Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Two small questions! :)

1) Is it possible for OpenCore to boot Legacy Windows 10? I enabled BIOS CSM support and checked LegacyEnabled in OpenCore Configurator. It didn't help. No disk in the boot options (though I can boot it up from BIOS).

2) I noticed CPU fan accelerates and decelerates all the time. Is there a way to "edit fan response curve"? To make it spin with the same speed most of the time.

Thanks again!

2) I noticed CPU fan accelerates and decelerates all the time. Is there a way to "edit fan response curve"? To make it spin with the same speed most of the time.

In BIOS you can start Smart Fan 5 tool and edit fan speed curve.
If your fan have max speed ~2200-2500 RPM, set min speed at 60-70%.
You can use my settings as example:
bios_screen.jpg

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Two small questions! :)

1) Is it possible for OpenCore to boot Legacy Windows 10? I enabled BIOS CSM support and checked LegacyEnabled in OpenCore Configurator. It didn't help. No disk in the boot options (though I can boot it up from BIOS).
OpenCore 0.5.8 and 0.5.9 zip files in Post 1 have no trouble booting Windows on my system. When I installed Windows, I created an EFI partition on the Windows SSD, so the Microsoft boot loader is installed in its own EFI partition (not MBR).

At the OpenCore Picker menu, do you see either a Windows or Bootcamp option?

Official apology…..

In an earlier post I stated….stable thunderbolt 3 performance was not possible without implementing the flash procedure. I emphasized it was an absolute necessity.

I was absolutely wrong.

The persistent clocking type noise issues we were experiencing at 192kHz, was identified as restrictions of the chosen audio monitor controllers. Digital connectivity from UA devices to the Heritage Audio Ram 2000 is limited to 96kHz. This fact resulted in the aforementioned dilemma.

I herby humbly retract my previous statement.

I can attest….UA devices (in our case Apollo x8p, Apollo x8 and Octo satellites) are recognized and successfully link to a stock (un-flashed) @CaseySJ inspired Z490 chipset build. This, with unmitigated Thunderbolt 3 implementation.

@maeluse I followed @CaseySJ's guide without deviation. We now have three Z490 builds immersed in full audio and video productions without complications.

Tony.
Thank you for the update -- added to Troubleshooting / FAQ:

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 4.06.25 AM.png

Official apology…..

In an earlier post I stated….stable thunderbolt 3 performance was not possible without implementing the flash procedure. I emphasized it was an absolute necessity.

I was absolutely wrong.

The persistent clocking type noise issues we were experiencing at 192kHz, was identified as restrictions of the chosen audio monitor controllers. Digital connectivity from UA devices to the Heritage Audio Ram 2000 is limited to 96kHz. This fact resulted in the aforementioned dilemma.

I herby humbly retract my previous statement.

I can attest….UA devices (in our case Apollo x8p, Apollo x8 and Octo satellites) are recognized and successfully link to a stock (un-flashed) @CaseySJ inspired Z490 chipset build. This, with unmitigated Thunderbolt 3 implementation.

@maeluse I followed @CaseySJ's guide without deviation. We now have three Z490 builds immersed in full audio and video productions without complications.

Tony.

So great to read this @tonben ! Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation of the problem. That's definitely reassuring... let's have another Z490-immersed-in-full-audio build very soon then! ;)

So great to read this @tonben ! Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation of the problem. That's definitely reassuring... let's have another Z490-immersed-in-full-audio build very soon then! ;)

This has been an absolute pleasure to construct. The most difficulty was acquiring the components.

Once completed, you will be ecstatic.

I have built multiple systems. This is the most stable.

Tony.

I just found out that my system is crashing (kernel panic) when editing photos in the the Photos app (having the app open and viewing photos works perfectly fine). I found some other users on the internet reporting the same problem. It seems to be related to my gpu (5700 XT). Does anyone know something about this? Do other users with the same GPU have similar problems?

To test sleep with iGPU only, you could try the following:
  • Set platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and add the Boot Argument -wegnoegpu (WEG No External GPU).
  • Alternatively, it may be necessary to:
    • Remove RX 5700 XT
    • Perform CMOS Reset
    • Then try to boot

I just tried it. With the changed platform ID and -wegnoegpu the system wasn’t entering sleep at all.

Just recently I noticed something else though. Windows seems to have similar sleep issues (randomly). Maybe it’s happening since F5a. Sometimes it’s doing exactly the same that happened in macOS: shutting down instead of sleeping and cold double boot after I turn it on again (I have to press the power button 2-3 times for that). So I guess I can stop looking for problems in my macOS configuration... The root might be something completely OS unrelated... I just don’t know if this is good or bad news

I just tried it. With the changed platform ID and -wegnoegpu the system wasn’t entering sleep at all.

Just recently I noticed something else though. Windows seems to have similar sleep issues (randomly). Maybe it’s happening since F5a. Sometimes it’s doing exactly the same that happened in macOS: shutting down instead of sleeping and cold double boot after I turn it on again (I have to press the power button 2-3 times for that). So I guess I can stop looking for problems in my macOS configuration... The root might be something completely OS unrelated... I just don’t know if this is good or bad news
That doesn't sound too good. But have you tried switching to Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and physically removing the RX 5700 XT?

Back