Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

What does the link speed on your router/switch say the connection is at? Is it possible your Ethernet cable is 100Base-T (Whatever that was, Cat-4?), and not 1000Base-T?

Yep, I'm going to start swapping cables...but the one I'm using right now provided Gigabit on my old Hackintosh...

Hmm I've tried twice to update to 10.15.6 and both times the system fails to completely boot into the OS. I think it might be complications from the Sapphire RX 5700 XT. Im running Bios F5D with all the following hardware:

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel I7 10700K
Mushkin Pilot 2TB PCIe NVMe 1.3 M.2
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ Rx 5700 Xt
Fenvi T919 Wifi/BT card
G.Skill 32 GB (2 x 16GB) RipJaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz

Other than the 10.15.6 update this has been a solid machine so far.

With the new F5d firmware, Vision D has become my all-time favorite board for Hackintosh!
Me too, but for those like me using their rig on Windows, too bad that the iGPU HDMI port is not working oob. for AAA Games in 4k NVidia still unbeatable, AMD is far far behind unfortunately...
So if anyone can fix that, he's the man !!!

Hmm I've tried twice to update to 10.15.6 and both times the system fails to completely boot into the OS. I think it might be complications from the Sapphire RX 5700 XT. Im running Bios F5D with all the following hardware:

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel I7 10700K
Mushkin Pilot 2TB PCIe NVMe 1.3 M.2
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ Rx 5700 Xt
Fenvi T919 Wifi/BT card
G.Skill 32 GB (2 x 16GB) RipJaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz

Other than the 10.15.6 update this has been a solid machine so far.

i'm running z490 vision d, i9 10900k and the same graphics card. I didn't have any problems with the update, it just seemed to hang 2-3 times

What is meant by "the system fails to completely boot into the OS"? Does it mean:
  • The macOS updater fails to start? The Apple logo and progress bar appear, but it freezes?
  • The macOS updater installs part 1, reboots, and then does not begin part 2 because it freezes while booting?
  • The macOS updater installs part 1, reboots, continues with part 2, the progress bar reaches the end, but then the login screen does not appear?

Me too, but for those like me using their rig on Windows, too bad that the iGPU HDMI port is not working oob. for AAA Games in 4k NVidia still unbeatable, AMD is far far behind unfortunately...
So if anyone can fix that, he's the man !!!
Wait for Big Navi... Supposed to be significantly faster than RTX 2080 Ti.

Or simply use USB-C to DisplayPort cable. No need to use HDMI because we also have two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports that can be used with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. But Platform ID needs to be changed to 0x3E9B0007. And some Audio/Video apps such as iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and others will crash on load.

i'm running z490 vision d, i9 10900k and the same graphics card. I didn't have any problems with the update, it just seemed to hang 2-3 times
The progress bar can move slowly. Very slowly. But if the installer doesn't start within 10 minutes then yes it's frozen.

Firstly, just a note that I put an nVidia GTX980Ti in the second PCIe slot for use in windows and It doesnt seem to affect Catalina at all. Maybe this is trivial now, but it used to be that some tinkering was needed to specifically target and spoof the slot so it was a pleasant surprise!

But now I have a windows problem. I used to have a working Windows 10 SSD for dual boot, but all of a sudden, this drive is not detected as a boot option in Bios or OpenCore. The files are all there and it doesnt appear to have other issues, so I'll assume something has corrupted the EFI boot. To avoid reinstalling I was hoping the OpenCore might come to the rescue but...

OpenCore boot loader and the N-D-K fork that provides enhanced support for Windows dual boot
Uses N-D-K fork of OpenCore 0.5.8 with N-D-K graphical boot picker (Update: N-D-K fork of OpenCore has not been updated to 0.5.9; please use attached OpenCore Standard 0.5.9)

Is there any updated information on getting Windows partitions detected in OpenCore in relation to this build/guide?

Firstly, just a note that I put an nVidia GTX980Ti in the second PCIe slot for use in windows and It doesnt seem to affect Catalina at all. Maybe this is trivial now, but it used to be that some tinkering was needed to specifically target and spoof the slot so it was a pleasant surprise!

But now I have a windows problem. I used to have a working Windows 10 SSD for dual boot, but all of a sudden, this drive is not detected as a boot option in Bios or OpenCore. The files are all there and it doesnt appear to have other issues, so I'll assume something has corrupted the EFI boot. To avoid reinstalling I was hoping the OpenCore might come to the rescue but...

Is there any updated information on getting Windows partitions detected in OpenCore in relation to this build/guide?
Some questions:
  • Does the Windows SSD contain an EFI partition?
    • If so, does that partition contain an EFI folder and a "Microsoft" sub-folder?
  • Is there a "Microsoft" sub-folder inside the "EFI" folder in the EFI partition of the macOS SSD?
  • Other than Windows and macOS SSDs, are there any other SSDs or hard drives?
  • Have you tried shutting down the system and flipping the power switch to OFF for 10 seconds, then restarting?

What is meant by "the system fails to completely boot into the OS"? Does it mean:
  • The macOS updater fails to start? The Apple logo and progress bar appear, but it freezes?
  • The macOS updater installs part 1, reboots, and then does not begin part 2 because it freezes while booting?
  • The macOS updater installs part 1, reboots, continues with part 2, the progress bar reaches the end, but then the login screen does not appear?
1.Installer starts.
2.machine reboots into the update installer.
3.I get several reboots but the progress bar never completes to a login screen. Ive given up to an hour for completion with no success.
4 I give up and do several reboots, reset NVRAM, try couple more reboots then ultimately resort to a system restore back to 10.15.5.

Back