Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Yes BIOS was Reset at 2 places. One through Load Optimized Defaults and I also shorted the pin on motherboard to totally reset it. I have only Disabled CSM, enabled Windows 10 WHQL and disabled Serial port. Rest of the settings are unchanged with no overclocking or tweaking. CFG Lock is disabled by default on F6 BIOS of Vision G.
If the system is still unable to sleep properly, try the following:
  • Run Activity Monitor and sort the list by % CPU. Is there a process that is consuming 100% or more of CPU time? Feel free to post a screenshot.
  • Also try disabling XMP Profile 1 in BIOS and set memory speed to 2933 MHz.
  • By the way, how many memory modules are you using? 2 or 4?
  • What is the make/model of your memory?

AMD just announced that Big Navi is coming: October 28. Here's to hoping that macOS Big Sur supports Big Navi, and that AMD's offering is good enough to discipline NVIDA's 3000-series prices. Would be nice to upgrade my hack with a new graphics card. It will be easiest to to add Big Navi, but if it isn't up to snuff, I'm getting a 3080/3080-TI/Super and will use a SSDT to disable it in MacOS.

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to add an SFP+ card on my system (dual boot windows) as i have 10G with my new internet box.
Thinking about an Intel X520-DA1 card (intel drivers) like this one:
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01GHTXHMK/?tag=tonymacx8607-21
connected to my internet box with this (active cable)
https://www.fs.com/fr/products/74611.html

Questions:
- will this kind of card work out of the box?
- will it be ok with dual booting windows?
- should i use smalltree driver kext and do some ethtool mods?

i'm new to these SFP+ cards :shifty:

AMD just announced that Big Navi is coming: October 28. Here's to hoping that macOS Big Sur supports Big Navi, and that AMD's offering is good enough to discipline NVIDA's 3000-series prices. Would be nice to upgrade my hack with a new graphics card. It will be easiest to to add Big Navi, but if it isn't up to snuff, I'm getting a 3080/3080-TI/Super and will use a SSDT to disable it in MacOS.
Although October 28 is later than I expected, it is still good to see the announcement:
  • AMD can offer better power efficiency. The Achilles heal of RTX 30 series may be its power consumption.
  • There are no real-world reviews yet of RTX 30 series, but preliminary speculation suggests that performance does not scale with teraflops. Nvidia cited a doubling of teraflops, but we may soon discover that this does not mean double the real-world performance.
  • AMD 6000 series may get macOS support because Apple still has around 2 years to complete their transition to Apple Silicon. If the 2-year clock began at the late June WWDC announcement, then it has only been 2.5 months since.
  • Due to supply chain issues with COVID-19, October 28 is reasonable. Even iPhone 12 will be delayed by a few weeks according to Apple CFO Luca Maestri at the last earnings call.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ , I’m wondering about the choice of Logitech mouse and keyboard. Why not Apple Magic Mouse and keyboard? BTW, the only thing I really liked and miss about the 2020 iMac is the keyboard.

@CaseySJ , I’m wondering about the choice of Logitech mouse and keyboard. Why not Apple Magic Mouse and keyboard? BTW, the only thing I really liked and miss about the 2020 iMac is the keyboard.
You may try the Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard, but if you encounter (a) connection issues, (b) sleep issues, (c) wake issues, please search this thread for suggestions. The Troubleshooting/FAQ section also has some hints. But for a frustration-free experience, I would pick non-Bluetooth keyboards and mice. Logitech's wireless devices use proprietary RF protocol, but they work in BIOS, OpenCore, and macOS with no sleep/wake issues.

Last edited:
You may try the Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard, but if you encounter (a) connection issues, (b) sleep issues, (c) wake issues, please search this thread for suggestions. The Troubleshooting/FAQ section also has some hints. But for a frustration-free experience, I would pick non-Bluetooth keyboards and mice. Logitech's wireless devices uses proprietary RF protocol, but they work in BIOS, OpenCore, and macOS with no sleep/wake issues.
I use the Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and Magic Trackpad with no issues whatsoever. They work in BIOS too.

You may try the Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard, but if you encounter (a) connection issues, (b) sleep issues, (c) wake issues, please search this thread for suggestions. The Troubleshooting/FAQ section also has some hints. But for a frustration-free experience, I would pick non-Bluetooth keyboards and mice. Logitech's wireless devices uses proprietary RF protocol, but they work in BIOS, OpenCore, and macOS with no sleep/wake issues.
I will check the Troubleshooting/FAQ section. I am presently using a wired Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse 2. I have had persistent wake/sleep issues since my first Hackintosh way back in 2012 (I think that’s about the date). Last night I turned the MM2 off but the sleep/wake issue continues. Time will tell when the D and CPU arrive. The wired Keyboard works in BIOS but not the MM2. I plug in a Microsoft mouse if I need it for BIOS.

Although October 28 is later than I expected, it is still good to see the announcement:
  • AMD can offer better power efficiency. The Achilles heal of RTX 30 series may be its power consumption.
  • There are no real-world reviews yet of RTX 30 series, but preliminary speculation suggests that performance does not scale with teraflops. Nvidia cited a doubling of teraflops, but we may soon discover that this does not mean double the real-world performance.
  • AMD 6000 series may get macOS support because Apple still has around 2 years to complete their transition to Apple Silicon. If the 2-year clock began at the late June WWDC announcement, then it has only been 2.5 months since.
  • Due to supply chain issues with COVID-19, October 28 is reasonable. Even iPhone 12 will be delayed by a few weeks according to Apple CFO Luca Maestri at the last earnings call.

Agreed. TSMC 7nm is more power efficient than Samsung 8nm, so I'm really hoping that Big Navi 7nm brings the pain (and performance) to NVidia.

Back