or something similar at the end. So ultimately not sure what's going on which is a common theme for me in this space. Forgot to screen shot the terminal verbose unfortunately.

After powering it back on I'm basically still in the same boat, scratching my head.
Any advice for diagnosing this scenario? Still hopeful that it's something stupid on my part. In this case would using a PCIe controller be an option? I'd rather not spend the dough if I don't have to.

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Attachments

• config-noserial.plist
    32.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 7.54.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 7.54.53 PM.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 7.59.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 7.59.28 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 8.19.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 8.19.29 PM.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 8.20.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 8.20.03 PM.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 8.39.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 8.39.58 PM.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hello @victoroni,

Fortunately, your system seems mostly normal. Some comments and suggestions:
  • Thunderbolt has been flashed because Thunderbolt Bus is clearly active
  • Firmware version seems to be invalid
  • When you attached the SOIC clip and tried to program the Flash ROM chip, did you happen to dump the existing firmware into a file?
    • If so, please compress and post that file
  • Are you saying that:
    • Thunderbolt devices do not work when connected and powered up before system boots?
    • Thunderbolt devices do not hot plug?

@CaseySJ Hoping someone can help me. My system was sort of stable until Ventura recent updates especially the sleep/wake. I used to be able to leave the system on after after a preset time it would go to sleep and would wake up only if I decided to. It would eventually wake up for maintenance for 30s then go back to sleep and stay asleep. For the past few months now the system does not go to sleep after a preset time. The display will go black but the system stays on. I ran the pmset -g log command to try to isolate the culprit but it is always the same tthing: darkwake to full awake due to RTC/HID activity type of message. But I can't find anything on the net. I did a check of the config plist and noticed that the GPRW.aml was unticked (it was before but somehow hackdrom tool tends to untick it). So I ticked it back and was sure that it woudl fix the issue since I need this aml on my syste, but it did not (the GPRW patch is enabled). I even compared an old config.plist prior to using hackindroom toold to the config.plist and only 2 differences; usbfix.aml (something like that) and the corresponding kext were not ticked in the current config.plist but were in the old one.

Surprisingly, if I force a sleep via the Apple menu, the system goes to sleep but will eventually wake up later on and will never go back to sleep. Here is a screenshot taken this morning. Everything was fine until 8:39am. The entry at 1:28am is when I forced the sleep via the menu. I am not sure where to look now. I did all the usual check via the pmset command line and all the parameters that are recommended to fix the sleep issues are set to the right values.
Any suggestion? I have not connected any new hardware.

1693624065800.png

• Thunderbolt devices do not work when connected and powered up before system boots?
  • Thunderbolt devices do not hot plug?
Hey thanks for taking a look!

I believe I did, i just followed the procedure in your flashing guide, but that part was a little confusing to me as i wasn't sure what each line was doing specificially. I ended up with 4 .bin files attached them here.

Correct, no Thunderbolt devices are registering in either case.

Also to clarify, the thunderbolt section in system report (my screenshot,) showed that info even before I attempted the flash, if that's relevant at all.

Attachments

• Flashrom .bins.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Hey thanks for taking a look!

I believe I did, i just followed the procedure in your flashing guide, but that part was a little confusing to me as i wasn't sure what each line was doing specificially. I ended up with 4 .bin files attached them here.

Correct, no Thunderbolt devices are registering in either case.

Also to clarify, the thunderbolt section in system report (my screenshot,) showed that info even before I attempted the flash, if that's relevant at all.
The firmware version is 50 as we can see from offset 0x0A from the start of the active region (0x4000). This means macOS should be reporting 50 or 50.0 instead of unknown_firmware_version.

Because Thunderbolt devices are not connecting either pre-boot or post-boot, it leaves me to conclude that the Thunderbolt subsystem may be damaged.

One option is to purchase a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (either Rev 1 or Rev 2) and flash its firmware. This card is getting harder to find, but it works exceptionally well. It's the only recommended add-in-card for Hackintosh.
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 12.58.35 PM.png

@CaseySJ Hoping someone can help me. My system was sort of stable until Ventura recent updates especially the sleep/wake. I used to be able to leave the system on after after a preset time it would go to sleep and would wake up only if I decided to. It would eventually wake up for maintenance for 30s then go back to sleep and stay asleep. For the past few months now the system does not go to sleep after a preset time. The display will go black but the system stays on. I ran the pmset -g log command to try to isolate the culprit but it is always the same tthing: darkwake to full awake due to RTC/HID activity type of message. But I can't find anything on the net. I did a check of the config plist and noticed that the GPRW.aml was unticked (it was before but somehow hackdrom tool tends to untick it). So I ticked it back and was sure that it woudl fix the issue since I need this aml on my syste, but it did not (the GPRW patch is enabled). I even compared an old config.plist prior to using hackindroom toold to the config.plist and only 2 differences; usbfix.aml (something like that) and the corresponding kext were not ticked in the current config.plist but were in the old one.

Surprisingly, if I force a sleep via the Apple menu, the system goes to sleep but will eventually wake up later on and will never go back to sleep. Here is a screenshot taken this morning. Everything was fine until 8:39am. The entry at 1:28am is when I forced the sleep via the menu. I am not sure where to look now. I did all the usual check via the pmset command line and all the parameters that are recommended to fix the sleep issues are set to the right values.
Any suggestion? I have not connected any new hardware.
Hello @emistral,

I'll update my Z490 Vision D shortly and test sleep/wake before and after the update. Meanwhile, one diagnostic option is to install a fresh copy of Ventura in a new APFS Volume, boot the fresh installation, and check sleep behavior. If sleep works on the baseline system (with the same EFI folder as the main system), then we can start to look for culprits in the main system.

UPDATE:
  • Just completed the update to Ventura 13.6 and tested sleep/wake three times in a row with no problem

Last edited:
The firmware version is 50 as we can see from offset 0x0A from the start of the active region (0x4000). This means macOS should be reporting 50 or 50.0 instead of unknown_firmware_version.

Because Thunderbolt devices are not connecting either pre-boot or post-boot, it leaves me to conclude that the Thunderbolt subsystem may be damaged.

One option is to purchase a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (either Rev 1 or Rev 2) and flash its firmware. This card is getting harder to find, but it works exceptionally well. It's the only recommended add-in-card for Hackintosh.
Wow that's wild, thanks for verifying! Guess I don't suck! ha

The board must have been defective or must have been flashed/damaged by the original purchaser.
Is it possible to flash it back to the original OEM firmware, assuming I don't have a copy?
When u say thunderbolt subsystem is that a software or hardware issue or uncertain?

I actually purchased a second Z490 VisionD board 2 years ago immediately after the first board failed to boot, (it was listed as amazon refurbished.) I thought i fixed the first one after all, then got busy, so I kept the second board unopened in the UPS box till today. Always planned to sell it, but wanted to make sure my first actually worked.

Just switched boards and this one works right away showing:
"No Drivers are loaded" under the TB section in system report.
Both my Lynx Aurora 16 and OWC dock are working including hot swap.

I might buy the Titan Ridge Card and still sell the fully functional board to try to recoup my money/time.
Do the display ports work on the Titan Ridge Card?

Apparently I have bad luck with motherboards, my first ever build X58A-UD3R, was DOA, swapped it for a second unit and it still would not boot, so i was stumped and it sat for a few months before I finally RMA'd to gigabyte they replaced a capacitor and lo and behold it worked.

Anyway thanks for all your help and hard work around here, appreciate you!

Wow that's wild, thanks for verifying! Guess I don't suck! ha

The board must have been defective or must have been flashed/damaged by the original purchaser.
Is it possible to flash it back to the original OEM firmware, assuming I don't have a copy?
When u say thunderbolt subsystem is that a software or hardware issue or uncertain?
If the previous owner attempted to flash the Thunderbolt firmware, it's quite possible they knocked out one or more of the tiny surface-mount resistors/capacitors in the immediate vicinity of the Winbond chip. This is a fairly common accident.

I actually purchased a second Z490 VisionD board 2 years ago immediately after the first board failed to boot, (it was listed as amazon refurbished.) I thought i fixed the first one after all, then got busy, so I kept the second board unopened in the UPS box till today. Always planned to sell it, but wanted to make sure my first actually worked.

Just switched boards and this one works right away showing:
"No Drivers are loaded" under the TB section in system report.
Both my Lynx Aurora 16 and OWC dock are working including hot swap.
That's a good sign! Flashing the firmware is optional. If our Thunderbolt devices work with the standard firmware, it may be best to leave things alone...

I might buy the Titan Ridge Card and still sell the fully functional board to try to recoup my money/time.
Do the display ports work on the Titan Ridge Card?
Yes, the DisplayPort connectors work once we connect cables from our GPU to the DP-In ports.

Hello @CaseySJ ,

I have got a problem, every time the system wake up from sleep, playing the local video will become pausing or stuttering. And the issue is resolved after restarting.
Need your advice. Thank you.

macOS Ventura 13.4.1
OC 0.9.3 (0.9.2 has the same problem)

iMac19,1
Z490 D
i7-10700k
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Broadcom Wifi/BT

Hello @CaseySJ,

I may have discovered the cause of the problem that videos playing stutter. My hardware acceleration is not enabled.
  • "Intel HUD 630" do not appear at the PCI page.
  • The graphic label of VideoProc displays "AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT"
How can i enable the hardware acceleration?
Thanks.

1693841911125.png

1693842005683.png

Back