Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

A new macOS will come out every year.

But the end is coming for Hackintosh! :(

Not right away, however, but within the next 8-10 years when new versions of macOS will only be released for Apple ARM processors.

You are absolutely correct my friend.

Hey @CaseySJ, thanks for your hard work, love your guides, I've managed to install OS and flash thunderbolt from first try, all working just great and without any problems. Just notices one weird thing which not affecting work of thunderbolts in any way but I've noticed that I have half speed on TB's and with x2 which kind off making it full speed (40 Gb/s) logically. Haven't done DROM yet. Didn't managed to find any info about this. Any ideas? Thanks.
flashed thunderbolt.png

Hey @CaseySJ, thanks for your hard work, love your guides, I've managed to install OS and flash thunderbolt from first try, all working just great and without any problems. Just notices one weird thing which not affecting work of thunderbolts in any way but I've noticed that I have half speed on TB's and with x2 which kind off making it full speed (40 Gb/s) logically. Haven't done DROM yet. Didn't managed to find any info about this. Any ideas? Thanks.
View attachment 477577
Hello @abrunovski,

Welcome to the forum and welcome also to the Society of Mad Scientists. We reserve that membership to those who've flashed their on-board Thunderbolt controller!

Now it's necessary to follow the Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide and use the SSDT in that guide:

s

@CaseySJ I don't want to hijack this thread—we should throw this convo onto a separate thread—but it would be great to hear your thoughts on this. My two cents:
- It is too soon to tell exactly how ARM hardware will shape macOS, but based on Apple's approach in other domains it is fair to conjecture this will make macOS less malleable and further out of reach
- If so, this would specifically hamstring the Hackintosh community who have relied on the relative universality of Intel binaries and chipsets to get macOS to work across non-mac devices
- This could prompt a backlash against Apple from a core of pro users who have stood by the company through some considerable missteps. I'm thinking here of the multi-year keyboard debacle and Apple's incessant drive towards making devices minutely slimmer at the expense of things pro users actually want, like upgradeable storage, better batteries, and escape keys.
- By contrast, Apple's browbeaten rivals in Microsoft have dramatically upped their game by courting the developer community. Visual Studio Code is now ubiquitous (and rightly so, because it is superb), and Microsoft's purchase of Github (and derivatively NPM) and their continued support for those ecosystems demonstrates a really, really strong counterpoint to any "walled garden" Apple may be building.
- Conclusion? This is gonna be an interesting fight to watch. ;)
soo.... Hackintosh becomes... Apple Pi? :)
You are absolutely correct my friend.
Please see my thoughts on this here ("The end of Hackintosh as we know it"):
We can discuss this issue further in the Z390 Designare thread.

I actually don't think there will be a "fight" between heavily invested users in the Intel platform and Apple who wants to obsolete that investment! This is because the same thing happened from PowerPC to Intel. The Apple community rejoiced because PowerPC had stagnated and Intel was aggressively out-competing everyone else.

Today, however, Intel has lost the edge and Apple is out-competing everyone else on the CPU front. If you look at my chart in the link, can you imagine what Apple's A18X or A22X will be compared to Intel's current trajectory?

In other words, Apple may finally be able to produce the "Hackintosh" that we all dreamed of. And we can just go buy it ready-made. No sleep issues, no USB issues, no EFI issues, no black screen issues, ... :) Ah, my life would become so much easier...

Last edited:

Last edited:
New BIOS for Vision-D is now at Gigabyte page: BIOS . F5a works - sure after setup CFG lock again. Everything is fine from my perspective. Some BIOS options like XHCI Hand-off are now near to configuration needed for Hackintosh.

New BIOS for Vision-D is now at Gigabyte page: BIOS . F5a works - sure after setup CFG lock again. Everything is fine from my perspective. Some BIOS options like XHCI Hand-off are now near to configuration needed for Hackintosh.
Thx, new BIOS for Vision G (F6a) released too!

Update:
BIOS updated successfully!

Last edited:
@hughythomas would you kindly emphasize the system overload issue you are experiencing?
I, like you, am using an i9-10900k without any system issues whatsoever.
I may be able to possibly assist.

Hey Tonben

Thank you for your offer of help!

I stayed up all night working in Logic Pro X 10.5.0 so am a little sleepy. Someone earlier asked about my system overloads...I should mention all my projects are at 96kHz as I'm one of those annoying music producers who hears a difference.

The problems I am having with the build are the following (I am using Ayvan's EFI from post 476 which I've also linked below):
  • USB related issue when my RME Fireface 802 is connected that way which results in 30 seconds before Totalmix loads. Totalmix behaves normally when the FF802 is connected by way of Firewire (see below).
  • Audio drop outs/glitches system wide (this seems a little better when using the firewire 800 interconnect and PCI-E add in card vs. USB). The Fireface 802 conveniently has both Firewire & USB connectivity.
  • System overloads in Logic Pro X (my 10900K is clocked to 5.1Ghz with 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4)
  • Rendering a mix in Logic Pro X you see the locator bar jumping backwards in time sometimes in an akward manner. It still bounces correctly so I consider this minor.
I'm hoping someone with a Vision G (who is more expert than I) can come to the rescue with either a beautifully crafted EFI folder and/or noobs guide for dinosaurs like me!

What I noticed in Ayvan's EFI is way more kexts that didn't seem to be previously required. I wonder if there may be some unnecessary clutter in there? Having said this, Ayvan's is the best I've used so far so!

I work professionally in the music industry recording artists/bands which I know is a bit of a gamble with hackintosh (especially as an early adopter of Z490/10900K) but I have been doing this for 10 years and Apple simply don't offer a computer that can handle my requirements both by way of power and budget but I digress.

Best,

Tom

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 57
@CaseySJ
I tried disable SSDT for USB mapping, it detected the USB after reboot. When I enable the SSDT, the system didn't detect the USSB. Should I create the SSDT again?
Is the internal macOS drive an NVMe (M.2) SSD?

Is the backup drive an internal SATA SSD or an external SATA SSD mounted inside a USB 3 enclosure?

Does the backup disk also have an EFI partition? Does that partition contain the same EFI folder as the internal SSD?

Gigabyte has deleted the F4d BIOS from their website. F2 and F3 are still available. I believe there are GPU-related bugs in F4d. We should upgrade to F5a.

Back