Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

It is probably either your BT or WiFi module. When macOS boots up it loads it's own firmware to the modules. When you then boot into Windows, that firmware is still present and Windows won't recognise it. On a cold boot, the Mac firmware is cleared from the module, so Windows will once again recognise it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the BT and Wifi modules are also present in the device manager with their own drivers installed. This device shows in addition to them and no amount of cold booting will get rid of it.

Edit: Just noticed that if I use F12 and boot straight into Windows, bypassing the Opencore Picker, the device does not show up. Seems like this is a by-product of booting through the Opencore picker menu.

Last edited:
One small issue remains. This unknown device in Windows. I can do a clean install of Windows and install all of the drivers to the point where nothing is unaccounted for in the device manager. If I boot into MacOS and let the system sleep then the next time I boot into widows this device shows up in the DM. Anyone know what it is?
Probably no need to worry about that device.

Just done the update to Big Sur on a spare SSD! All went fine, and it looks and works great! One question though, the EFI partition now has a folder called Apple - does it need to be there or can I just replace the EFI with my original OpenCore EFI folder?

Probably no need to worry about that device.
I figured as much, especially as I can boot straight into Windows if it’s an issue. I’m curious to know if anyone else has this or if it’s just me though?

Just done the update to Big Sur on a spare SSD! All went fine, and it looks and works great! One question though, the EFI partition now has a folder called Apple - does it need to be there or can I just replace the EFI with my original OpenCore EFI folder?
That folder is okay and will be created almost every time the O/S is upgraded. It contains new firmware that would be installed on a real iMac19,1 (or whatever system name you are using). But because this is a Hackintosh, nothing will actually happen other than those files being copied to the EFI partition.

So it looks like they are changing the naming convention of macOS. Changing from 10.x.x to 11.x, so the next full version will be 12.x instead of 11.1.x

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 18.48.46.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 18.48.46.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 35
That folder is okay and will be created almost every time the O/S is upgraded. It contains new firmware that would be installed on a real iMac19,1 (or whatever system name you are using). But because this is a Hackintosh, nothing will actually happen other than those files being copied to the EFI partition.
Excellent. That folder has appeared on both my Catalina, and Catalina Backup SSD EFI partitions too, so I take it it’s ok to leave it there too?

So it looks like they are changing the naming convention of macOS. Changing from 10.x.x to 11.x, so the next full version will be 12.x instead of 11.1.x
Just like iOS! I actually prefer that.

Excellent. That folder has appeared on both my Catalina, and Catalina Backup SSD EFI partitions too, so I take it it’s ok to leave it there too?
Yes of course.

Back