Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Yes of course.
Happy to report everything working smoothly then! One last thing though. The EFI Partitions of my Big Sur and Catalina backup SSDs appear in the Opencore picker and the Big Sur drive is named ‘Untitled’ - How can I hide the EFIs and get the Big Sur disk named accordingly? Sorry if i’ve missed this info somewhere in the guide, I couldn’t find anything relating to it!

Attachments

• BEDC9CC1-777C-4C9D-A72B-2D3A565AF68C.jpeg
    BEDC9CC1-777C-4C9D-A72B-2D3A565AF68C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
hey guys, anyone could give me a clue about Geekbench Metal/OpenCL tests?

Just did a Catalina fresh install in my Z390 build now using OpenCore just like the build with Z490 (couldn't imagine how easy would be doing a hackintosh nowadays if I compare with builds using Chameleon back in 2011... thanks CaseySJ and everyone contributing with this forum).

I just run some Geekbench tests and got these numbers:

iMac19,1 (Gigabyte Z390 Designare + 9900k + RX580 + 32gb RAM)
Single-Core Score: 1306
Multi-Core Score: 9056
OpenCL Score: 44267
Metal Score: 51509

iMacPro1,1 (Gigabyte Z490 Vision D + 10900k + RX5700 XT Nitro + 64gb RAM)
Single-Core Score: 1332
Multi-Core Score: 11361
OpenCL Score: 65189
Metal Score: 53472

I was wondering why RX5700 got a Metal Score so close to the RX580 and when comparing OpenCL we got so much difference, when actually OpenCL makes sense for me and I was expecting same difference when comparing Metal Score.

Does anyone have some thought on here?

Is it possible to use this guide to install starting with Big Sur or do I need to start with Catalina? The reason I am asking is I never downloaded the Catalina dmg file and now my Mac will only let me download Big Sur from the App Store. I cannot figure out how to get the Catalina dmg file.

Is it possible to use this guide to install starting with Big Sur or do I need to start with Catalina? The reason I am asking is I never downloaded the Catalina dmg file and now my Mac will only let me download Big Sur from the App Store. I cannot figure out how to get the Catalina dmg file.
Fine to start clean with Big Sur but you can still get Catalina if you need that.

Is it possible to use this guide to install starting with Big Sur or do I need to start with Catalina? The reason I am asking is I never downloaded the Catalina dmg file and now my Mac will only let me download Big Sur from the App Store.

Yes you can just start with Big Sur. It is cleaner than upgrading from Catalina as none of the old stuff can be left behind.

I always do a fresh install and then just reinstall the apps I use.

Fine to start clean with Big Sur but you can still get Catalina if you need that.

Thanks a lot for the info on how to download Catalina! I'll probably try to start with Big Sur but if I run into trouble good to know that I can go back and try with Catalina.

That's one of the first driver installs I do as part of the windows installation. I honestly don't think it's anything to do with the chipset or other hardware drivers. I think it's something in the SSDT's or Kexts that are loaded when I boot through the opencore picker that are presenting to Windows like a spoof device.

That's one of the first driver installs I do as part of the windows installation. I honestly don't think it's anything to do with the chipset or other hardware drivers. I think it's something in the SSDT's or Kexts that are loaded when I boot through the opencore picker that are presenting to Windows like a spoof device.
I also boot through opencore, as it allows me to boot to Mac OS, directly from windows using Bootcamp control panel or to Windows using Mac OS preferences/startup disk. In my case using the installer above solved the problem of an unknown device.

I'd like to thank CaseySJ and everyone else on this forum for helping me to solve my problems. The five beeps I was getting often was from a weak battery. Replaced the battery and beeps gone. Gigabyte must be putting awful batteries in their boards since I have the board for only six months.

As I have posted previously, I have been having a terrible time with boot hanging during bios post. I took AusioDxe.efi out of open core as suggested on this forum and my booting is now blazing fast every time so the booting issue was in the Opencore EFI. Just canceled the RMA for Gigabyte. Thanks all. System working beautifully.

Last edited:
Back