Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

OK so obviously I can't swear here.

But I LOVE YOU MAN.

Changed the serials, booted from your EFI and boom the audio dropouts were significantly reduced over Firewire. I then just tried over USB and played an entire project of mine at 96Khz with loads of UAD-2 plugs, Waves, Plugin Alliance & Drumforge and its working!

I'm disappointed that the upgrade to a 10900K hasn't fixed system overloads in Logic X but at this stage I'll just take a working computer tbh!

Whats the secret? Did you compile your own from vanilla OpenCore? Did you use CaseSJ's Vision D as a template? I'd love to know but thank you so much for posting this!!
My configuration based on @CaseySJ Vision D, but I deleted everything that is not required on Vision G (Thunderbolt SSDT etc.), make my own USB ports mapping and turned off OpenCanopy.efi
I think, all other parameters are similar to @CaseySJ configuration for Vision D. But you can compare it by yourself.

I'm using OpenCore 0.5.9 from @CaseySJ ZIP-archive.

Update:
In my version ALC 1220 layout-id is not in boot args, but injected in DeviceProperties, and layout-id=7 (not 11)

Update 2:
you can change UIScale in NVRAM options to 01, my set to 02 because I'm using 4K monitor.

Last edited:
Thank you Ayvan you have saved my bacon here.

Here's hoping that in time, more people purchase the Vision G so we can get some golden builds (and hopefully guides) for the noobs like me.

I've been hackintoshing for 10 years but so used to the Clover way this new OpenCore is clearly superior but a bit daunting for a dinosaur like me!

My bad, I must have missed something. I'm now getting -

ImportError: cannot import name 'Hue2Accessory' from 'liquidctl.util' (/usr/local/Cellar/liquidctl/1.3.3_1/libexec/lib/python3.8/site-packages/liquidctl/util.py) o_O
Okay, the saga continues... This version of util.py should be used. In fact, just grab all of the files in the screenshot below and copy them to the liquidctl folder (overwrite the previous ones).

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 9.25.22 AM.png

This reminds me of a flight two years ago from California to New York with a layover at Chicago O'Hare. Due to last minute thunderstorms, the flight circled the region (holding pattern) and was then asked to divert to a regional airport about 80 miles away and wait on the ground. When we eventually arrived at Chicago the flight attendant made the most memorable remark:

We hope you enjoyed the ride as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride.

So I hope you're "enjoying the ride" :)

Last edited:
Thank you Ayvan you have saved my bacon here.

Here's hoping that in time, more people purchase the Vision G so we can get some golden builds (and hopefully guides) for the noobs like me.

I've been hackintoshing for 10 years but so used to the Clover way this new OpenCore is clearly superior but a bit daunting for a dinosaur like me!
And one more thing: update you BIOS to F5f version if you version is older. Don't forget to set CFGLock to disabled (unlock MSR 0xE2) and re-configure BIOS as explained in Post #1 after BIOS update!

Update:
new BIOS versions (F4d for Vision D and F5f for Vision G) disappeared from Gigabyte official site o_O

Last edited:
Good call :)
In the iOS 14 Siri presentation, one of the bullet items was "How do you get to Big Sur". That was the giveaway! :)

But it is not 10.16.

Instead it is ... drumroll ...

macOS 11 Big Sur

It's about time they went from X (10) to 11.

So technically, macOS 11.0.

At 14 minutes and 13 seconds:

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.34.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Glad to hear it.

Are you saying that AppleSystemInfo.strings contains the new processor name, but it does not appear in About this Mac? Here's a screenshot of my version of that file (opened using BBEdit):

View attachment 477305
Hi
I solved my problem. I wrote a small script that patched every AppleSystemInfo.strings that was in the *.lproj folders by adding the name of the associated locale to the processors' name. I ran it, went to the "about my Mac" panel and bingo, my processor was named "core... en_GB". So I concluded that the file that had been patched was the en_GB one, while my locale was "en" and I had chosen "1. English" and not "2. UK English" in sudo languagesetup.

So I don't really understand the actual reason but the file I had to patch on my system was in en_GB.

Anyway... thanks for your help!

Heya thank you for the reply!

Yes, I've tried all of them now same problem :(

I get audio drop outs system wide and RME's Totalmix software takes ages to load on boot. I've also just seen on startup that the blue LED for 'USB' on the front of the audio interfaces comes on just as the software driver finally launches so my issue is definitely USB related.

I've attached my EFI folder - might there be someone who would kindly take a look? Happy to sling something your way as an appreciation i just need it working in Logic Pro X URGENTLY!

I'm getting rather desperate now as originally I bought a Ryzen upgrade that didn't work out well...at all. That had to be sent back as none of the 3rd party plugins were working in Logic. This whole upgrade has cost me 3 weeks off of work now and my clients are understandably getting rather agitated!

Best,

Tom

EDIT: I have tried CaseySJ's EFI folder to boot just now on my Vision G (both v1 and v2 open core 0.5.9) and they are slower and still both exhibit the same issue with USB :(
Tom,

I am no where close to being an expert on any of this but I am a tech theatre person that does lighting, sound, video so I use Logic Pro, Protools with many plugins, the entire Adobe production suite. My sound interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Everything works great. I have had the problem you described in anything connected to sound no matter what program. As you wrote, it is a usb problem. Since I have the vision D, I have not had the problem. On the Z390 Designare only two ports worked but I was using clover. My current Vision D EFI is pretty much CaseySJ's EFI Folder with some tweaks and an ssdt for the Vega 64. I noticed you are using SSDT-EC-USBX where as I am using SSDT-EC. Also, I have SSDT-USBW. I have also disabled the built in audio and disabled VoodooHDA.kext. Possibly any of these could be the difference. I have attached my EFI. You will need to disable SSDT-RX Vega 64-Version 2.3 and dAGPM.kext and disable the vega64 fix patch and TB3 since G does not have it. I use opencore configurator to do this. You will also need to add agdpmod=pikera to your boot argument since you are using the amd 5700... I hope this helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 66
Back