Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

That's not recommended because:
  • Carbon Copy Cloner can run EFIClone.sh to back up the EFI partition automatically. This is something a human might forget to do.
  • Bootable backup drives should ideally be 100% self-contained.
That makes sense. That's what I usually do anyway - I was just brainstorming to see if I could make a more efficient way of testing/updating between 3 SSDs and a USB stick.

Besides that, I've still had no luck with the naming of the Big Sur drive in the picker - still appears as Untitled, even though when I boot to Catalina/Big Sur the drive name on my Desktop is Big Sur!

Last edited:
Cool
We discussed this chart by Peter Paul Chato soon after the video first appeared. This is why the Z390 Designare build guide provides this chart:

View attachment 497116

You're welcome to experiment with both iMacPro1,1 and iMac20,2.

Cool I will experiment with the iMac20,2 and the iGPU enabled as headless.

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 15.02.31.png

This is what I have currently. iGPU is already in headless mode but disabled in bios and iMacPro1,1 being used.
Will enable it and switch to iMac20,2

I'm also using 128MB of memory for the iGPU in he bios, I saw this is recommended for 4K monitors. But since i use it only as headless, it shouldn't make a difference I guess.

I also noticed even with 128MB in bios, in Hackintool if I go to Patch > VRAM, I see Stolen as 57mb which is the correct value for HD630 iGPU of 10900K.

I'm having the same issue with Arq on my iHack. Not sure when it started, may have been after recent update to 10.15.7. Tried re-installing latest version of Arq, no luck. Were you able to resolve?
I had the same issue and noted it in a previous post. I believe the issue is that Arq tries to use the Apple T2 security chip on machines that have one. I assume to speed up encryption. An iMac 19,1 doesn't have a T2 chip. The newer iMac's do so when you switch to a model that has a T2 chip, Arq will get this error. I switched back to iMac19,1 and Arq worked fine again. Hope this helps.

We discussed this chart by Peter Paul Chato soon after the video first appeared. This is why the Z390 Designare build guide provides this chart:

View attachment 497116

You're welcome to experiment with both iMacPro1,1 and iMac20,2.

Apologies for my ignorance here.

Might someone be able to guide me through giving another SMBIOS a go?

I'm currently on iMac19,1 and run Logic Pro X in the studio professionally. If there is another one that will provide better performance I'm very interested to give it a go!

Specs:

10900K @ 5.0Ghz 1.28v
Vision G on latest BIOS
32GB DDR3 4000mhz (16 16 16 34)
Radeon 5700XT

Thank you in advance and again thank you to Casey for all your tireless work on this thread (and beyond!).

Apologies for my ignorance here.

Might someone be able to guide me through giving another SMBIOS a go?

I'm currently on iMac19,1 and run Logic Pro X in the studio professionally. If there is another one that will provide better performance I'm very interested to give it a go!

Specs:

10900K @ 5.0Ghz 1.28v
Vision G on latest BIOS
32GB DDR3 4000mhz (16 16 16 34)
Radeon 5700XT

Thank you in advance and again thank you to Casey for all your tireless work on this thread (and beyond!).
We can simply change System Product Name in OpenCore Configurator to iMacPro1,1. This should be considered temporary as there might (or might not) be unwanted side-effects. For performance testing purposes it is okay. It might also be a good idea to try the experiment with Internal Graphics both enabled and disabled in BIOS Setup.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.47.57 AM.png

We can simply change System Product Name in OpenCore Configurator to iMacPro1,1. This should be considered temporary as there might (or might not) be unwanted side-effects. For performance testing purposes it is okay. It might also be a good idea to try the experiment with Internal Graphics both enabled and disabled in BIOS Setup.

View attachment 497150

Thanks for the info Casey!

Does anything need to change in the config.plist with any of the above (aside from the changing of SMBIOS I mean)?

I don't know if it was something I did, but the "Untitled" partition seems to have renamed itself to Big Sur! Although I managed to make a custom entry for my Catalina backup drive, I couldn't get it to use a custom icon no matter what I tried. I've settled for changing the icon of the drive that is picked up automatically, so that I can visually distinguish between them at a glance. Pretty happy with my OpenCanopy theme now :)

The only thing I would change now would be the order of the drives...But I'm not too bothered by it. I found it strange that I couldn't change the Backup drive's icon as a custom entry, but Windows was as simple as dropping the bootmgfw.efi.icns in the same folder. That's a struggle for another day though :D

Attachments

• 19210717.png
    19210717.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 19210729.png
    19210729.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks for the info Casey!

Does anything need to change in the config.plist with any of the above (aside from the changing of SMBIOS I mean)?
Nothing else needs to change. But if you choose to stay with iMacPro1,1, just observe your system for a few days for any strangeness... If no strangeness is observed, it may be okay to remain on the new system name.

Nothing else needs to change. But if you choose to stay with iMacPro1,1, just observe your system for a few days for any strangeness... If no strangeness is observed, it may be okay to remain on the new system name.

Can I change SMBIOS without changing Serial Numbers, ROM, etc?

Can I change SMBIOS without changing Serial Numbers, ROM, etc?
Yes, but observe the system for any strangeness. Hopefully there won't be any, but if there is then we'll need to make additional changes.

Back