Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Nothing else needs to change. But if you choose to stay with iMacPro1,1, just observe your system for a few days for any strangeness... If no strangeness is observed, it may be okay to remain on the new system name.

So do I need to literally just type "iMacPro1,1" in that field?

I tried that and I can't see much difference.

If I use the drop down menu to actually select iMacPro1,1 from the list it generates a load of new serial numbers and changes the ROM etc but means I can't boot Catalina any longer (White stop sign on attempted boot).

Thoughts?

So do I need to literally just type "iMacPro1,1" in that field?

I tried that and I can't see much difference.

If I use the drop down menu to actually select iMacPro1,1 from the list it generates a load of new serial numbers and changes the ROM etc but means I can't boot Catalina any longer (White stop sign on attempted boot).

Thoughts?
Correct, but don't forget this part:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 2.36.39 PM.png

Are you using the Z490 Vision D? If so, please mount EFI partition of the macOS SSD, expand the files/folders in the EFI partition, and post a screenshot (do not take a photo with your camera).

A screenshot can be captured by pressing CMD-SHIFT-5 and moving the mouse on top of the window to be captured. The capture file will be saved to the Desktop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.15.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.15.01 PM.png
    575.7 KB · Views: 49
Correct, but don't forget this part:

View attachment 497233

Hey man I disabled Internal Graphics in the BIOS and typed "iMacPro1,1" in the field but havent really seen any difference...at all!

System still works as intended but have not experienced any boost in performance (that I can tell anyways).

Maybe I should be a bit more scientific about it...is Geekbench what people use to benchmark their systems here? I've finally got a few days off music so could do some number crunching assuming I've gone through these steps correctly?

Hey man I disabled Internal Graphics in the BIOS and typed "iMacPro1,1" in the field but havent really seen any difference...at all!

System still works as intended but have not experienced any boost in performance (that I can tell anyways).

Maybe I should be a bit more scientific about it...is Geekbench what people use to benchmark their systems here? I've finally got a few days off music so could do some number crunching assuming I've gone through these steps correctly?
The improvement (if any) will be in Final Cut Pro rendering speeds. Synthetic benchmarks may not show any difference.

I'm facing a problem which completely flummoxes me.

My rear audio jack (green) won't output audio until I plug and unplug a headphone or another speaker from the front panel audio jack. Everything was running fine till last week till I created a composite audio setup using Audio MIDI setup.app and ran audio over the display port connection to my LG 4K monitor and the rear audio jack. I deleted that composite device but things have not returned to normal.

Things I have tried -

1. Complete cold boot
2. Reset NVRAM
3. Rebuilding kext cache
4. Different Layout IDs
5. Deleted all composite audio outputs I created
6. Disconnected the front panel audio jack from the motherboard
7. Check the jack for connection issues (not a problem, because Windows does not see this issue)
8. Remove AppleALC (by disabling in config.plist) and then re-enabling
9. Run first aid on all volumes.

This issue does not show up in Windows. Only macOS, so something has gone wrong in the settings but I can't figure out how to get it to normal.

Running Z490 Vision G, OC 0.6.3 and Catalina 10.15.7 (19H15)

P.S. Well it is fixed. I muted/unmuted and changed sound outputs multiple times in sound preferences and things became normal.

Last edited:
A couple quick questions to ask for some experiences before I start a Big Sur 11.0.1 deployment from scratch...

1. I'm currently on UEFI bios F5d. I've not seen much about experience with upgrades to F7b that's out now other than a reminder to check CFG Lock. Is anyone having problems with Big Sur while staying on F5d? Any particular reason to upgrade to F7b? I don't like upgrading a working UEFI that I don't have to... :)
  2. Any tips that people have in doing a "from scratch" deployment of Big Sur rather than a Catalina upgrade? I'm planning on following the basic outline of the @CaseySJ installation guide but using the OC0.6.3 file set from his Big Sur upgrade mini-guide and adapting as needed. (For instance, the second step of GibMacOS usage to build the "Install..." application is different now...) Any other warnings? I'm going to try to take good notes to provide a high-level guide if I get this done right.
  3. I understand that playback of DRM'ed video is broken currently in Whatever Green due to OS level changes. This isn't a huge use case for me -- but what is this impacting for folks in real-world use? Is it easy to work around for steaming services (Netflix, HBOMAX, etc.) just by moving to Chrome instead of Safari?
Thanks again to all...this is an EXCEEDINGLY helpful Hackintosh thread, the best I've ever stumbled across!

A couple quick questions to ask for some experiences before I start a Big Sur 11.0.1 deployment from scratch...

1. I'm currently on UEFI bios F5d. I've not seen much about experience with upgrades to F7b that's out now other than a reminder to check CFG Lock. Is anyone having problems with Big Sur while staying on F5d? Any particular reason to upgrade to F7b? I don't like upgrading a working UEFI that I don't have to... :)
Good idea to stay on F5d for now. One can always update the BIOS later. Big Sur will work just fine on F5d.
  1. Any tips that people have in doing a "from scratch" deployment of Big Sur rather than a Catalina upgrade? I'm planning on following the basic outline of the @CaseySJ installation guide but using the OC0.6.3 file set from his Big Sur upgrade mini-guide and adapting as needed. (For instance, the second step of GibMacOS usage to build the "Install..." application is different now...) Any other warnings? I'm going to try to take good notes to provide a high-level guide if I get this done right.
Correct. Just download Big Sur from GibMacOS and change the createinstallmedia command line appropriately. It's all self-explanatory.

1. I understand that playback of DRM'ed video is broken currently in Whatever Green due to OS level changes. This isn't a huge use case for me -- but what is this impacting for folks in real-world use? Is it easy to work around for steaming services (Netflix, HBOMAX, etc.) just by moving to Chrome instead of Safari?
Thanks again to all...this is an EXCEEDINGLY helpful Hackintosh thread, the best I've ever stumbled across!
I just tried Netflix on Firefox and it works just fine. It fails, however, in Safari.
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 9.49.56 AM.png

@CaseySJ - One more question...is there a way within OpenCore to see what physical storage device hosts a particular logical volume. When I did my first OpenCore boot from the USB volume, it's showing me an EFI drive alongside the icons for my macOS, macOS backup, and Windows NVMe deployments and the USB installer itself. I just can't tell where this rogue EFI volume physically lives..

Back