Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Agreed. TSMC 7nm is more power efficient than Samsung 8nm, so I'm really hoping that Big Navi 7nm brings the pain (and performance) to NVidia.
I should also note that AMD Ryzen 4000 desktop processors based on Zen 3 architecture will be announced on October 8. As you might know, we can discuss AMD Ryzen Hackintoshes on this forum since the Rule change went into effect yesterday.

It should be a fun autumn...

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 3.50.36 PM.png

Last edited:
I should also note that AMD Ryzen 4000 desktop processors based on Zen 3 architecture will be announced on October 8. As you might know, we can discuss AMD Ryzen Hackintoshes on this forum since the Rule change went into effect yesterday.

It should be a fun autumn...

View attachment 487583
I have been reading (on other place that must not be mentioned) about Ryzen. I’ve also been reading reviews and some mention that Ryzen may be better for photo/video processing? Anyone have thoughts about this?

I have been reading (on other place that must not be mentioned) about Ryzen. I’ve also been reading reviews and some mention that Ryzen may be better for photo/video processing? Anyone have thoughts about this?
I choose to go with Intel because Ryzen has problems with Adobe programs on Hackintoshes and needs alot of workarounds that I didn't feel like dealing with.

I would do your research. reports of sluggishness from real world use have been popping up.

I think this is a good reminder of the consumer demographic that Apple has abandoned, and hence the reason why we are drawn to Hackintosh. As good as iMacs are, they are encumbered by thermal bottlenecks, closed form factors (non-upgradeable), lack of standard IO, etc.

The RM 750x is more than sufficient for a Z490 with i7-10700K and 64GB RAM. It will even be sufficient if you add AMD Big Navi in the future (assuming drivers are provided by Apple and AMD).
Thank you! I am happy with the RX 580 (for now).

Hello! I followed @CaseySJ and things worked flawlessly. Had it all working in less than an hour. Thanks for all this hard work. Only thing I noticed is if you are trying to install to a SATA drive you must set the SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI. Without it your SATA drives will not show up.

One problem Im having is I cant have multiple NVME drives installed.
I can install in one of the ports and things seem ok, but the second I try and put two nvme drives the machine wont POST. I thought maybe I needed to disable the open SATA ports that conflict with the NVME but no luck there either. I tried disabling SATA 0, 4, & 5 within the BIOS but no luck. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to tripple boot w/ Windows 10 in the M2A_CPU slot, OSX in the M2m_SB slot, and Linux in the M2P_SB slot. I have the OSs all installed and working on their owns just cant get them working nice together.

Thanks in Advance!

Im running OC 0.6.1
Catalina 10.15.6
Gigabyte Vision D
Intel i9 10850K
64GB of Ballistix Ram
x3 500GB WD_BLACK SN750 NVME

One problem Im having is I cant have multiple NVME drives installed.
I can install in one of the ports and things seem ok, but the second I try and put two nvme drives the machine wont POST. I thought maybe I needed to disable the open SATA ports that conflict with the NVME but no luck there either. I tried disabling SATA 0, 4, & 5 within the BIOS but no luck. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to tripple boot w/ Windows 10 in the M2A_CPU slot, OSX in the M2m_SB slot, and Linux in the M2P_SB slot. I have the OSs all installed and working on their owns just cant get them working nice together.

do you have sata drives connected when trying to use multiple NVME?
I think when you use a NVME PCI slot you loose a sata.
I noticed if I have a platter drive via stata in port 0 on the mobo - and a NVME in slot one - no dice. But put the SATA in port 5 - no problems.

Back