Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Comes out with a problem, after I reboot the system, the first time it end up with an error(I enabled -V) and couldn’t get into the sys,and I reboot it again, there are errors too but it made to the login screen,but after I entered the password,the sys just crashed and froze over. Can’t do anything now, waiting does no good.

Comes out with a problem, after I reboot the system, the first time it end up with an error(I enabled -V) and couldn’t get into the sys,and I reboot it again, there are errors too but it made to the login screen,but after I entered the password,the sys just crashed and froze over. Can’t do anything now, waiting does no good.
It’s happening every time now, can’t get into the system at all.

@CaseySJ tested the last version of Catalina Installer. With new SSDT and XhciPortLimit quirk it starts. Without quirk can't start, but USB drive was inserted to SS10 port (frontal USB 3.1 port) and maybe system can't mount it - without quirk system can see only 15 ports, and last port is SS03.

Note: USB installer contains OC 0.5.9 version of EFI from Post #1 + Vision G SSDT-UIAC (my last version).

Update:
Successfully started installer without XhciPortLimit quirk using SS01/SS02 USB Type-C port (with USB 3.0 to Type-C adapter).
So if we enable XhciPortLimit quirk with the USB SSDT, then we can use any of the 21 ports during Installation?

It’s happening every time now, can’t get into the system at all.
It's possible that macOS has been corrupted. Please do not install Intel Power Gadget at this time.

One option now is to recover your system from the bootable backup disk that you created in Step 13. Like this:
  • Connect the bootable back disk.
  • Reboot computer.
  • Press F12 during BIOS splash screen and choose the backup disk.
  • At the OpenCore menu, boot the backup disk volume (not the standard internal disk).
You can then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the backup disk back to the original internal disk:

SOURCE = Backup Disk
DESTINATION = Internal Disk

So if we enable XhciPortLimit quirk with the USB SSDT, then we can use any of the 21 ports during Installation?
My last SS10 port number 21 (0x1A in SSDT) works during installation, so, if think, all ports can works as USB 2.0 or USB 3.1. You can test it too for 16+ ports with your SSDT-UIAC version 2.

In my installed system USB SSDT with XhciPortLimit quirk works good with 21 ports, without quirk (as I say early in this thread) now I can use only 15 ports. So, I think, SSDT + quirk is best solution for me at this time.

My last SS10 port number 21 (0x1A in SSDT) works during installation, so, if think, all ports can works as USB 2.0 or USB 3.1. You can test it too for 16+ ports with your SSDT-UIAC version 2.

In my installed system USB SSDT with XhciPortLimit quirk works good with 21 ports, without quirk (as I say early in this thread) now I can use only 15 ports. So, I think, SSDT + quirk is best solution for me at this time.
Yes, that is the conclusion I was looking for.

Update: New Vision G package file uploaded to Post 1.

Last edited:

Using both the XhciPortLimit quirk and SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2.aml (with more than 15 USB ports) I was finally able to install macOS without any issue. The kernel quirk is necessary when we exceed 15 USB ports. Will update Post #1 soon.

Hello @TijuanaKez,

It's very likely that the OpenCore EFI will not work with High Sierra. If you see the Troubleshooting / FAQ section, you'll see that it doesn't work for Mojave either.

Regarding config-Intel-iGPU.plist, this version sets Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007, which enables video output from the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the rear IO panel. We can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to connect the monitor. Note, however, that certain media applications such as (a) iMovie, (b) Final Cut Pro, (c) ACDSee Photo Editor for Mac, etc. will crash immediately.

The other file, config-AMD-GPU.plist, sets Platform ID to 0x3E980003, which disables all video output from the iGPU. All applications will run with this configuration. iMovie, Final Cut Pro, ACDSee Photo Editor, etc. will all work correctly.

Ok thanks for that! Certainly looks like running 10.13.x on this board/CPU is probably not going to happen. I guess that means Windows for nVidia/CUDA.

Do you know if config-Intel-iGPU.plist would allow an UAD Apollo to work on one port, and display on the other? Is it only media apps with Metal2 acceleration that should crash? Presumably audio apps should work then?

I believe I'll need to add -wegnoegpu to keep the nVidia cards in the machine. Can you see any conflicts with config-Intel-iGPU.plist and using the -wegnoegpu flag?

This particular crash appears to be from Chrome. If you uninstall it, does the system become stable?
Following up here to help any folks who have similar experiences: I had dozens of application crashes and kernel panics, most of which appeared to involve a bad interaction of my GPU with Chrome renderers/helpers. Because the Chromium engine underpins a lot of other software I use (Electron applications like Slack, VS Code, MongoDB Compass etc.) I couldn't just uninstall Chrome, and the frequent crashes were becoming quite unbearable.

I'm pleased to say that since updating my BIOS to F4d I have had no crashes at all, and the system is dramatically more stable.

We can just copy the HS14 section from either of those SSDTs and paste them into our own.
Thanks, @CaseySJ! For those following along, here are some more details which have resulted in perfectly working Bluetooth from the onboard AX201 chip.

For those following @CaseySJ's superb guide, the steps are as follows:
  1. Download the latest release from zxystd's repository. This is a zip file with two Intel Bluetooth kexts.
  2. Mount EFI partition of the macOS SSD.
  3. Copy those two Intel Bluetooth kexts to EFI/OC/kexts
  4. Add the kexts to your config.plist (manually or using OpenCore Configurator)
  5. You now need to add HS14 (the "port" for the Bluetooth controller) to the system.
    • This requires editing some code in SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V1.aml in your EFI, and specifically adding this Bluetooth port requires removing one other port. I chose to remove HS12 (the RGB controller), since I am not presently using it. If you intend to use the same configuration, you can download my copy of SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V1.aml attached to this post and replace your EFI copy with it.
    • Otherwise, use MaciASL to add the code from the spoiler below to SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V1.aml. Remember to remove the code for one other port in order that the total "package" count remains the same at 0x1E. To choose which ports to edit/remove, consult @CaseySJ's useful port layout guide in the Tech Talk section of post #1.
      Code:
      "HS14",Package (0x04)
      {
      "UsbConnector",
      0xFF,
      "port",
      Buffer (0x04)
      {
      0x0E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
      }
      },
  6. Add uia_include=HS14 to your boot arguments in config.plist (manually or using OpenCore Configurator)
  7. Reboot and clean NVRAM by going to Tools in the startup screen
Code:
$ FS0:
$ cd EFI/OC/Tools/
$ CleanNvram.efi

After rebooting, you should see some changes in your system indicating that HS14 is active (appears in IORegistryExplorer at HS14 as a Broadcom device with zxystd as "publisher", and in System Report as Bluetooth HC1 from Intel Corporation). You should be able to see additional logging with log show --last boot | grep IntelFirmware, and your Bluetooth adapter should be working well.

Do not forget to attach the antenna to the back brass outlets—your device may appear unavailable without this.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 1.01.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 1.46.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 2.59.42 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V1.aml
    840 bytes · Views: 169
Back